Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta] - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta]

Comments

• edfoxedfox Member

@MarshalChe said:
    Had $20 server there. Ran after January outage (this was a final drop). Took 9 euros VPS from Contabo and became happy.

How the fuck can you be happy with a contabo

Thanked by 2corbpie HarborVPS
  • BruceBruce Member

maybe someone should create a shopping list of providers with delimiter-like pricing, and note the risk/benefit/costs of choosing.

the budget end of the market comes at a price. slow support/network is one thing, a week of outage is something completely different

delimiter effectively announced their own deadpool when they said they would cease offering budget servers

• Looks like my server came up overnight. Now to backup and cancel.

So based on the numbers above, the comments of 120 servers down and only a "Few" were left to be restored is obviously complete bs.

• actually those are about right for 120-150 servers with 2 IPs each. However, the idea they ahd gotten a bunch of people online already and just had a few to go is still bs.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@IThinkUFailed said:

@zed said:
    where are the refugee offers~

Why not share the offers you're on so providers can try though?

Dual L5630, 48GB Ram, 2x 500GB HDD, 4x addon IPv4, $224 yearly ...

• Oh no absolutely no progress on my server still

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@zed said:

Maybe @dacentec, if at all?

Providers like @qps or @clouvider could offer some discount to accommodate people from delimiter - if they wouldn't mind paying some extra money for quality?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Yep, given the passmark of this old CPU we could offer some discounts on E3s to hopefully get close to the budget :-).

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • TomTom Member

@Falzo said:

>

= ~$19/m? jesus...

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

@K4Y5 said:

Providers like @qps or @clouvider could offer some discount to accommodate people from delimiter - if they wouldn't mind paying some extra money for quality?

already had a dacentec once, network connection (to europe) wasn't so convincing...

would only be interested in refugee offers in US though, so please don't make @clouvider come up with something in london, that I don't need but must buy just because of the price ;-) luckily I doubt he has any interest in that kind of cheeeeaaaapskate business...

edit: oh no.

Clouvider said: Yep, given the passmark of this old CPU we could offer some discounts on E3s to hopefully get close to the budget :-).

• imokimok Member

@Falzo said:

@IThinkUFailed said:

@zed said:

Wow. Even at 1.5X looks like a good price.

I hope providers don't do this. I'm running out of money.

• gateway pings for me, not my server but the ipmi still not accessable

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Falzo said:

@K4Y5 said:

already had a dacentec once, network connection (to europe) wasn't so convincing...

would only be interested in refugee offers in US though, so please don't make @clouvider come up with something in london, that I don't need but must buy just because of the price ;-) luckily I doubt he has any interest in that kind of cheeeeaaaapskate business...

Clouvider said: Yep, given the passmark of this old CPU we could offer some discounts on E3s to hopefully get close to the budget :-).

Pretty sure neither of them will match the price and join the race to the bottom. Which is exactly why I said that they MAY offer SOME discounts to help people migrate their important services away at a slightly higher cost :P

Regardless, I understand the urge to have a couple of CHEEEAAP servers with 69% SLA for lulz. But, at the end of the day, anything that you can't trust enough to actually be around for when you need it, is a wasteful expense :P

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • lariveelarivee Member
    edited June 2018

DUAL E5420/24GB/1TB HDD 200$/yr

I dont mind some outages ( mainly use this for dev/testing ) , and you know for that price there is some gotchas. not my first time with delimiter ( R1soft backup was horrible, previous blade had abismal HD speeds... ) but being able to put multiple vm, and just having dedicated hardware is usefull. I have vm at multiple providers for other uses.

• GM5GM5 Member, Host Rep

We would be happy to try and offer some machines but would not be able to reach Delimiter's pricing but are happy to work with people to try and find a home for them.

We can really only do this on our L5420 systems in LA though. If people would like to reach out to us we'll see what we can do.

Thanked by 1imok
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

This is literally the case of good deals with internet access being optional.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • BruceBruce Member

all my servers are online now

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2018

QuickPacket has some good deals going on. I got a E3-1230 v3, 16GB RAM, 2x128GB SSD, 20TB @ 1Gbps port, IPMI for $35/month and they have another deal for $30.

Thanked by 1qps
  • DeftNerdDeftNerd Member
    edited June 2018

745 IP's responding at 3:20am EST

800 IP's responding at 5:30am EST

as of 10:20am EST, still around 800 IP's.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

K4Y5 said: Providers like @qps or @clouvider could offer some discount to accommodate people from delimiter - if they wouldn't mind paying some extra money for quality?

Check out our Anniversary specials.

• Dual L5520 $30
    • E3-1230v3 $35
    • Dual L5640 $45
    • E5-2620 $50

Order links are here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/144710/1-year-quickpacket-review

Thanked by 2Falzo imok
  • My second server still down.

• TomTom Member

@DeftNerd said:
    745 IP's responding at 3:20am EST

800 IP's responding at 5:30am EST

as of 10:20am EST, still around 800 IP's.

Got the same as you - just did a quick scan, I'm seeing 851 IP's alive.

tom@xxxxxx:~# cat d.log |grep "is alive"|wc -l

Will continue to continuously do them every couple hours I guess

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@qps said:

K4Y5 said: Providers like @qps or @clouvider could offer some discount to accommodate people from delimiter - if they wouldn't mind paying some extra money for quality?

• Dual L5520 $30
    • E3-1230v3 $35
    • Dual L5640 $45
    • E5-2620 $50

Order links are here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/144710/1-year-quickpacket-review

Anything in LA? :P

• FalzoFalzo Member

@K4Y5 said:

@Falzo said:

@K4Y5 said:

Pretty sure neither of them will match the price and join the race to the bottom. Which is exactly why I said that they MAY offer SOME discounts to help people migrate their important services away at a slightly higher cost :P

Regardless, I understand the urge to have a couple of CHEEEAAP servers with 69% SLA for lulz. But, at the end of the day, anything that you can't trust enough to actually be around for when you need it, is a wasteful expense :P

yeah exactly. has been a perfect playground for me at that price. I doubt I'll find something comparable soon, as there usually are no cheap offers with at least 32G RAM+2x disk+1Gbps and some addon IPs at all.
    I only remember the virmach E3/32G/2x1TB in buffalo which was $30ish once, but again the network connection was more like ummh and being 10 bucks more than the delimiter one - no keep ;-)

for what it's worth I simply won't spend more than $20-25 for such a dev box anyway, and same time are not willing to omit the second disk or being limited to 100mbps (don't need much traffic though). more likely I'll then go and pick up a VM or two if needed...

• NealSNealS Member

My server is still down. Hopefully not too much longer.

Looking at the nice offers. My delimiter box is E5420/24G/2x500G/$200-yr. Might upgrade to one of those QuickPacket deals. Hetzner is great but the extra 100ms lag from US to Germany isn't fun.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@qps said:

• Dual L5520 $30
    • E3-1230v3 $35
    • Dual L5640 $45
    • E5-2620 $50

totally missed those, the Dual L5520 comes very close spec-wise, at least an offer with more than the usual 16G and the bigger disks are also a nice touch. sadly price is still +60% compared to my deli-who ;-)

something like $300 yearly for this sure would get me thinking...

• imokimok Member

Falzo said: something like $300 yearly for this sure would get me thinking...

I agree.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @K4Y5 said:

I was actually thinking of starting a host that could fit this need and be sustainable. I have a local colo operated by a regional fiber provider that wouldn't charge me for space, just for power usage and uplink speed (from 1gbps to 400gbps available).

Rather than renting old blades, I was thinking of just getting basic network equipment and blade chassis' and renting space for people to host their own blades. They could buy cheap ones off ebay, and I might carry a few in inventory for people to purchase, but it would basically be a budget blade colocation service.

Without the cost of acquiring blades, even old ones, the startup costs would be much lower and I wouldn't have to warranty the customer-supplied blades.

Other than that, it would be pretty basic promises - Max 48 hour turnaround for blade insertion or removal and shipping, basic networking, IPMI behind a VPN to save IP addresses, no BGP announcements, just one IP, single-provider network, UPS's good for 30 minutes but no generator, etc. Basically, trying to be professional on a budget but not trying to be enterprise-quality.

I think the biggest difference would be some basic transparency that nobody else has...

• A public status page that's actually real and shows the basic status of each server, not just a "everythings fine" message
    • A private status page that shows server health data pulled from the ILO and lets people perform simple tasks (attach an ISO, reboot, etc)
    • Proactive notification of issues (and resolutions) to customers via email (on standby power and will shut down server in 20 minutes if its not restored, incoming traffic has spiked from 10% utilization to 80% utilization, you have received a DMCA notice, any errors that can be pulled from the ILO, etc
    • slack/discord chatroom so any problems can be public
    • status pages and control panels off-site and off-network so major problems don't take away customer interaction

I haven't worked out all the numbers yet, but I think I can make it work for $20 a month and still make a 40% profit (to use to buy more racks, network gear, and blade chassis', etc). Not sure if it would just be a flat rate or if I would meter power and data usage on top of that. If I meter, I was thinking that people could deposit money or crypto into a wallet and it would just pull from there based on usage. I would probably charge a hands-on fee for stuff like putting in drives or adding memory or changing CPU's.

What do you think? Crazy idea? It's kind of a niche service idea but I think it would be popular among LET-types.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited June 2018

I see 795 addresses up....still nothing for my server. No updates... I'm hard pressed to stay with them at this point.

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Mine came back up over night. Clocking in at 9.5 days of downtime. Let’s see if it stays up.