Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Hetzner Resellers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Hetzner Resellers?

Does any Hetzner resellers exist? I want to buy a server but I am not comfortable with providing my ID for verification.

Let me know, thanks.

Thanked by 1mhkazemi

Comments

• Will the server be used in normal?

• jeff9023 said: Will the server be used in normal?

Yes. Server will follow Hetzner's TOS...

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Typically if you're foreign = you need to provide some sort of ID verification. There has to be some level of trust somewhere, at some point, no?

• Why not provide an ID? I don't get it what are you risking by doing that?

• emghemgh Member

It’s unsafe of you & the reseller, but I do understand your integrity concern, I normally do hesitate to enter my ID aswell. There’s tons of providers in Germany though, and Scandinavia aswell if you were looking for Finland. You will have so sacrifice something though, is it going to be quality or cost? That’s the only relevant question if you’re not willing to give up on your integrity. Do note though that doing illegal things on your server will probably get you in trubble either way, there’s plenty of ways to find you other than you providing an ID.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Same post on /r/seedboxes so if he wants it as a seedbox he probably doesn't want to be liable for any copyright issues.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I have seedbox on my hetzner finland server. But I have to deal with abuse and use private trackers only. @OP, you shouldnt use public trackers with hetzner.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

We request the ID simply to verify your account/your identity. Unfortunately, our very low prices attract spammers/scammers, so we need to be careful accepting new accounts. We are perhaps overly careful, but we find that it really descreases abuse complaints. And we take abuse very seriously.

Any scans of pictures or IDs we delete immediately after we verify the account. The rest of the account/registration information we keep as is stated here in the policy.

@stefeman is correct - you shouldn't use public trackers with us. And as a reseller, you would be responsible for removing any abuse that comes from your end-users.
    --Katie, Marketing

• edfoxedfox Member

I registered on Hetzner when I was 14 to get a vps and I don't recall having to send them an ID.

• mkshmksh Member

@edfox said:
    I registered on Hetzner when I was 14 to get a vps and I don't recall having to send them an ID.

They don't always ask for ID but if more people post stuff like you did they probably will.

• stefeman said: I have seedbox on my hetzner finland server. But I have to deal with abuse and use private trackers only. @OP, you shouldnt use public trackers with hetzner.

I don't want to use Hetzner server as Seedbox.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@thammy321 said:

Thank you so much!

My pleasure. Took a while to dig that one up and tbh i had little hope for any feedback beyond "Meh, it's in russian...". Guess you shouldn't have problems getting english support though.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@mksh said:

@thammy321 said:

Thank you so much!

My pleasure. Took a while to dig that one up and tbh i had little hope for any feedback beyond "Meh, it's in russian...". Guess you shouldn't have problems getting english support though.

All is well. Thank you.

• I could offer something in their locations for reasonable pricing, won't be on their network though.

• My friend and I signed up for Hetzner. He lives very close (1 minute walk away). He apparently did not have to show an ID, but I did.

I find that ridiculous because I even provided an email address on my personal domain. What scammer does that?

Maybe it's because of my foreign last name. Oh well now I'm with online.net who aren't racist. :)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@torrbox said:
    My friend and I signed up for Hetzner. He lives very close (1 minute walk away). He apparently did not have to show an ID, but I did.

I find that ridiculous because I even provided an email address on my personal domain. What scammer does that?

Maybe it's because of my foreign last name. Oh well now I'm with online.net who aren't racist. :)

I would be careful about jumping to conclusions.

• mkshmksh Member

@torrbox said:
    My friend and I signed up for Hetzner. He lives very close (1 minute walk away). He apparently did not have to show an ID, but I did.

Well, i know of several people with foreign last names that didn't have to show IDs. I guess they aren't really racist as you accuse them but rather have a donkey detector.

Seriously, do you cry racist every time you aren't getting preferred treatment?

Thanked by 2maverickp Aidan
  • Netcup is better than Hetzner "I think!" :)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

torrbox said: My friend and I signed up for Hetzner. He lives very close (1 minute walk away). He apparently did not have to show an ID, but I did. I find that ridiculous because I even provided an email address on my personal domain. What scammer does that? Maybe it's because of my foreign last name. Oh well now I'm with online.net who aren't racist. :)

I cannot tell you why your friend wasn't checked and you were. There are many variables that can affect this. We have customers from around the world (and obviously with foreign last names) whose IDs were not checked.

We find that being less transparent about our processes for account authentication actually helps us to prevent abuse more effectively. (If scammers/spammers know more about our processes, it is easier for them to try to work around them.) Our past experience has shown that the more transparent we were in the past about our decisions, the more abuse we had shortly afterwards.

The IDs are deleted as soon as your account is confirmed. Since many people try to abuse our servers, we feel that it is reasonable to ask new customers for IDs if our first line of authentication does not have conclusive results. We take our responsibility to prevent abuse very seriously, and this is one of the most effective ways of reducing abuse. We completely understand and accept that some potential customers may choose to go to our competitors instead. --Katie, Marketing

• FalzoFalzo Member

Hetzner_OL said: We completely understand and accept that some potential customers may choose to go to our competitors instead.

and that's the perfect way to handle it.

especially those who want to enter any contract without being willing to identify themselves properly to their future business partners are simply dispensable in any kind of business.

• Hetzner_OL said: We completely understand and accept that some potential customers may choose to go to our competitors instead.

Don't you sometimes wonder how your competition does it, though?

mksh said: i know of several people with foreign last names that didn't have to show IDs

I think you vastly underestimate what I meant by "foreign last name". Of course racist is vastly exaggerated and the reasoning is not verifiable in this case. Surely you understand, however, that the reasoning does not matter when you constantly get double-checked, but your friends don't (most of which with foreign last names, but not names like mine).

Falzo said: without being willing to identify themselves properly to their future business partners

What a dumb-as-bread response, considering that 99.9% of businesses, including hosting companies, in the entire world don't verify IDs, simply because there is nearly no benefit from it, and the 0.1% do it mainly because of government regulations. I didn't even have to identify myself for my credit card - they gave me 5 grand without even knowing who I am, simply because it makes them the most money statistically.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

This thread is racist.

• Im racist

edited June 2018

@stefeman isn't a racist. I am a racist.

• mkshmksh Member

@torrbox is your last name maybe bin laden?

• By the line where you said your credit card company gave you a loan of 5 grands without knowing who you are, did you went into bank wearing face mask with no documents?

If no, why would you think they don't know you?

Thanked by 2Falzo pullangcubo
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@torrbox said: I think you vastly underestimate what I meant by "foreign last name". Of course racist is vastly exaggerated and the reasoning is not verifiable in this case. Surely you understand, however, that the reasoning does not matter when you constantly get double-checked, but your friends don't (most of which with foreign last names, but not names like mine).

It's not inconceivable that a potential customer's last name is a factor. For example, if your last name is bin Laden (as @mksh asked), Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, Franco, Amin, Lenin, Trump, or Hussein, you may set off an alarm, or if your first name is Jong-un or Osama. Naturally, I'm just guessing ... but even if certain last names set off an alarm, this still isn't racism.

edited June 2018

I think the Korean last name "Kim" should set off alarm as well despite of tens of millions having that last name.

And add Jarland to the list also.