Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Cloud very unstable! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Cloud very unstable!

Comments

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2018

Now i cannot start my server: Failed.

Thats not ready for production. After 10 manual start, worked :)

Thanked by 2willie coreflux
  • I don't understand why would people buy hetzner cloud while you can buy an decent i7 16G dedicated server at 20 euro at hetzner. The are same provider, same network.

• realbusinessrealbusiness Member
    edited June 2018

@hostingtalking said:
    I don't understand why would people buy hetzner cloud while you can buy an decent i7 16G dedicated server at 20 euro at hetzner. The are same provider, same network.

So that Dedi comes with:
    Raid 10 NVMe?
    10 GigE port?
    Redundant power supply?
    Managed hardware to keep it "up"?
    Oneclick backup?
    Oneclick snapshot?
    Instant resizing?
    Not much useful, but hourly billing?

Thanked by 1bjo
  • lionlion Member

@hostingtalking said:
    I don't understand why would people buy hetzner cloud while you can buy an decent i7 16G dedicated server at 20 euro at hetzner. The are same provider, same network.

Why rent a flat when you can rent a house

• williewillie Member

realbusiness said: So that Dedi comes with: Raid 10 NVMe? 10 GigE port? Redundant power supply? Managed hardware to keep it "up"?

The 20 euro ones have 2x 3TB HDD that you can set up as raid-1. I've had one for about 3 years with zero hardware downtime after a few initial hiccups that were quickly fixed by opening tickets. Port is 1gbit but that's enough for near anything, especially over the internet. SSD servers cost more than the HDD ones but I use the storage space on mine, and don't benefit much from SSD.

I like the cloud servers because of the cheap smaller ones, and the flexibility of hourly billing (spin them up for temporary use as needed). But I don't see much attraction of a long-term large instance instead of a dedi, even if the dedi costs a bit more. These servers are all silly cheap if you're doing anything serious.

• @hostingtalking said:

Hint: it starts with '20' and ends with 'B'

• How has the Hetzner cloud stability been recently? Looking to get a VPS there.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • No.

• redbull666 said: How has the Hetzner cloud stability been recently? Looking to get a VPS there.

In my Opinion not good. I tried for 3-4 months to use it, but results ~90-95% uptime and issues with restarts are frequent. Performance varies very much. Yes, for 3 euro VPS it's okay, but I can't use it for something serious.

• Mine has been fine (CX11). I've had one up for a few months with no restarts or other issues that I've noticed. I also spun up a CX41 for a short term project recently and that worked fine too (I had it about 10 days).

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • I currently have two cloud servers with Hetzner i Finland. Has been very stable in the last 6 months. Only downtime reported has been my own reboots.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • tried 2 months or so on finland and falkienstein. all good.

Thanked by 2coreflux Hetzner_OL
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited March 2019

desperand said: but results ~90-95% uptime

you are the kind of user I hate very much

%90 uptime means:

https://uptime.is/90

downtime of

Daily: 2h 24m 0.0s
    Weekly: 16h 48m 0.0s
    Monthly: 3d 1h 2m 54.6s
    Yearly: 36d 12h 34m 55.2s

and %95 is

https://uptime.is/95

downtime of

Daily: 1h 12m 0.0s
    Weekly: 8h 24m 0.0s
    Monthly: 1d 12h 31m 27.3s
    Yearly: 18d 6h 17m 27.6s

so other than you are saying one of the biggest players in datacenter business have at least daily 2h downtimes in their cloud offerrings and I really don't understand your rounding of uptimes.

between %90 and %95 there is a whole 18 days of downtime per year.

what you are saying is utter bullshit and trying to shit hetzners very well earned reputation in its services. You are either a noob dumbfuck or an idiot millenial who don't know anything about how network stuff works.

• zkyezzkyez Member

My hetzner vps only had an issue when there was a major outage a few months back. After that, for the last 60ish days, no downtime, no reboots.

• RazzaRazza Member

I been using Hetnzer cloud since launch even used it when it was in public beta.

I currently got 2 CX21 never had any issues mines at Falkienstein.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @eol is nigh

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • SvenSven Member

I am happy with it

11:38:09 up 237 days, 14:50, 1 user, load average: 0.36, 0.11, 0.08
    11:39:03 up 100 days, 2:01, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.10, 0.03

Thanked by 2uptime Hetzner_OL
  • I've yet to see packet loss on Hetzner CLOUD via 1min external monitoring (mix of Nuremburg and Falkenstein) .
    Maybe I'm lucky

• M2DEVM2DEV Member

FSN1 CX31 with nginx since Feb 6, 2018, absolutelly no downtine so far.
    Lucky?

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • emre said: you are the kind of user I hate very much

Sure, you're if you're a provider =)
    I'm not trying to be liked by you.

When I'm buying a VPS I expect that I will receive a product that will not restart every few days and crashing my app. I want a virtual private server which works 24/7/365 without issues, restarts, performance degradation, and constant issues with data centers, SSD's, CPU's whatever else.

I have dozens of VPSes in LET range, and not only, and for some reason, almost all of them never failed me, and do what is expected from them: 24/7/365 availability without issues and performance degradation.

The same I can't say about Hetzner, I did use them because of the hype around their cloud and "reputation", but sorry, I found them in person my experience not good at all.
    Even simple OVH vpses much stable then hetzner (OVH has dozens of issues every day inside their network, with nodes etc, but it's somehow not really affects me, or they do the maximum to minimize downtime).

What is "downtime"? It's not constant ping checking. It's a service that is provided with a time. For example, you can have crap disk sub-system, overloaded CPU's, oversold memory and have 100% uptime, but is it in your definition real uptime? In personal mine - not. Also, your VPS can even be turned off from the internet and will continue to run and your uptime will show that you have no reboots at all, but it's not what you expect when you buying a VPS from some provider.

And when I said above about 90-95% uptime, I mean exactly this what you displayed.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2019
    $ uptime
      21:27:49 up 129 days,  9:18,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

$ time du -a /usr | wc
      40921   81844 1920103
    real    0m0.534s
    user    0m0.128s
    sys     0m0.400s

Looks ok to me.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Just to point out that this was a thread from May--June 2018.

From what I can tell, there were some issues during the first six months of Hetzner's cloud offering, but it seems that there have been fewer issues since.

Thanked by 1lukehebb
  • lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2019

desperand said: I want a virtual private server which works 24/7/365 without issues

Lol

desperand said: expected from them: 24/7/365 availability without issues and performance degradation.

Also lol

You're never going to find a provider that has never ever ever encountered downtime. Hetzner has a great reputation, and someone who I trust after using them over the past few years. This was a brand new product when most issues were encountered, so was to be expected. Hetzner were always open and honest about this in any communications I've received.

I've had VMs running for months and months that haven't gone down. Everything performs beautifully as I'd expect. Better yet, their boot disk is running on Ceph so even if the hardware goes down my VM is fine and boots up somewhere else. Can't ask for more at this price point.

Thanked by 2angstrom Hetzner_OL
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The perfect girl never exists. Just find someone closest to that.

Thanked by 1JohnFilch123
  • lukehebb said: You're never going to find a provider that has never ever ever encountered downtime.

Bullshit. I already found many good providers here on LET which works without issues so far, and the Hetzner not one of them. And manipulations, as you do, is not correct. Of course, there is expected restarts due to some security issues, or broken hardware, but really reputable guys trying to avoid it as much as they can (avoid = apply without affecting client).

• AmitzAmitz Member

@deank said:

Like... Mama?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@deank said:

Anycast it.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@Amitz said:
    Like... Mama?

Well, ehm, whatever floats your goat.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • XeiXei Member

Hetzner cloud has had more than one unrecoverable failure for me which I've posted about -- only solution for those failures is VPS restart. I've been with them since the start. I've had similar happen on DO/Vultr as well however. I think they all have issues with that, I'm not sure if Hetzner has these failures more often than the other two from memory. As long as Hetzner can identify these failures and reduce their occurrence that's what matters.

• I'd say there have been crappy providers/products, then the usual LET suspects, then the better ones. OVH's old slabbed VPS product was crappy but their new Openstack-based versions (past few years) have been pretty good. Hetzner Cloud IME has also been pretty good other than some known early issues. OTOH VPS are in general less solid than dedicated servers since there aren't other crazy users mucking around on the host node.

I'd like to see some logs/traceroutes/ticket screenshots/etc from @desperand regarding all those alleged Hetzner outages, because it's mighty strange that nobody else seems to have been experience. Otherwise it looks like the usual crap we see when someone shows up trashing a provider without evidence.