Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leapswitch New Server Shipment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leapswitch New Server Shipment

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
edited October 2013 in Providers

Hey everyone,
After our last post with server photos got a tremendous response, here we go again.

Our new shipment contains -

>

10 E3-v3 Supermicro servers with 16-32GB RAM

>

2 CloudCoreRouters (for a big LEB client)

>

6 SSDs and 10 SSD converters

>

20 spare HDDs

>

Some 4-8GB RAM sticks

>

Dual colored patch cords for IPMI and Network

Servers -

SSD converters -

We will soon have a new OpenVZ and KVM offer alongwith IPv6 on these new servers.

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited October 2013

It seems there is a photo limit per post. So remaining are here -

Cloud Core Routers - (for a client)

Servers, drives, RAM, patch cables -

• Congrats for the new toys! :) But i'd suggest you to get rid of these cloud core routers. A customer of ours got one of these for testing and got easily knocked out by not very strong DDoS attacks. The router just locked up and rebooted when routing a DDoS.

@rds100 said:
    Congrats for the new toys! :) But i'd suggest you to get rid of these cloud core routers. A customer of ours got one of these for testing and got easily knocked out by not very strong DDoS attacks. The router just locked up and rebooted when routing a DDoS.

Thank you. How big a DDOS attack ?

• @leapswitch it was less than 500Mbps, but high PPS (small packets).

@rds100 said:
    leapswitch it was less than 500Mbps, but high PPS (small packets).

I see. I will pass this on to the client who ordered them.

• pics are cool, maybe post some actual server pics?

• Agreed, I'd like to see the servers as well.

• @rds100 said:
    Congrats for the new toys! :) But i'd suggest you to get rid of these cloud core routers. A customer of ours got one of these for testing and got easily knocked out by not very strong DDoS attacks. The router just locked up and rebooted when routing a DDoS.

Cloud Core is MicroTik, right? I've heard nothing but good stuff about that. Those routers can supposedly handle millions of PPS.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

It seems like I know those Mikrotik :-)

@prometeus said:
    It seems like I know those Mikrotik :-)

:D

• i actually installed mikrotik on a thinclient, but cause i was renovating the house i never got the chance to try it out after i installed it..

• @mpkossen said:
    Cloud Core is MicroTik, right? I've heard nothing but good stuff about that. Those routers can supposedly handle millions of PPS.

Yes, it's Mikrotik. Maybe it was a software issue, this was shortly after the CloudCore Router was released. Maybe they have fixed the bugs after that. But the first impressions were very bad - judged by what our customer experienced.

@rds100 said:
    Yes, it's Mikrotik. Maybe it was a software issue, this was shortly after the CloudCore Router was released. Maybe they have fixed the bugs after that. But the first impressions were very bad - judged by what our customer experienced.

As far I know they should have fixed several bugs after the CCR were released, or at least I hope so :-)

@rds100 said:

@prometeus said:
    As far I know they should have fixed several bugs after the CCR were released, or at least I hope so :-)

I have recently done some extensive reading about the CCRs. When they were released, RouterOS was at 6.0beta/RC and now it is at 6.4 which is 4 minor revisions. A lot of changes have happened since the launch. However, new CCRs still ship with RouterOS 6.0 and they come with a label asking you to upgrade before using.

• @prometeus yes, possibly it's been fixed since then. I am still not impressed with the 12 x 1G ports though. It's 2013, they should have added at least 1-2 10G ports.

@rds100 said:
    prometeus yes, possibly it's been fixed since then. I am still not impressed with the 12 x 1G ports though. It's 2013, they should have added at least 1-2 10G ports.

You have 4 x SFP for 10G , and some versions come with 10G ports, I think.

• @leapswitch the 4 SFPs are for 1G optic ports i think. I don't see any mention of 10G ports on their webpage.

@rds100 said:
    prometeus yes, possibly it's been fixed since then. I am still not impressed with the 12 x 1G ports though. It's 2013, they should have added at least 1-2 10G ports.

they just did it:

Cloud Core Router 1036-8G-2S+ with two 10Gbit SFP+

Anyway 10G ports need more pps power

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited October 2013

@prometeus hmm where is this model? I couldn't see it on www.cloudcorerouter.com

edit: oh, i found it - on www.mikrotik.com

They should still consider using some ASICs. A CPU can only handle so many pps, even with 36 cores.

@rds100 said:
    prometeus hmm where is this model? I couldn't see it on www.cloudcorerouter.com

edit: oh, i found it - on www.mikrotik.com

They should still consider using some ASICs. A CPU can only handle so many pps, even with 36 cores.

BGP currently runs only on 1 core. So, one core will be nearly always at high (80-100% usage). RouterOS 7 plans to change that with multi-core BGP processing.

Thanked by 1rds100

@rds100
    I consider them as a flexible alternative to a software only router, when the bps to route are limited.
    BTW for cd lan I'm touch with Juniper to get a couple of MX480 :-D

• @prometeus MX480 - that's one damn expensive beast :) Btw i heard there is some new "budget" Juniper model - MX104, somehow better than the MX80. But nobody has seen it yet or knows when it can be delivered.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2013

:) Better take some S25P, some optics and a few SMs (8x 1TB, 144GB Ram each :p)

@rds100: I can get the MX104 in Austria already (via Nextlayer.at) - They say it's much better than the MX80 (Port wise also) but pricing isn't stable yet... We might experiment some with 2 MX240 next year to see what they can really do :)

• @William i'm hoping that the arrival of the MX104 will make the price of the MX80 more reasonable, then i will get some for playing :) If they change their stupid policy of charging for everything i mean - $5000 for "BGP license" ?! WTF?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2013

Heres also some SuperMicro "Micro"cloud pictures - Neat, Sixcore E5-26XX and up to 128GB (32GBx4) and 8TB (4TBx2) in 8x25x2.5cm each :D

http://imgur.com/a/uuLnV

@rds100 sadly not, license pricing stays exactly the same (same licenses in fact, as usual on JunOS) :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Yep, microclouds are awesome, we run iwstack out of them and for this usage are even better because the no disk part :)
    Well, not actually microcloud, but multi bladed TWIN-FATs, but the idea is similar. Even atoms are in similar wrapping :)
    We do use real MCs too, some of the SSD offers are there.

• @William <3 the haribo's :P

• @William said:
    Heres also some SuperMicro "Micro"cloud pictures - Neat, Sixcore E5-26XX and up to 128GB (32GBx4) and 8TB (4TBx2) in 8x25x2.5cm each :D

Curious how much does a complete system like this cost?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@earl $7

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy