Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hubic - the worst cloud storage ever
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hubic - the worst cloud storage ever

Hello Guys,

after Amazone Drive canceled the unlimited storage feature, i have to look around for an alternate solution to backup my personal NAS data (4,5TB in total) off site.
I was blinded by price to use Hubic - 4,16€/for 10TB/per Month (50€/year/10TB) is the best offer you can find to backup your NAS (except personal unencrypted, unlimited Backups via PC software like Backblaze personal or similar).

Speed: slow as hell - encrypted Backup via Synology can reach about 25GB-40GB/day (my line is 12Mbit upstream from Germany - fully usable all the time)-> so you can backup the full 10TB in only "a little less than one year" running continious backup upload...
by the way: Download is similar "fast"...

Reliability: reliable like copying to "/dev/null" all data is written OK to destination but you almost certainly won't get your data back ... (Some files lost, some are just not readable, some got wrong checksums)

Business practices: the best you can get for money - after i convinced to don't use Hubic further I "surpricingly canceled" my payed Account - that was fast the fastest process they offer -> seconds after i canceled my payed account i had no further access to the account (and any data stored there) - althought i payed for 365 days the little rest (of only 360 days of their "premium services") are now unusable und all data i stored there is lost.

recommendation: if you are looking for a slow replacement for "/dev/null" you should percive that offer.

All other people i advice to don't use Hubic ever...
I've read many negative reviews on lowendtalk but decided to ignore these opinions because of pricing.
That was the wrong way...

I look forward to use one of me known alternatives :
Synology C2: 7€/TB/Month
Hetzner Storage Box: 11,78€/2TB/Month
Google Drive: 9,99€/TB/Month
Google Business: >=5 Users for 8€/Month you get unlimited Space in Google Drive = 40€/Month for unlimited space (interessting for large (>= 5TB) Storages)

So i will have to reduce my storage needs or buy a simpe NAS hardware and provide it to one of my friends far away and pay the energy costs...
I have to calculate...

best regards

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

nonameuser said: Google Business: >=5 Users for 8€/Month you get unlimited Space in Google Drive = 40€/Month for unlimited space (interessting for large (>= 5TB) Storages)

Psst. Don't tell anyone, but if you just buy 1 user ($10/mo) it comes with unlimited storage - despite what the sales page says.

Way better than anything else out there right now. Of course it could end at any time, but I suspect Google wouldn't just nuke your data, probably just make it read-only until you cleared up enough space or upgraded (as they do when you have like free 100GB for 2 years drive upgrades that expire).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2018

If you have shitty upload, its Hubics fault?

if you click on delete and still got 360 days, its hubics fault? Obviously.

Why the fuck do you order for 1 Year if you want to test it? Oh yea, hubics fault.

TLDR: Layer 8.

Thanked by 4FHR Vinnyletje rm_ netomx
  • nonameusernonameuser Member
    edited May 2018

Hello Neoon,

i love your differentiated view of the things. Thats what is keeping discussions alive.
    Thanks for your objection. I will tell you my impression of the circumstances.

If you have shitty upload, its Hubics fault?

You're all right 12MBit/s is "shitty" compared to top performance fibre connections. Many people of the world are damned to come terms with less.
    But this (12Mbit) line is able to transfer nearly 130Gigabyte/day upstream - this was just a value to compare ... Hubic got about 30Gbyte/day while Google or Amazon deliverd nearly full line speed (min. >100Gbyte/day) on this line. And on a better lines like 100Mbit or 1000Mbit upstream the ratio for Hubic gets worse - while Google/Amazon almost delivered full speed (>1TB or >5TB/day)- hubic remains on 30GByte/day...

if you click on delete and still got 360 days, its hubics fault? Obviously.

Yes you are all right! I clicked on "delete" and Hubic telled me before delete "you were not able to access further".
    But the point is: it's the first and only provider i know that canceled the service immediately - all others i've ever payed let you use the service since end of paying period.

Why the fuck do you order for 1 Year if you want to test it? Oh yea, hubics fault.

Yes you are also all right - it was my fault - i wanted to "safe money" by buying a whole year to safe 2 months of fees in expectation that OVH (Hubic) is a reliable business partner.
    I payed this "instructive money" with pleasure because i believe that i can learn a lot more from experiences from lowendtalk than i've payed.

Layer 8.

Mostly - because credulity
    I've learned a lot this time...

This was the cause to publish my experience to lowendtalk - to prevent others from similar mistakes...

do you have any helpfull contributions to lowendtalk-users except my credulity?

• williewillie Member

nonameuser said: I was blinded by price

The best advice I can give for next time is open your eyes before buying.

• vovlervovler Member

You literally have a free plan to test it out before buying...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• vishvish Member

@vovler said:

Lol Gordon is the man

• @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

How is it near when the end has arrived two times?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Two wrongs make it right. Two ends make it a new beginning. But this one's beginning seems to be doomed from the start.

• The bandwidth is limited to 10 Mbit/s upstream and downstream. The connection speed also depends on the quality of the

Customer’s internet connection.

Source: https://hubic.com/en/contracts/Contrat_hubiC_2014.pdf

• fburgerfburger Member
    edited May 2018

I was customer at hubic
    After a year I wanted to change my credit card but lost my password for login
    Seems like no problem
    I tried to use "forget password" but the system told me, that there was no account under this mail adress

A day later I got an invoice to this address..

I contacted hubic via support 3 times , no answer in 4 weeks. I tried the forum. There were only angry customers, nobody got an answer from support and a lot of spam..

I have tried the ovh support, but they told me, that hubic has it own support

I gave up after 3 months, I could not pay :-)

This was 1 1/2 year ago. In the mean time I get an invoice over 50 eur every 2 weeks via mail adress althought this mail has no account according to them..

Only written in French with button to pay, but right.. I can not login :-)

Crazy...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2018

nonameuser said: Hubic got about 30Gbyte/day while Google or Amazon deliverd nearly full line speed (min. >100Gbyte/day) on this line.

And "Google or Amazon" provide you 10 TB for 5 EUR/mo?

When it works it works, and for me it was mostly reaching its 10 Mbit or sometimes more. But even the speed you got for the price is not really terrible, considering you didn't mention where are you from, or if you uploaded a few large files or a lot of small ones (which would really kill the upload speed).

Not to mention deleting a service prepaid for a year and expecting anything besides it getting... deleted?

• @nonameuser said:

While most parts are either from missing some parts from their ToS (such as network speed), I am really surprised to read that canceled service was expected to still work.

If it has already been prepaid, and no hope to get refund - why not to leave it as is (already paid for!), and create, say, a record in your calendar to check 2-3 weeks before next renewal - to cancel it, if nothing changes to better?

I agree that such mistakes shouldn't be made. Good luck with your next storage provider...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@vovler said:

Pictures tell more then 1000 words, wonderfull.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MalinMalin Member

You get what you pay for. 50 euros for 10 TB and you complain about it? If you want better speeds and functionality there's plenty of options at 50+ euros for 1 TB

• graphicgraphic Member

@Malin said:
    You get what you pay for. 50 euros for 10 TB and you complain about it? If you want better speeds and functionality there's plenty of options at 50+ euros for 1 TB

Invite some friends or make some dummy accounts and you'll get 12,5 TB for 50€.

• williewillie Member

Malin said: 50 euros for 10 TB and you complain about it?

But it's almost useless at those speeds, at anything like that volume of data. 92 days to upload at 10 mbit and 92 to download? Heh.

• MalinMalin Member

@graphic said:
    Invite some friends or make some dummy accounts and you'll get 12,5 TB for 50€.

Yea' that's truly something.

@willie said:
    But it's almost useless at those speeds, at anything like that volume of data. 92 days to upload at 10 mbit and 92 to download? Heh.

I know mate, I had it for one year too and the speed wasn't the only issue I had. I wrote a blog post about this when I ditched it: https://zpoz.net/fb4cj

• williewillie Member

Malin said: I know mate, I had it for one year too and the speed wasn't the only issue I had. I wrote a blog post about this when I ditched it: https://zpoz.net/fb4cj

A good post, though server backup is outside of Hubic's intended use case (dunno about its TOS). Oles posted about it here (in French, scroll down to "06/02/2016, 10h32"):

https://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php/108343-hubiC-PCS-et-PCA

Basically they envisioned users backing up personal data over 10 mbit ADSL so 10TB effectively means "unlimited". But that along with personal users, "On parle de sysadmin, de dev et d'autres pro qui ont de besoins de backup de leur infrastructure. Ils ont été séduit par l'offre de 10To à 5e/mois". Trans.: "we are talking about a sysadmins or other professionals who have to back up their infrastructure, and were seduced by the offer of 10TB at 5euro/month".

He basically says the professional users should be using OVH Public Cloud instead, and announced a migration plan for them from Hubic to Public Cloud Archive (PCA). PCA seems like a good product for long term archiving, costing 0.002e/GB/m for storage, plus 0.01e/GB for transfer, both in and out. In an upload-once download-probably-never backup use case with 1 year retention, you pay 10e (upload) + 2e*12 (storage) = 34e for a terabyte, vs 60e for a year 5e/mo ftp storage with free transfer. If you actually do have to restore, that's 10e upload and 10e download, and PCA beats the ftp storage at around 7 months.

I should move some of my own stuff there...

• teamaccteamacc Member

@willie said:
    If you actually do have to restore, that's 10e upload and 10e download

That's worst-case, if you need to restore EVERYTHING. You probably won't need everything.

Thanked by 2rm_ netomx
  • williewillie Member
    edited May 2018

teamacc said: That's worst-case, if you need to restore EVERYTHING. You probably won't need everything.

The natural use cases for restoring are 1) messed up a file by accident, or 2) hard drive crash. In the case of archival storage #1 is unlikely, so any restore will probably be a multi-TB restore.

Currently most of my stuff (predominantly database snapshots) is on a Hetzner auction server with 2x3TB drives in raid-1, around 2500GB of usable storage, backed up to a 1x2TB Kimsufi plus some VPS's here and there. Originally I just relied on the RAID for protection (it isn't mission-critical data, whatever that means) but then added the remote backups. Given the backups and that the data is static though, who needs RAID?

So I think of repartitioning the Hetzner server to 2x 2TB non-RAID partitions (one on each drive) plus 2x500GB as a 500GB RAID-1 volume, put the static stuff in non-RAID plus Cloud Archive, and have the (smaller) less-static stuff in the RAID partition plus a remote copy. That would expand the Hetzner box to 4.5TB usable which would let me get rid of several other servers, and PCA holding 4TB would save 10+ euro/m compared to using regular storage (but there would be that initial upload cost). It's tempting.

• QuickyQuicky Member

Hello,

Hubic closed new registration. Whaqt other options are there for similiar pride/storage?

Thanks

• squibssquibs Member

Well that sucks.

I have used it as a backup of last resort. So data on devices, data copied to server, server rsynced to a 6Tb drive, and Hubicfuse in case the premises is nuked.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Quicky said: Whaqt other options are there for similiar pride/storage?

I use Yandex.Disk.

1TB = 200rub ~ 3 usd.

But I noticed a lot of problems in Hubic. For example, when the file uploaded and hung for 5 minutes. Most likely they were tired of supporting him.

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited July 2018

@squibs said:
    Well that sucks.

I have used it as a backup of last resort. So data on devices, data copied to server, server rsynced to a 6Tb drive, and Hubicfuse in case the premises is nuked.

You can still use it if you have an account. Only new registrations are blocked.

Original post from OVH:

In 2011, an experimental ‘Lab’ on storage technologies was met with a rapid and unexpected degree of success, so we developed this solution further and offered a more sophisticated version of it for sale.

After several months of effort and development, this ‘Lab’ became hubiC, a storage solution aimed at the general public, in order to allow everyone to reap the benefits of storage and synchronisation in the Cloud.

hubiC has been based on our Public Cloud solution since the outset (on our Public Cloud Storage, to be precise), allowing it to leverage that solution’s robustness and its underlying technologies (including OpenStack Swift). This Public Cloud Storage solution hosts over 100 PB of data, the equivalent of 25 billion MP3s or 300 million hours of video!

Even today, part of the vast quantity of data hosted on this infrastructure corresponds to the thousands of hubiC customers who trust us to store their data.

However, a service like hubiC does not rely on its storage technologies alone; there are a range of other aspects that need to be updated and monitored. Even though these other aspects fell outside our core business, we continued to develop them.

Over the years, and as the market became more and more competitive, the specifications needed for developing a solution for the general public gradually got longer and longer, and started to diverge more and more from the updates and features needed and in demand for our professional solutions.

The business of OVH is providing cloud solutions for developers, IT companies and professionals in all sectors of activity. We need to focus on our core business to consolidate our very rapid growth in Europe and the United States.

We have therefore decided to stop developing hubiC and suspend the creation of new accounts

Our very rapid growth, in line with the requirements of the professional markets, has forced us to make this difficult decision about a product that is outside the scope of our main activity.

Since we will continue to use hubiC for our own requirements the service will be maintained. Therefore, although the creation of new accounts has been suspended, existing customers can continue to use their services for an indefinite period, under the same terms and conditions. No data will be deleted and the synchronisation and backup features will remain active, as will the web application, the API and the Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android applications. The only difference is that no new features will be proposed in the future.

Furthermore, we are open to discussion if a European partner capable of providing a storage solution for everyone in accordance with OVH’s values is interested in taking over hubiC. To contact us : [email protected] .

We would like to thank all hubiC users for their ideas and their support over the past seven years.

OVH Team

• squibssquibs Member
    edited July 2018

@graphic said:said:

Well that sucks.

You can still use it if you have an account. Only new registrations are blocked.

Original post from OVH:

In 2011, an experimental ‘Lab’ on storage technologies was met with a rapid and unexpected degree of success, so we developed this solution further and offered a more sophisticated version of it for sale.

After several months of effort and development, this ‘Lab’ became hubiC, a storage solution aimed at the general public, in order to allow everyone to reap the benefits of storage and synchronisation in the Cloud.

hubiC has been based on our Public Cloud solution since the outset (on our Public Cloud Storage, to be precise), allowing it to leverage that solution’s robustness and its underlying technologies (including OpenStack Swift). This Public Cloud Storage solution hosts over 100 PB of data, the equivalent of 25 billion MP3s or 300 million hours of video!

OVH Team

Yes, but now I feel I'm using a service that could die at any time, and I expect the support will go from bad to non-existent. It is a sinking ship and this rat wants off.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

How long before people start trying to peddle their hubic accounts online?

• squibssquibs Member

@K4Y5 said:

Want mine? :-)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@squibs said:

@K4Y5 said:

Want mine? :-)

Oh, hell no!

It took them years to stop sending invoices to me for a service that I couldn't use due to 10Mbit throttling, and had already cancelled. I don't want to go through that torture again.

• @Vova1234 said:

Quicky said: Whaqt other options are there for similiar pride/storage?

I use Yandex.Disk.

1TB = 200rub ~ 3 usd.

But I noticed a lot of problems in Hubic. For example, when the file uploaded and hung for 5 minutes. Most likely they were tired of supporting him.

Yandex also provides free unlimited photo storage via mobile app.