Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought a scam residential proxy service, what should I do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I bought a scam residential proxy service, what should I do?

xxlxxxlx Member

So I was looking for a USA 5minute or more rotating residential proxy. I found a site that offered the service for this -$40 a month. So I kinda got this excited feeling where I thought it was legit so I just bought it. I know now that was the wrong thing to do especially in the sketchy area of residential proxies.

Today I tried the ip's, I went to whatismyipaddress.com. The site told me I had an "ISP" and I was coming from the united states. The google search results where all in czech though, which confused me. Turns out, every IP this thing rotates is a datacenter IP from Russia, or somewhere like that. I used iphub.info to find that out. Now I did actually buy a service before this for worldwide residential ip's. These pass the iphub.info test and always show up as a good IP. (That service is really slow and unreliable, though). I dont know if the Worldwide service can just trick that site aswell, I have no clue if they are actually residential. The Isp's show up when you search them though.

So back to the USA residential thing, I checked the terms and conditions and they say "No refunds". The thing is, I bought these with a credit card service that protects you online. It connects to my bank account and generates numbers so I dont use my real card at sketchy places. Just now, I found out the service also holds the payment, and I am able to dispute the seller and chargeback. Do you guys think I should dispute the charge and get my money back? Im not sure if it would actually work or not, but I'm just really frustrated with the fact that I bought into this.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2018

If you're the kind of person who are in the market for

xxlx said: rotating residential proxy

then you deserve every last bit of it, and also to be banned from this forum as well.

• Well deserved. RIP OP.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: then you deserve every last bit of it, and also to be banned from this forum as well.

Uh, why exactly? Sounds to me like the dude just wants to watch Netflix.

Thanked by 3NanoG6 Ympker Yura
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Doesn't deserve to be banned. But doesn't deserve sympathy, either.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deank said: But doesn't deserve sympathy, either.

I have huge sympathy for people struggling against the ridiculously exploitative copyright system.

I mean, if anything, I'm inclined to berate the OP for trying to give money to Netflix. But I shan't.

OP got scammed by someone selling something they couldn't provide. Not sure why that's so evil.

edited June 2018

If I am looking for such a service, I'd do my research. At least spending some minutes on google to find out who they are. If zero result, instant nope.

Those who fail/refuse to do their due diligence doesn't deserve sympathy.

• I use a raspberry pi back home with friends or family (both), as a residential IP
    but for all the rest, use VPS.

The only problem, you are creating a hole for the Chinese.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

Rotating proxy for netflix? Common... I am pretty sure whatever OP is doing doesn't have anything to do with watching movies. Also he keeps buying/installing sketchy shit with zero research and has been warned multiple times before. If there was the slightest bit willingness to learn on OPs side i might overlook how fishy this is but as is no, just no. If you absolutely have to buy shady shit at least do your damn homework and be prepared for shady practices. I am getting pretty tired of all those hopeless kids coming here lately.

@john564 said:
    I use a raspberry pi back home with friends or family (both), as a residential IP

Wat?

• Just use softether vpngate. Kids in Minecraft use is to evade anti proxy systems too and it's free...

• xxlxxxlx Member

AlexJones said: Just use softether vpngate. Kids in Minecraft use is to evade anti proxy systems too and it's free...

Does that use my Ip for a proxy though?

• zkyezzkyez Member

@mksh said:
    Rotating proxy for netflix? Common... I am pretty sure whatever OP is doing doesn't have anything to do with watching movies. Also he keeps buying/installing sketchy shit with zero research and has been warned multiple times before. If there was the slightest bit willingness to learn on OPs side i might overlook how fishy this is but as is no, just no. If you absolutely have to buy shady shit at least do your damn homework and be prepared for shady practices. I am getting pretty tired of all those hopeless kids coming here lately.

@john564 said:
    I use a raspberry pi back home with friends or family (both), as a residential IP

Wat?

I think he means something like unzoner which runs on a pi.

• zkyezzkyez Member

@xxlx said:

AlexJones said: Just use softether vpngate. Kids in Minecraft use is to evade anti proxy systems too and it's free...

Does that use my Ip for a proxy though?

No, vpngate has some free exit points you can use but you'd have to trust whoever runs them.

• mkshmksh Member

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@john564 said:

Wat?

I see. How does that open a hole for the chinese though?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • zkyezzkyez Member

@mksh said:

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@john564 said:

Wat?

Beats me. Maybe because it's a black box? Only op can answer that though.

• mkshmksh Member

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@john564 said:

Wat?

Yeah, would be good to know so we can avoid whatever chinese backdoor software he runs.

• xxlxxxlx Member

mksh said: I see. How does that open a hole for the chinese though?

If you have to allow them to use your IP before using it

• xxlxxxlx Member

mksh said: Yeah, would be good to know so we can avoid whatever chinese backdoor software he runs.

I dont run a software

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@xxlx said:

mksh said: I see. How does that open a hole for the chinese though?

If you have to allow them to use your IP before using it

He is using his own home connection to proxy. I seriously doubt there is people desperate and clueless enough to install anything doing that when there is tons of alternatives.

• xxlxxxlx Member

mksh said: He is using his own home connection to proxy. I seriously doubt there is people desperate and clueless enough to install anything doing that when there is tons of alternatives.

I installed that in the past, there arent really other ways of getting a residential ip for free to use.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@xxlx said:

mksh said: He is using his own home connection to proxy. I seriously doubt there is people desperate and clueless enough to install anything doing that when there is tons of alternatives.

I installed that in the past, there arent really other ways of getting a residential ip for free to use.

I know, still that doesn't mean there aren't any other options or that it's any better to do so. Using your own connection is only the most obvious (and probably most ethical) option. You have already been referred to vpngate and there is at least one seemingly working commercial option. Anyways, in case there really isn't anything usuable besides those IP swapping services the only sane thing to do is forget about it.

Edit: What do you even need this for?

• RoboMWMRoboMWM Member
    edited June 2018

I too am curious, why do you desperately need residential IPs?

• why dont u use cloudflare?

• mkshmksh Member

@RoboMWM said:

I have this nagging feeling OP is not going to answer that.

@soyougav said:
    why dont u use cloudflare?

Can you read?

@RoboMWM said:

He's homeless and wants to feel like he has a home.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

xxlx said: I found out the service also holds the payment, and I am able to dispute the seller and chargeback. Do you guys think I should dispute the charge and get my money back?

I would first threaten to do so, and tell them they have 12 hours to process the refund. (But give them 24).

If they ignore it within those 24 hours (probably likely, but you never know) then yeah see what your card company can do.

Thanked by 1xxlx
  • john564john564 Member
    edited June 2018

@mksh said:

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@zkyez said:

@mksh said:

@john564 said:

Wat?

Yeah, would be good to know so we can avoid whatever chinese backdoor software he runs.

Jesus, Sorry Guys, bad choice of words, I should have said, creating a target for the Chinese.

When I access it from China, the Chinese seems to take note of IP and scan and brute-force attack to the point of DDOS.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • xxlxxxlx Member

mksh said: You have already been referred to vpngate

Which allows other people to use my connection as a proxy?

• @xxlx said:

mksh said: You have already been referred to vpngate

Which allows other people to use my connection as a proxy?

According to you, there is nothing wrong with that.

Thanked by 5deank mksh rm_ Yura lazyt
  • classyclassy Member

Random credit card number generator (for privacy...) and looking for residential IPs, hmmmmmm...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

The solution is to avoid abusing. Has you not tried to abuse, you wouldn't have fallen into the trap.

This discussion has been closed.