Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which vps providers allow 100% cpu usage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which vps providers allow 100% cpu usage?

Which vps providers allow 100% cpu usage? And do they allow 100% cpu usage 24 hours a day?

Comments

• I hope you don't expect to get that at LEB pricing.

• Every dedicated server provider, of course :)
    For VPS - forget it.

• lease a dedicated server

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I will allow it, if you pay for a dedicated core. But at that point you might as well get a dedicated server

• There are really vps and cloud providers who do allow 100% cpu usage.

@Fliphost said:
    I will allow it, if you pay for a dedicated core. But at that point you might as well get a dedicated server

What will that cost me?

• @Bogdacutuu said:
    I hope you don't expect to get that at LEB pricing.

OVH/Kimsufi did release dedicated servers at that pricing in the past.

• @philipharris said:
    There are really vps and cloud providers who do allow 100% cpu usage.

What will that cost me?

It will cost you the same as the providers that allow 100% usage, because those companies will make you pay for a dedicated core too

• @texteditor: Please remove the insulting part of your comment. I don't think offensive language is appropriate.

• I think it is, because you are the type of person who thinks they can abuse shared resources and ruin VPSs for a whole node.

What you want to buy is VDS or a dedicated server

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I sell dedicated cores for €28 p/month in Miami + the VPS price on top.

• So how much CPU power do you really need and what are you going to use it for?

• Get a kimsufi 2g when they come back in stock. Makes no sense to buy a dedicated core on a vps since they'll cost the same as a dedicated server in most cases.

• probably mining dumb nerd e-money

• But CPU mining is not efficient enough to be cost effective? I mean the mined currency will not be worth enough to cover the electricity cost used for the mining?

• yeah but the VPS provider/other customers on the node are paying that electricity costs, so it becomes much more efficient

• maybe bluevm quarter or half server can help. i think cores can be divided equally, not sure, havent tried it

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We allow the usage of the vCPU to 100%. Meaning, if you have 4 cores and run a multithreaded app, you can have a load of 4 at max. Most of our servers use below 30% of CPU, therefore that is no problem, but if you go over maximum load, then we will suspend you.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Bogdacutuu said:

Tell some of my clients that :/

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

It is possible at LEB pricing, but with providers who overlook or grudgingly tolerate your CPU usage (for time being). But I doubt many LEB providers will openly allow it, not to mention advertise that they permit 100% CPU 24x7.

• I'm not sure if Edis allows it, but somehow it happened that one of SSHd processes froze and I wasn't able to kill it, so it ended up using 100% of cpu for a pretty long time. I did message William via IRC, but he didn't respond, so I just thought, that I will wait till someone emails me about the issue, but the email never came.

• DO allows it, never had any problems running a Gmod sandbox server.

• How can you get over maximum load in the first place?

@Maounique said:
    We allow the usage of the vCPU to 100%. Meaning, if you have 4 cores and run a multithreaded app, you can have a load of 4 at max. Most of our servers use below 30% of CPU, therefore that is no problem, but if you go over maximum load, then we will suspend you.

• skaska Member
    edited October 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: I hope you don't expect to get that at LEB pricing.

@Nick_A said:
    Tell some of my clients that :/

Maybe you should change your advertisement then ;-)

• What is "DO"??

@taronyu said:
    DO allows it, never had any problems running a Gmod sandbox server.

• spekkspekk Member
    edited October 2013

not anymore, they suspended my account and asked to me to justity the high cpu usage, so if you are planning to mine crypto DO is not the best choice, I think they allow it, but just for periods of time, e.g. 1-2 days, but not 30 days.

@taronyu said:
    DO allows it, never had any problems running a Gmod sandbox server.

• @spekk said:
    not anymore, they suspended my account and asked to me to justity the high cpu usage, so if you are planning to mine crypto DO is not the best choice, I think they allow it, but just for periods of time, e.g. 1-2 days, but not 30 days.

If I recall correctly DO had a issue with miners using their free credit to mine e-money.

• @philipharris said:
    What is "DO"??

>

Do is Digital Ocean.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@philipharris said:
    What is "DO"??

Digital Ocean.

You can go over the maximum in OVZ locking cores due to the poor isolation OVZ provides (a container, not a VM). We had once 2000 billion load from one guy, it happens weekly at least once to have loads over 2000 in a container...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I would agree with the assessments that the value of a single CPU core is lower on a dedicated server than a shared server. Therefore the cost of obtaining a dedicated core, in a way that isn't costing the provider in their potential profit, is found lowest in something like an L5420.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

The sarcastic answer: HardCloud advertises that their VPS's come with "dedicated hardware" so running a CPU at 100% 24/7 shouldn't be a problem with them :P

The serious answer: LEB nobody offers it. ServInt, and a few others offer plans with dedicated cores but it would probably be cheaper to rent a dedicated server. ServInt's plans start at $149 monthly for 2 guaranteed cores (of an X3440).