Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN for German TV livestreams? (Worldcup is coming!)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN for German TV livestreams? (Worldcup is coming!)

Just wondering, are there any legal issues in getting a VPS in Germany to get German WM TV live feeds?

I am thinking maybe Hetzner, or the Aruba German VPS (that's EUR 2.79 or so), or whatever.

Then put outline on it and watch German streams on your whatever device you have.

Are there any legal issues, or badwidth issues?

Anybody did that?

Comments

• You already have answer about legal or not legal since you have to setup VPN for that. But for WC, you should be able to get from all over the world legally at each location for high quality or barely small amount for good quality streams as paid subscriber.

Where are you now?

• I am now in Asia and don't really worry too much about legal issues.

I just wonder if Hetzner (or whoever) will notice that the VPN will be for TV only.

Other issue, the bandwidth isn't unlimited in most cases and TV may use a lot. May share the feed with others too.

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited June 2018

NordVPN is your friend.
    They have a hell lot of servers and even special servers for geoblocked stuff.
    I'm using their service every day and i'm really satisfied!

BTW there's no traffic limit because they don't log anything, i've made terrabytes of traffic without any issues.

Thanked by 2dergelbe Ympker
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@dergelbe said:
    I just wonder if Hetzner (or whoever) will notice that the VPN will be for TV only.

Why would they care unless they get complaints which is highly unlikely since using a VPN is not illegal in any way and who's sitting behind it is not exactly obvious.

Other issue, the bandwidth isn't unlimited in most cases and TV may use a lot. May share the feed with others too.

Well then do the maths. How many minutes of world cup you think you are going to watch at what bitrate shared with how many people. Just multiply all the values and see if 20TB is enough.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

+1 for NordVpn ;)

• +1 NordVPN works awesome for streaming from Germany to Asia.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2018

Unless you like specific commentators and programmes, I don't see why you want to use VPN for this?

Contrary to popular belief, match result doesn't change even if you switch to another feed.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited June 2018

Nobody will care about you watching german national television via a VPN, neither Hetzner nor the TV broadcasters. Also, the transfer amount you will need for this is very low. Do the math, they stream 720p with a max of 4Mbit. If you assume one game is a generous 150 minutes on average it will be 500kbyte/s * 60 * 150 = 4,5GB per match. It's 64 matches, so you only need 288 GB in total. Really, just do it and enjoy watching it.

• pikepike Veteran

@deank said:
    Unless you like specific commentators and programmes, I don't see why you want to use VPN for this?

Because he wants the german comments, maybe?

Hetzner is fine for personal VPN that doesn't attract any abusemails. Don't expect a human to monitor your hetzner servers, their success relies on a high grade of automatisation and less human interaction.

Thanked by 1Aidan
    edited June 2018

For football matches (Not American football), I use some illusive internet groups. They've got people all over the world and rip matches in 1080p/720p and post in English, Spanish, Italian, and German, including pre-match programmes and post match interviews.

• pikepike Veteran

@deank said:
    For football matches (Not American football), I use some illusive internet groups.

Yeah, germans have public television streaming the world cup matches to all residents.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • Danke for all the feedback, right I like the German feeds, they have nice analytical comments - and no ads. My local TV has only a few games public, rest is on cable, which you need to sign up for for 2 years. No thanks. I generally stopped watching TV like 10 years ago.

I am not planing to less the connection to others, so I am not too concerned about any legal issues. Good to know that they (Hetzner etc.) have no proactive technical blocking.

@dergelbe said:
    Danke for all the feedback, right I like the German feeds, they have nice analytical comments - and no ads. My local TV has only a few games public, rest is on cable, which you need to sign up for for 2 years. No thanks. I generally stopped watching TV like 10 years ago.

I am not planing to less the connection to others, so I am not too concerned about any legal issues. Good to know that they (Hetzner etc.) have no proactive technical blocking.

I hope German commentators say more than "Should be playing better". UK commentators are donkeys.

• @fburger said:
    Openvpn on a cheap natvps at gullo works fine to me for german TV :-)

Gullo's banned in China isn't so attractive to me.

• salakissalakis Member
    edited June 2018

I know it's not exactly convenient as it's not per hour, but @UltraVPS as always does a great job for me. In China I was able to pull around 20-30 Mbit on China Telecom in the South, but it's a while ago. Expect 300ms+ latency tho (crosses the Pacific via DTAG if I'm not mistaken). Right now in Korea I'm easily hitting 40-50 Mbit using Outline via 4G, so I'd definitely once again vouch for their network and it works with ZDFmediathek.

There's this small company called nbiserv, they have their servers somewhere in Thüringen via Thüringer Netkom and somehow they happen to have 180-200ms to China Unicom, maybe worth trying, but I don't have any service with them anymore. Throughput was alright to CU as well. It did work with ZDFmediathek just over half a year ago and I doubt it has changed.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Whenever I see a VPN discussion I always recommend Mullvad (unless specific requirements don't match up.)

You can visit it here:

https://mullvad.net/en/

And you can see why I recommend Mullvad below:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@dergelbe said:
    Danke for all the feedback, right I like the German feeds, they have nice analytical comments - and no ads. My local TV has only a few games public, rest is on cable, which you need to sign up for for 2 years. No thanks. I generally stopped watching TV like 10 years ago.

You could also watch legally using Wilmaa (free) which supports all required channels I think (you need a swiss IP though)

http://www.wilmaa.com/sbb/allchannels/?lang=de

Thanked by 1notsofastcharlie
  • Not sure how securely you can stream German TV with VPS. Above suggestions regarding VPN would be right choice. Now its up to you which vpn you use with Hetzner etc. to watch world cup.

I was in search for same purpose and found this guide to watch world cup from anywhere. Hope this might help you as well
    https://www.vpnranks.com/fifa-world-cup-2018-live-online/

Thanked by 1notsofastcharlie
  • yes, aside Wilmaa, Match TV is officially streaming it in Russia, BBC iPlayer in the UK, SBS and Optus in Australia, FoxSports in the USA, Direct TV and Sky in South America and the Caribbean and ARD, ZDF in Germany along with a dozen others. There are other channels streaming in their respective regions too. found this post you can check out for other regions and the local broadcasters

https://www.ivacy.com/blog/watch-fifa-world-cup-2018-online-free/

• saibalsaibal Member

ITV also has streams for the games.

• FalzoFalzo Member

for what it's worth I just checked and the livestream on sportschau.de is working as expected without issues via vpn at hetzner ;-)

Thanked by 2pike vimalware
  • mkshmksh Member

@Falzo said:
    for what it's worth I just checked and the livestream on sportschau.de is working as expected without issues via vpn at hetzner ;-)

Interesting. I'm not all that surprised though. The non english streams probably have the least chance to have any aggressive blocking in place.

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • pikepike Veteran

@deank said:
    Interesting. I'm not all that surprised though. The non english streams probably have the least chance to have any aggressive blocking in place.

Don't expect ARD or ZDF (german public tv orgs) managers to understand or care about geoblocking. They use some geoIP database and simply block all IPs not listed as german. They don't give a fuck if someone is evading this.

Neuland

Thanked by 3mksh vimalware chrisp

Mr. @pike, I do not believe I've said that.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Buy something in Ireland, our RTE is providing all games free of charge via their website (rte.ie)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Pick either Germany location for VPN or Ireland and you should be fine.

• For privacy reasons I will not fully disclose what I am using. But my special Danke goes to Hetzner for their superb service.

• CyberGhost worked the best for me, while I stream FIFA through it on MatchTV, but you can also go for other options that have servers in Russia or place where official streams are available, You can check out this guide on bestVPN.co to check for the stream options and you can unblock it on the go.
    https://www.bestvpn.co/how-to-watch-fifa-world-cup-without-cable/