Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats with the real reasoning behind the conflict between buyVM and SolusVM recently? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats with the real reasoning behind the conflict between buyVM and SolusVM recently?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@subigo said: @Francisco

Come on, if you have the skills to code a virtualization panel from scratch, you definitely know that Ioncube can easily be decoded these days. I'd say 90% of any Ioncube encoded script can be decoded with the latest decoding tools.

But clean? Nah. Sure, you can find free decoders out there but they'll be missing tons of data and require you to rewrite it anyways.

My coding skills aren't amazing nor did stallion require a genuis to develop. A lot of the code is really hackish right now just to get the job done and as I get time I upgrade the code. My biggest goal when we developed stallion was to improve the SQL performance.

If you take a SolusVM master deployment and enable query logging on the SQL, during BW logging you'll notice it does around 8 SQL updated per IP that has accounting enabled. If you have a lot of nodes this turns into a real hurt fest for sure.

• @subigo said: Come on, if you have the skills to code a virtualization panel from scratch, you definitely know that Ioncube can easily be decoded these days. I'd say 90% of any Ioncube encoded script can be decoded with the latest decoding tools.

It's often easier to just rebuild something than trying to understand someone's broken coding.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd

@VMPort said: @Francisco

Thank you for the explanation, its making a bit more sense to me now :P

I much prefer there older skin anyway, i cant stand the new one. I was pissed when i found out the old theme couldn't be used any more.

The new skin is much cleaner code wise, even the Solus dev's will proclaim that. The older one needs a lot of work but at this point we simply have a complete new frontend coming in.

Francisco

@vedran said: It's often easier to just rebuild something than trying to understand someone's broken coding.

Right.

When I developed the IPV6 page it took me the better part of a full day to get a single page to work properly just because they had weird ways of handling things. To them it likely works exactly like they want, but me as an outsider trying to make it work I scratched my head a LOT.

Francisco

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

I suppose ultra budget VPS has to come as a result of cutting corners somewhere!

• We need SolusLabs here to comment really, nice to get two sides of the event.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Yes, the latest decoders are fairly clean. In fact, the majority of the scripts I've ran through it come out nearly perfect (minus embedded html). I've seen the SolusVM code, vePortal code, WHMCS code. Seeing the SolusVM code is part of the reason I ditched them myself.

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@JSCL said: I suppose ultra budget VPS has to come as a result of cutting corners somewhere!

By developing our own panel and bringing in more features than the rest of the budget market? Sounds OK to me.

Francisco

Thanked by 1djvdorp

Oh yes, based exactly on a panel you'd rather not be paying monthly for.

@Daniel said: We need SolusLabs here to comment really, nice to get two sides of the event.

They're welcome to join in, I doubt they're aware of dotvps' intentions and will be pretty livid.

@subigo - That's priceless. I dunno, before I built Frantech I was a full time PHP developer so I enjoyed getting back into it all.

Francisco

edited February 2012

@JSCL said: Oh yes, based exactly on a panel you'd rather not be paying monthly for.

Why should I pay $600/m for a panel I can develop? With developers that to this day still haven't addressed IPV6 RDNS?

Francisco

edited February 2012

Lol, you have to sink low to personal attacks? That's ace. A bit pathetic for a businessman, however.

You're the one taking the jabs son. As I said to someone else on twitter, "Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks". I got no beef with ya', truce?

It's very much interesting when we log dived :) As I mentioned, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest with them or anyone else over stallion. Some day it'll go to market, but it will have to go through a fairly heavy rewrite to be presentable since we'll not be ioncubing it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: $600/m

Bloody hell, that's a lot! Isn't their license $2.5 - $10/m? How many nodes do you have? :P

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited February 2012

@vedran said: Bloody hell, that's a lot! Isn't their license $2.5 - $10/m? How many nodes do you have? :P

http://buyvmstatus.com/

Enough that should justify $600/mo in licensing fees!

@vedran said: Bloody hell, that's a lot! Isn't their license $2.5 - $10/m? How many nodes do you have? :P

$10/m/ea and we have 58 OVZ nodes and 8 KVM's so it'd be even more. If we put forward bugs/etc and got them addressed right away we wouldn't have cared. Like with WHMCS, We've dumped a good handful of cash into Matt and he does an awesome job.

He helps Aldryic with any quirks he might have in any hooks and has provided development tools so he can keep going.

• Holy Crap. I had no idea BuyVM had so many nodes. All I see when I look at that status page is a threat to never have a full night of sleep again.

@subigo said: Holy Crap. I had no idea BuyVM had so many nodes. All I see when I look at that status page is a threat to never have a full night of sleep again.

Our nodes aren't going down, that's just if there's a packet getting dropped or whatever. It could be a routing derp or whatever.

The latest batch of nodes that went through maintenance were all in the 200 day uptime range.

I forgot there's a storage node in there as well as like 3 - 4 development nodes that aren't documented since they're internal.

• @Francisco

I'm just saying that's a big network to manage for a single person, especially if you have to handle billing and support as well. Or do you have people working for you? I always assumed it was just you for some reason.

• They have at least 3 people, which is still not a lot with all those nodes.

But this is going offtopic already!

edited February 2012

Oh we got a team :)

• @Aldryic - Our billing demon
    • Anthony/bzImage - My full time support guy
    • Nikki - My part time developer / TF2 junkie
    • Karen - "The decision maker" / "Queen of green"
    • Matt - Our part-time onsite tech

Francisco

Thanked by 2yowmamasita djvdorp
  • ShadowShadow Member
    edited February 2012

@subigo said: Ioncube encoding can be decoded in about two seconds.

Yes in two seconds but solusvm will not work because of the functions that are protected by the obfuscator . you can just recreat new panel and know the code how it run.

• @Shadow said: Yes in two seconds but solusvm will not work because of the functions that are protected by the obfuscator . you can just recreat new panel and know the code how it run.

Well actually, they would work. Decoding keeps it the same script pretty much, but readable.

• ShadowShadow Member
    edited February 2012

@Daniel said: Well actually, they would work. Decoding keeps it the same script pretty much, but readable.

on solusvm will not work . you can read it only it's protected by the obfuscator so it's difficult to be work

• Interesting discussion here, however @Francisco are you talking about https://dotvps.net/ ?? They tried to get their Solus nullified? Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Thanks,
    Chris.

edited February 2012

@eastonch said: Interesting discussion here, however @Francisco are you talking about https://dotvps.net/ ?? They tried to get their Solus nullified? Correct me if i'm mistaken.

Thanks,

Chris.

That one. When I went back to the discussion some time later I figured it was some ploy to entrap us in it, but KuJoe messaged me yesterday that they asked the same thing of him as well which is very odd.

He asked us for a full decrypt of the solusvm code if we had it and if we had any decompilers we could recommend to do the job if not. We of course told him we had nothing and had done all of the backend Stallion code ourselves over time.

Francisco

• Here in middle east many peple hack solus. On saudi haker website there is php codes to add vps no money, list vps on server and reboot server not vps. I no peple try this 2 day back and vps no money. it work on even new solus. some peple go india company for vps admin this strong but solus no strong.

@concernednetizen said: Here in middle east many peple hack solus. On saudi haker website there is php codes to add vps no money, list vps on server and reboot server not vps. I no peple try this 2 day back and vps no money. it work on even new solus. some peple go india company for vps admin this strong but solus no strong.

Have you forwarded this code to the devs yet? Or is the code not public?

Francisco

• What happened to the screenshot?

• @francisco code on evry big arab hacking website. pepl use this for vps no money. now see one codes for databace empty. many many codes.