Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CatalystHost Owners
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CatalystHost Owners

jakejake Member
edited October 2013 in General

Just wanted to see if anyone knew exactly who are the owners of CatalystHost right now?

I am pretty sure its just @ryanarp right now, and Ryan is working for Incero now too right? Jarland is good at playing with words so I am not sure if @jarland is still involved with Catalyst yet or not, but according to a previous post of his he is now working for Endurance International Group (EIG) and left Catalyst?

I am interested in buying a VPS from their latest LEB special but wanted to see if anyone can clarify this first as it would influence my decision. Thanks for any info!

Thanked by 1Dekken

Comments

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

Hi Jake, I am and have always been the owner of Catalyst Host. Catalyst has always been a sole proprietorship in my name. So legally everything has always fallen under me.

Edited: Extra Details

• @ryanarp said:
    Hi Jake, I am and have always been the owner of Catalyst Host.

Are you working for Incero, and is Jarland still involved?

Thanks Ryan

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

My involvement is limited to that me and Ryan are best of friends and if he has a linux question, I'm glad to answer. That's a rare event these days. I now work for EIG.

edited October 2013

I am working for Incero and Jarland is no longer involved in Catalyst. Jarland has signed a non-compete with the above mentioned company. Due to this and my respect for him as my best friend, it was easy for us to split ways in regards to Catalyst. Him having a solid paying Job to help provide for his expecting wife is more important than him being a part of Catalyst, and that is a decision I can stand by :)

Thanked by 2mpkossen Maounique
  • @jarland said:
    My involvement is limited to that me and Ryan are best of friends and if he has a linux question, I'm glad to answer. That's a rare event these days. I now work for EIG.

Don't take any pictures of their cabinets :P

edited October 2013

@ATHK said:
    Don't take any pictures of their cabinets :P

No one wants me near a cabinet :P

• Thanks @ryanarp and @jarland!

@jarland said:
    No one wants me near a cabinet :P

^^ THIS LOL. If you have ever seen Jarland, I am not sure he could lift some of the beefy servers that we build :) He does awesome work in a linux terminal though :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Based on his very small gravitar he looks like:

Thanked by 1rds100

I guess I should mention @halfeatenpie does work for Catalyst and handles the night shift. So currently we are a two man team and proud of the product that we deliver :)

I still do have my catalyst e-mail though :P

Never giving up that bad boy.

• Thanks OP. I was wondering about the same thing.

• so if ryan works for incero and jarland with eig, i'm confused. who's handle catalyst?

• Ryan is working for Incero full time, and doing Catalyst on the side I believe @ErawanArifNugroho.

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    so if ryan works for incero and jarland with eig, i'm confused. who's handle catalyst?

This is correct, I am doing Catalyst on the side as well as @halfeatenpie is covering the night shift. Since most of our services are Semi-Managed. There isn't exactly a lot of support needs. We probably get a average of maybe 1 or 2 tickets daily if that.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho

@jake said:
    Ryan is working for Incero full time, and doing Catalyst on the side I believe ErawanArifNugroho.

In full transparency, before working for Incero full time I worked at a church full time. So doing Catalyst on the side has never been a issue for us. We know we are not the only host that does this.

edited October 2013

Best of it is, now the owner of Catalyst works next to the servers. It's tough to sit back and not be involved, but I'm really excited to see Ryan exceed my capabilities and run Catalyst even better under the new circumstances. I have to brag on him a bit, I'm pretty darn proud.

• most host have fulltime job it seams, and doing the host on the side. nothing to worry i think

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2013

Howdy there! Seems everything's already been cleared up by @ryanarp and @jarland, I'm just going to clear up a few more things here!

Catalyst has always been owned by Ryan. Jarland used to do some more of the PR and server stuff while he was part of Catalyst (as well as be one of the co-founders), but legally it's all been Ryan's.

I was brought on board (hired?) in January 2013 to help handle the night shifts and just to have another person around.

Jarland recently (I guess in the past month or so?) got a job working for EIG and had to sign a non-compete, meaning he is no longer part of Catalyst. At the same time Ryan got a job at Incero (previously working as the Media Director of a church) and moved to Texas. Currently Ryan and I are the only two people who run Catalyst and like he said I run the night shifts (especially since I recently moved from central PA to Asia).

I guess many people could say Catalyst is our side gig, but in reality we consider it as our second full-time job. When we're not at our day job (well, I guess this only applies to me) we invest all of our time into Catalyst, and with Ryan at the Datacenter that our servers are in we do have physical access.

As for me, I'm a licensed Civil Engineer (EIT) in the state of Pennsylvania and currently working on my Masters degree.

I'll spare you the salesman pitch, but I'll just leave this. We're not just selling a VPS, we're selling our brand of node management.

If you have any other questions you're more than welcome to ask us! We work hard to be as transparent as we can be!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@ryanarp said:
    We probably get a average of maybe 1 or 2 tickets daily if that.

I can throw some your way if you get bored. Plenty to spare!

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie

@Nick_A said:
    I can throw some your way if you get bored. Plenty to spare!

You know we are always happy to help. :)

• gkzgkz Member

Seems like having another staff in Asia is nice, because the time difference :)

@gkz said:
    Seems like having another staff in Asia is nice, because the time difference :)

Yep, it helps us easily cover 24 hours. Granted I don't exactly sleep. lol

• Do you need some staff from Asia? There are many user from Asia here :D

edited October 2013

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Do you need some staff from Asia? There are many user from Asia here :D

For the time being I think we are covered with Don. Tickets in the late hours are few and far between. I am sure as we grow that need will change and we will take steps to fill those spots as they are needed :)

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Do you need some staff from Asia? There are many user from Asia here :D

Hehe I just moved from the States to Asia. ;) We're covered for now!

Thanked by 1gkz
  • edited October 2013

@HalfEatenPie said:
    Hehe I just moved from the States to Asia. ;) We're covered for now!

Hehe... Where do you live now? :)

That is a secret....With all this transparency going on and lack of drama I think we can keep that one a secret. :) He goes to some awesome university there. So whatever city has awesome universities for engineering.

• @ryanarp said:
    That is a secret....With all this transparency going on and lack of drama I think we can keep that one a secret. :) He goes to some awesome university there. So whatever city has awesome universities for engineering.

6 hours of sleep!