Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS not bootable, no support for 4 days (and counting) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS not bootable, no support for 4 days (and counting)

Comments

• @CVPS_Chris Blaming me for not replying to your ticket is a pathetic excuse. I clearly mentioned that it was a test VPS and have no data, you then did reinstall it. It still was not booting, what reply do you need from my side then - you should have just fixed it. Instead, you blame me for a ticket reply that I don't have to make, to begin with.

You should learn some basic customer support rules: never blame your customers when they do not have any fault on their side, and more so when the fault is entirely yours.

Thanks for the refund - seeing the level of customer support you gave, I honestly didn't even expect any refund. Good riddance, anyway.

I read somewhere a post of yours, in which you said you have lots of funding and can afford to do such discount deals. It is a shame that you did not spend some of that money on quality support staff. Or at the very least, give your existing staff clear instructions to not mess around with customers, and blame them for your faults.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Sumesh,

We have great customer support, however the ticket was taking much longer than it should have due to time differences, etc. I did figure out the VPS was not booting due to a bad template for Ubuntu after I refunded you I investigated more.

@natestamm said: I only ever hear these kinds of comments from a very short list of so called providers who can not provide honest or reliable support.

This is not even close to being true. If you would like proof from customers just let me know as we get emails everyday praising us.

I cant please every single customer, we get a lot of tickets everyday. When it takes awhile for someone to respond it gets pushed down and when a response is finally made it waits in line until the rest are answered.

However, Im glad we got this over with and was able to make you happy by giving your money back. If your not happy, Ill let you leave. I do not have a gun to anyone's head.

Regards,

Chris

• @CVPS_Chris said : If you would like proof from customers just let me know as we get emails everyday praising us.

I can only lol..

@CVPS_Chris said : VPS was not booting due to a bad template for Ubuntu

ahh... 4 days of troubleshooting with many reinstalls with a single bad template. ahem.. ahem.. It takes less than few minutes to delete node and recreate it fresh with a vanila template.. anyway.. am signin off

• @CVPS_Chris said: We have great customer support,

Again this... ¬¬

• Some day he will learn that the customers having terrible experiences don't give a toss how many people claim things are great.

• @CVPS_Chris Bad Ubuntu template? That does not explain how the Debian reinstall also did not boot.

• @Soylent True, also, he will learn how a few bad customer complaints can turn public sentiment against a company. In shared hosting, Dreamhost is notorious for terrible server perf. and downtimes, for example (but EVEN they have good customer support - makes me wonder why ChicagoVPS don't).

• @sumeshpremraj - this was an OVZ container, right? Most likely cause of it not booting would be a bad/corrupted/missing /etc/vz/conf/ file for your VM (vzctl start will fail and display an error indicating such on commandline). Since you had no data you wanted to save (and may not have minded a different IP), simply terminating and recreating the VPS (two clicks in WHMCS) would've generated a new VM with a brand new conf file, and likely gotten the job done.

• Quote form ChicagoVPS.net "Handling technical questions through "support tickets" in the helpdesk ensures that your request will immediately find the attention of our highly trained staff, who sit at the ready 24/7."

If it is openvz i think the node might have had a kernel panic.

• @BassHost said: If it is openvz i think the node might have had a kernel panic.

True, though that would affect many other clients as well. If he was able to reinstall, however, it sounds more like the node was fine and just his .conf file was wacked. Bad/empty values will prevent container startup.

• @BassHost LOL at that

@Aldryic more LOL, just 2 clicks to repair :|

• OP responded a bit back and said they reinstalled his VPS but it still wouldn't boot. Chris said it was a problem with the Ubuntu template.

• @Soylent said: Chris said it was a problem with the Ubuntu template.

I'm not confident with that answer as no known working template has been said to work. If a known working template does work, then I would agree with the Ubuntu template having an issue.

• Note that I tried installing Debian 5/6 and Ubuntu 10.04/11.04 and none of them booted up. Pretty sure it wasn't just the fault of the Ubuntu template.

• @sumeshpremraj said: Pretty sure it wasn't just the fault of the Ubuntu template.

Deb/Ubuntu are all the same base distro, my suggestion about was take a known working template, like CentOS 5 that comes with SolusVM when installing a slave and see.

• @miTgiB Agreed, but @CVPS_Chris said specifically that only Ubuntu template was faulty. In any case, the fault is just an excuse, the real issue is that they took awfully long to respond.

• again, paying $7 when you're making "several thousand dollars" over a few days.
    cmon dude.

also, did you factor in your time difference? you're like half a day ahead.

This is a non issue now. I have refunded the client, we have fixed all templates that seemed to be faulty.

Hes happy, Im happy so lets just leave it at that.

• @sumeshpremraj said: I'd have lost several hundered dollars in these 3-4 days.

Lol. I am sorry ... but i think there might be two parts to this story.

• ...a little late there, Bass. Both sides gave their stories already <_<

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • flyfly Member
    edited February 2012

buffalo = chicago, just rebranded

• Buffalo VPS - VPS
    Chicago VPS - VPS
    Mohawk Host - Voip
    GS networks - game servers
    Texas VPS (TBA)
    Premium VPS (TBA)

All from the same provider ;)

Buffalo VPS is actually a separate company. We sold it to a friend as we could not put enough time into it.

• edited February 2012

[root@*** ~]# uptime
    15:18:12 up 16 days, 1:10, 1 user, load average: 0.22, 0.21, 0.18
    Uptime of my VPS.

• Well I can prove it by all the feedback emails we receive everyday I'd you would like. The good comments we get is probably 100:1. -CVPS_Chris

That's a load of BS, 99% of the time customers won't say anything if they are happy. But you better bet 80% of the time customers will post everywhere when they aren't. Sorry - had to call the bluff.

• sumeshpremrajsumeshpremraj Member
    edited February 2012

@BassHost and @kbar I wasn't going to use this VPS for production server - I'm new to VPS (but not Linux), and wanted a test pad to configure and check everything before I buy and setup the real thing. I had thought of getting a 1GB Xen VPS from ChicagoVPS itself if I managed to set up the test VPS properly.

@kbar I'm half a day ahead, but that still is not an exuse for 5 days to fix a non-bootable VPS (which they could've deleted and recreated, as I have no data on it).

• @Corey said: That's a load of BS, 99% of the time customers won't say anything if they are happy. But you better bet 80% of the time customers will post everywhere when they aren't. Sorry - had to call the bluff.

Actually, when dealing with the customers directly they'll often tell you if they are happy with your service. They usually won't go to the public forum to talk about it, but they will have no problem telling you.

• @sumeshpremraj The deal is done and you have got your refund. It seems the node you were placed is having problem. So leave it at this.. They do have a nice service and they price quite well. If you really have nothing new to say please let this thread rest...

@CVPS_Chris While i have to agree that your support here cannot be considered polite or elaborate, I feel that you were always that way. So no comments. I did sign up for a box @CVPS lured by your offer. The vps is very much responsive and transfer rate is better than 90% of the servers i have tried at this price. The support from Jeremiah has been awesome and he handled the tickets very professionally. I really wish you and the team @CVPS good luck to sustain with your unbelievable offers ;)

Spec : 2GB RAM:50GB HDD:cPanel:1ipv4:2TB BW @ $12/m
    Bench :

CPU model :            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31270 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  3392.499 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2048 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   3:05,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 9.63MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 6.75MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 5.29MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 5.71MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 5.02MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.36MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.08MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.27MB/s
    I/O speed :  132 MB/s

edited February 2012

@Corey said: That's a load of BS, 99% of the time customers won't say anything if they are happy. But you better bet 80% of the time customers will post everywhere when they aren't. Sorry - had to call the bluff.

Corey,

Give me your email, I can give you a long list. Sorry your customers don't feel that way about your services.... says a lot.

@peppr thank you very much :)