Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free reliable email providers that allow @yourdomain - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free reliable email providers that allow @yourdomain

13»

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Claverhouse said:
    Tutanota too: "We as one of the few mail providers can't even read them"
    https://tutanota.com/

“We cannot deliver the emails [to governments] because we cannot read them,” he adds.

Indeed. Just took a look and Tutanota and ProtonMail are similar in they both encrypt one's mailbox (though there appear to be technical/implementational differences).

At the end of the day, one has to decide how paranoid one is. The idea of mailbox encryption is attractive but it's difficult to implement well, not to mention that IMAP and POP3 are no longer available and one is restricted to accessing one's mail via a browser and/or specialized apps.

For me personally, I don't need the inconvenience of an encrypted mailbox, but I definitely would prefer not to have my mailbox scanned for advertising purposes, and so I'm willing to pay for a mail service for this.

@angstrom said:

@Claverhouse said:
    Tutanota too: "We as one of the few mail providers can't even read them"
    https://tutanota.com/

“We cannot deliver the emails [to governments] because we cannot read them,” he adds.

Indeed. Just took a look and Tutanota and ProtonMail are similar in they both encrypt one's mailbox (though there appear to be technical/implementational differences).

At the end of the day, one has to decide how paranoid one is. The idea of mailbox encryption is attractive but it's difficult to implement well, not to mention that IMAP and POP3 are no longer available and one is restricted to accessing one's mail via a browser and/or specialized apps.

For me personally, I don't need the inconvenience of an encrypted mailbox, but I definitely would prefer not to have my mailbox scanned for advertising purposes, and so I'm willing to pay for a mail service for this.

And if I really want certain emails to be encrypted, there's always the DIY-method with OpenPGP.

• If a service is free, you are the product.

• @davenz said:
    Hey just another quick question does anyone know a good free email provider that allows you to use your own domain. i had the old Gmail one but i'm looking for something similar. but it seems you have to pay these day :P

I used Zoho Mail. It's reliable and stable. https://www.zoho.com/mail/

• @Tripleflix said:
    If a service is free, you are the product.

Dunno how that works. Like a couple of other people here I use Linux.

• @Claverhouse said:

@Tripleflix said:
    If a service is free, you are the product.

Dunno how that works. Like a couple of other people here I use Linux.

It's simple. You are a product and so am I.

For example, I'm yum, you are gnome and @jarland's postfix. Pretty sure that's what he meant

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2018

Claverhouse said: Dunno how that works. Like a couple of other people here I use Linux.

Linux is not a service-- it's software that you run on your own (maybe virtual) computer. It's a service if someone else is running it for you. If they're doing that for free, then you are probably a product.

Thanked by 1Shot2
    edited June 2018

@willie said:

Claverhouse said: Dunno how that works. Like a couple of other people here I use Linux.

Linux is not a service-- it's software that you run on your own (maybe virtual) computer. It's a service if someone else is running it for you. If they're doing that for free, then you are probably a product.

I think that @Claverhouse's point is that (e.g.) the free email account at Tutanota gives you an encrypted mailbox and no ads, which makes you much less of a product (if at all).

I would concede that the free email account at Tutanota does look like a genuine loss-leader for Tutanota. The main or only thing that they appear to stand to gain is that you might recommend Tutanota to others and/or that you might decide to upgrade to a paid plan.

(Personally, the free account wouldn't be my choice, given the limitations that you can't use a custom domain and that the search facility is limited.)

• Plus you can't direct the mail in the free one to their own folders.

Yet, 12 euros a year seems reasonable; and the free version is safer than gmail even for privacy.

• mailgun
    • sparkpost
    • mxroute
  • desperand said: mailgun

sparkpost
    mxroute

mailgun and sparkpost are not email providers.

@Claverhouse said:
    Plus you can't direct the mail in the free one to their own folders.

Yet, 12 euros a year seems reasonable; and the free version is safer than gmail even for privacy.

I agree that that's a good price if one is looking for a service with encryption.

• @openos said:
    Office 365 Education.....

how?

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • bersybersy Member
    edited August 2018

I just wanted to share desktop app I utilize Protonmail and Tutanota with https://github.com/vladimiry/email-securely-app

Thanked by 1Claverhouse
  • Interesting, thank you.

• dfmcvndfmcvn Member
    edited August 2018

Webmail? Yandex.

SMTP? Mailgun.

Hotel? Trivago.

• @dfmcvn said:
    Webmail? Yandex.

SMTP? Mailgun.

Hotel? Trivago.

I am using yandex, so far no issue.

• rackspace

• wgetwget Member

Now I am using Zoho.

People here are quite positive about Yandex, probably I will try it too.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Been using Zoho aswell, pretty good so far.

• Yandex Mail, beats the competition for sure in terms of a free email and it works great

• zoho and yandex are best choice for free mail domain service.

g suite if you need paid service.

• saf31saf31 Member
    edited August 2018

off-topic: Those who are concerned with privacy, have a look at prtonmail. They also offer a free version, however custom domain is a premium feature. https://protonmail.com/