Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LeaseWeb: Weird billing practice - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LeaseWeb: Weird billing practice

Comments

• solairesolaire Member

@elos42 said:
    Can you point out one sentence in the contract that says that the initial payment is for the second month and that the first month will have to be paid later? If you do, I'll actually print it and put it under my pillow.

Pro-rata charge

Virtually all customers will find a one-time fee added to their first calendar month bill as a new customer, or when new services are added.

All LeaseWeb services are billed by the calendar month, so the billing period for your LeaseWeb services will always start at the first of the month. If you order a new service or are a new customer, the start date will often not be the first of the month. This is why there will be a one-time fee added to your first invoice showing the new service or, as a new customer. This covers the phase between the start of your service (i.e. the day on which the server is ready to use), and the first day of the next month.

On your proforma invoice, the one-time fee can be identified by the date, for example: "XXX001 From 15-4-2005 to 1-5-2005 EUR 89,00". This one-time fee will also appear on the official invoice for your administration.

Please refer to the article on Prepaid explanation for further information.

https://kb.leaseweb.com/display/KB/Invoices

• elos42elos42 Member

Nice. The only problem is that it's not the contract that is applicable to me, according to Leaseweb email. This is: https://www.leaseweb.com/sites/default/files/Legal/SG_ENG_B2B_General_Conditions.pdf

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Sigh. You really need a lesson in the contract law. I bet you're about to get one from their Debt Collector.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited May 2018

@elos42 said:
    Nice. The only problem is that it's not the contract that is applicable to me, according to Leaseweb email. This is: https://www.leaseweb.com/sites/default/files/Legal/SG_ENG_B2B_General_Conditions.pdf

Yeah, no. Have a look at their services specification that are applicable to you and stop dodging the facts: https://www.leaseweb.com/sites/default/files/Legal/SG_ENG_B2B_Services_Specification.pdf

Also, I want to call you a few names. Not pet names, obviously. Just a few names to point out how retarded this whole subject turned out to be. I went through the process of ordering a server at Leaseweb and you know what? It's there on their ordering page. It even has a larger font size and it's in bold! What else do you need, someone to pat you on the back and explain it to you with building blocks?

@solaire said:

@elos42 said:

Yeah, no. Have a look at their services specification that are applicable to you and stop dodging the facts: https://www.leaseweb.com/sites/default/files/Legal/SG_ENG_B2B_Services_Specification.pdf

Also, I want to call you a few names. Not pet names, obviously. Just a few names to point out how retarded this whole subject turned out to be. I went through the process of ordering a server at Leaseweb and you know what? It's there on their ordering page. It even has a larger font size and it's in bold! What else do you need, someone to pat you on the back and explain it to you with building blocks?

Thank you very much for posting this.
    It made my day.

The OP's claims are so ridiculous that they are painful to read...

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2018

elos42 said: They don't have an option of canceling the product before the second month is out. (By cancel, I mean a situation where I am not being billed. Not like Leaseweb defines it -- where the item is canceled, but will continue to be billed because apparently, the first payment was for the month of May and not for April).

So, no, I didn't forget to cancel the product before the first billing cycle was through. The first billing cycle will end only on May 31, according to their warped policy.

bullshit.

they have a cancel button and you did not use it in time.

you simply don't know how it would have been handled/invoiced if you would have cancelled correctly.
    you're just guessing it to be the same, based on what you have been told by now after the time ran out and a second invoice got issued.

as told before, I cancelled services three times with them and never got an additional bill for any remainder of the ordering month, so essentially even got some days for free on top to the regular billing period.

edit: see @solaire post above
    so they might have changed things since the last time I order/cancelled anything but they point it out clearly during ordering ...

• xaocxaoc Member

@elos42 meh...

• elos42elos42 Member

First, they have to convince a judge that their system of charging is fair, and that by canceling my contract after 1 month, I caused them a loss of business.

In all, recovering this $7 from me will cost them a few thousand dollars at least!

@Clouvider said:
    Sigh. You really need a lesson in the contract law. I bet you're about to get one from their Debt Collector.

• elos42elos42 Member

Ha ha, now you accept, don't you?

@Falzo said:

elos42 said: They don't have an option of canceling the product before the second month is out. (By cancel, I mean a situation where I am not being billed. Not like Leaseweb defines it -- where the item is canceled, but will continue to be billed because apparently, the first payment was for the month of May and not for April).

So, no, I didn't forget to cancel the product before the first billing cycle was through. The first billing cycle will end only on May 31, according to their warped policy.

bullshit.

they have a cancel button and you did not use it in time.

you simply don't know how it would have been handled/invoiced if you would have cancelled correctly.
    you're just guessing it to be the same, based on what you have been told by now after the time ran out and a second invoice got issued.

as told before, I cancelled services three times with them and never got an additional bill for any remainder of the ordering month, so essentially even got some days for free on top to the regular billing period.

edit: see @solaire post above
    so they might have changed things since the last time I order/cancelled anything but they point it out clearly during ordering ...

• elos42elos42 Member

Damn. I should have read that fine print, I guess (if it was there at the time).

@solaire said:

@elos42 said:

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • elos42elos42 Member
    edited May 2018

Right now, they are in this funny situation where they can't get me to pay for April, but they can't cancel their services for May because I've paid for it! And this kind of billing still doesn't strike you as weird?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@elos42 said:
    Ha ha, now you accept, don't you?

@Falzo said:

I never denied the possibiliy that they changed their invoicing since I last ordered/cancelled. and I still say you simply do not know, how it would have been handled if you'd have cancelled it correctly in the first place.

that you did not read the text during order process does not make any of your points more valid by any means. how can something be weird if it is clearly mentioned upfront?

edited May 2018

@elos42 said:
    First, they have to convince a judge that their system of charging is fair, and that by canceling my contract after 1 month, I caused them a loss of business.

In all, recovering this $7 from me will cost them a few thousand dollars at least!

@Clouvider said:

Or they can sue you in the Netherlands and summon you there since, you know, you agreed in the contract that Netherlands court will deal with the disputes. Once you ever put a foot on EU affiliated ground you'll need to start thinking how to obtain a few k on the spot to avoid further issues.

or pay them the few dollars you should.

@elos42 said:
    Damn. I should have read that fine print, I guess (if it was there at the time).

@solaire said:

@elos42 said:

haha. You're so full of yourself. Do you really think they would update the order form just to prove a point to you?

lol.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

All of lowend drama for how much?

Be careful when you get a mortgage. They won't be as nice when you skip a payment because you felt justified of skipping it.

• elos42elos42 Member

End of the day, I'm sure next time, some of the 1000 or so people who read this will be aware that when they are actually ordering a VPS for testing from leaseweb, they'll be paying twice, once up front and once after a few days more.

Worth the drama, don't you think?

@deank said:
    All of lowend drama for how much?

Be careful when you get a mortgage. They won't be as nice when you skip a payment because you felt justified of skipping it.

• elos42elos42 Member

Ten years ago, I would actually bother replying to this comment. But these days, I just let guys like you be.

@Clouvider said:

@elos42 said:

@Clouvider said:

Or they can sue you in the Netherlands and summon you there since, you know, you agreed in the contract that Netherlands court will deal with the disputes. Once you ever put a foot on EU affiliated ground you'll need to start thinking how to obtain a few k on the spot to avoid further issues.

or pay them the few dollars you should.

So perhaps this circus should be closed already and the OP wanted/banned for trying to con the community into believing they’re trying to stole of him ?

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • xaocxaoc Member

@Clouvider said:
    So perhaps this circus should be closed already and the OP wanted/banned for trying to con the community into believing they’re trying to stole of him ?

But it was just a misunderstanding! xD A title change and "set to sink" is all that's required imo.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2018

Nope let it stay because he could of simply opened a ticket asked billing about the issue. Then it proves he doesn't even want to man up and admit he is at fault for not reading the boxes when he signed up. He gave himself an out to use. So this whole thread was started on nonsense.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • sinsin Member

elos42 said: (if it was there at the time).

It's always been there. I order from Leaseweb a lot and they have had that there for quite some time (at least since 2014 when I started using them) and it's also very easy to cancel vpses. Example:

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

OK so you signed up and ordered BEFORE you read the TOS and AUP. Now you do understand how they bill. Not everyone i n the whole wide world bills the same. Would be awfully nice if they did, but unfortunately they do not.

It is not just this industry, but in almost every industry. There are no laws saying you have to bill a certain way. There should never be any laws saying how you bill things.

You think this messed up trying dealing with a lawyers billing practices. That will drive you bat shit crazy.

• elos42elos42 Member
    edited May 2018

I don't really see what the whole furore is about.

Here's a company that is currently trying to get me to pay for a month when I actually needed, and used their service, after allocating the money I paid to a month when I actually don't need their service. I called that weird, because in all my 15 years of buying VPSes, I've never seen such a billing practice. If you think it's quite normal, may be your clients/suppliers are a different sort compared to mine.

Many of you, who didn't read my original post carefully, blamed me for not canceling the contract after the end of the first month, when that wasn't possible at all under their terms. A lot of you got really agitated and animated about that too, until someone posted a screenshot that backed what I was trying to say -- that they do indeed bill you for the future, and not for the current month, at sign up.

Now you are saying that's quite normal. Fine, it may be normal for you. It isn't for me. I'm sure there'd be others too who'd be interested in finding out about such billing practices. There was no need to lose your sleep over this issue.

And for the record, I am not the one who brought up lawyers and Interpol notices and action by the European Union to recover $7.

I dare say any consumer court in my country would fine the provider for misleading/convoluted/non-transparent billing practices.

@AuroraZ said:
    OK so you signed up and ordered BEFORE you read the TOS and AUP. Now you do understand how they bill. Not everyone i n the whole wide world bills the same. Would be awfully nice if they did, but unfortunately they do not.

It is not just this industry, but in almost every industry. There are no laws saying you have to bill a certain way. There should never be any laws saying how you bill things.

You think this messed up trying dealing with a lawyers billing practices. That will drive you bat shit crazy.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited May 2018

@elos42 said:

>

I don't really see what the whole furore is about.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • CoreyCorey Member

15 years of buying vps'es and you want to compare everyone elses billing practices to digital ocean... hmmm

Well, if DO is his only experience, I guess that's dat. Small world and view, he has.

• edited May 2018

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Nope let it stay because he could of simply opened a ticket asked billing about the issue. Then it proves he doesn't even want to man up and admit he is at fault for not reading the boxes when he signed up. He gave himself an out to use. So this whole thread was started on nonsense.
    @AuroraZ said:
    OK so you signed up and ordered BEFORE you read the TOS and AUP.

Lol...nobody reads that stuff. I can tell you that 99.999% of my customers don't read my TOS based on the sort of things that come up and questions they ask. The only people who (maybe) read those things are people doing shady stuff. Wondering how much they can get away with.

• edited May 2018

@Corey said:
    15 years of buying vps'es and you want to compare everyone elses billing practices to digital ocean... hmmm

I don't think that is unreasonable. DO came out of nowhere to be one of the biggest VPS providers in the world for a reason. Simple interface, simple terms, simple billing. Now you see everyone else trying to play catchup and do the same thing even though it seems like common sense now. So DO has changed peoples expectations.

edited May 2018

Made it so simple that they apparently made their users simple as well.

Reminds me of people tapping their cards so much that they forget their pin number.

• edited May 2018

@deank said:
    Made it so simple that they apparently made their users simple as well.

Reminds me of people tapping their cards so much that they forget their pin number.

You will NEVER be successful in the hosting business or any business thinking that way. The customer is always right. If people are doing something wrong you don't try bend the customer to do it the way you want. It's the other way around.