Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

colo offers, do you want to see them here?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

colo offers, do you want to see them here?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

Just occurred to me that we have no specific rules for colo after some issues with a colo thread, I really don't see any issue with it in general, its likely to be few and far between but a fair number of people inquire about it so I thought why not give it a whirl officially.

We can either start with 1 big COLO requests/offers thread without rules to kick it off and take it from there or set an arbitrary price limit of $50 p/m p/U and forget it.

All opinions are welcome but please don't turn a mountain out of a mole hill and give me war and peace :)

Thanked by 1Foul

Comments

• FoulFoul Member

I'm down for one BIG colo thread to see how it pans out first!

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I reckon colo offerings would be nice. Plenty of VPS providers with thier own gear and would rather colo than rent.

• I think Colo thread is extremely geo-centric, hence there should be no limits on it. As a 50$ Colo in Asia with decent bandwidth is unheard of (except maybe in Singapore - that too shitty network). And obviously people tend to colo in their nearest region unlike getting dedicated servers which can be rented abroad as well.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • teamaccteamacc Member

It would require a bunch of safeguards to prevent Prout-ination.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

ok how about:

$50 USA (and everywhere else)

$60 Europe

$70 Asia pacific

edited May 2018

teamacc said: It would require a bunch of safeguards to prevent Prout-ination.

We are not regulators :)

edit: a provider tag would be required.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

I would be definitly interested in some colo offers :-)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I would not set any price limits, people can figure out what's a good deal and what's not on their own.

Thanked by 1Harambe

FHR said: I would not set any price limits, people can figure out what's a good deal and what's not on their own.

Makes sense, just that this being LET feels wrong not putting a limit on it :)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    ok how about:

$50 USA (and everywhere else)

$60 Europe

$70 Asia pacific

EU colocation, from what I've seen, is cheaper than in the US.

Thanked by 2vimalware maldovia
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

CConner said: EU colo'ing from what I've seen is cheaper in Europe than in the US.

Yes it's certainly possible. In LT, we could probably do colo for as little as $20 /month (depending on bandwidth and power requirements of course).

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

@randvegeta said:

CConner said: EU colo'ing from what I've seen is cheaper in Europe than in the US.

Yes it's certainly possible. In LT, we could probably do colo for as little as $20 /month (depending on bandwidth and power requirements of course).

Yeah, have yet to see offers like this: https://www.hetzner.com/colocation in the US (or anywhere else for that matter).

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

$50 colo is cheappp, I don't know who would be willing to post offers that low beyond like the 1-2 providers that advertise in that range (except for maybe some of the Raspberry Pi colo offers, which I'd actually like to see more of).

If you're going to set one, I'd say closer to $100 should be the limit. Maybe keep them in line with the new dedi limits? My colo'd boxes are about $70/mo each and that's in the cheap range for the locations they're in (at least for 1U/single box colo).

Thanked by 1GTHost
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@CConner said:

@randvegeta said:

Yeah, have yet to see offers like this: https://www.hetzner.com/colocation in the US (or anywhere else for that matter).

Note that that's without power (which can easily be more expensive than the colo itself), without IPs and with only 10TB of bandwidth per full rack.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    ok how about:

$70 Asia pacific

Should be around USD 90 for a normal dedi. I, personal, haven't seen anything lower than that except Intel NUC, pi3, which is not considered a dedi.

• JackHJackH Member

I'm up for 'Go for it and let all hell break loose. Work out the rules when things go wrong'. ;-)

• beaglebeagle Member

I'd like to see more for colo offers. A big thread is a good start.

Regarding price limits, why not align the limit with dedis?

• niknik Member, Host Rep

I wouldn't put a limit on it, also some people might be looking for 1/4 rack, so this can't be advertised? Also, some providers offer colo space seperated from power (pricing wise) and thus the whole price limit can be tricked, same for traffic.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2018

If you let that stuff to regulate itself, I can guarantee there will be no good offers.

Just the usual, 10% here you go shit.

Look at Quadranet, selling 10 Year old hardware for 40$, the fuck.

Thanked by 1rm_

Neoon said: If you let that stuff to regulate itself, I can guarantee there will be no good offers.

Just the usual, 10% here you go shit.

What do you think about limits/rules then?

• lazytlazyt Member

Sounds like a great idea.

• LeeLee Veteran

I would suggest it is a niche enough product that no limit should be set. Most of members on here are not going to be interested in it. Those who do want it can decide for themselves what offers are good or otherwise.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Something, 45€ for EU, 50$ for US, Asia & Pacific 70$.

I do not think that someone on LET will buy a 80€ 1U collocation in the EU.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Lowend colo is a disaster waiting to happen

corbpie said: Lowend colo is a disaster waiting to happen

Then use this as an opportunity to give an informed opinion to avoid a disaster.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

@AnthonySmith said:

corbpie said: Lowend colo is a disaster waiting to happen

Then use this as an opportunity to give an informed opinion to avoid a disaster.

Lowend: lowend support, lowend communication and lowend to give a fck about their customers hardware

• lurchlurch Member

I would like to see more mini Colo offers for pi's nuc etc

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2018

Neoon said: If you let that stuff to regulate itself, I can guarantee there will be no good offers.

There are plenty of spaces with offers having no limits, this place should remain the place for finding deals on low end price or specs.

AnthonySmith said: What do you think about limits/rules then?

Like the idea, rules should be something like the dedi/vps ones, price should be something like 50-60$/p and better yearly. And maybe some "go-go-go" special threads now and then (like the "birthday" or "local festivals" ones that appears often on LET) with no rules on pricing.

nik said: I wouldn't put a limit on it, also some people might be looking for 1/4 rack

Although this could be an issue, it could be something like +60-70% for each additional slot after the first one and set some minimum power/extra gear (racking) requirements to be honored for an offer to be valid.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@lurch said:
    I would like to see more mini Colo offers for pi's nuc etc

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/144041/packetgg-sydney-au-colocation-75-mo-55usd-rpi-colo-10-mo-7-50-usd

Did you spot this one?

corbpie said: Lowend: lowend support, lowend communication and lowend to give a fck about their customers hardware

Quality opinion.

This discussion has been closed.