Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would anyone here actually recommend 1&1
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would anyone here actually recommend 1&1

Long story short.... I bought domain from 1&1 why? idk. Want to transfer it to my beloved namecheap. In order to process transfer out I need to turn off domain transfer lock... To turn off domain transfer lock I need to turn off private registration. Each process takes 24-48 hours facepalm

I also remember being transferred to collections for a domain renewal for one domain back in 2011ish... After all the fees it was like $60 for a .com. Here's the kicker I called their customer service to turn off auto renewal and they did it and sent me an email confirming it, and at the time I was like 15. Is that legal? Maybe their TOS stated you had to be 18 who knows.

So is there any one here who would honestly recommend their client use a 1&1 service they don't currently offer themselves?

Comments

• I'm not sure if you're looking for yesses specifically or yes/no. Obligatory no though. The problems I experienced (Maybe 3-5 years ago?) put me off for life.

• deadpooldeadpool Member
    edited April 2018

@Hoost said:
    I'm not sure if you're looking for yesses specifically or yes/no. Obligatory no though. The problems I experienced (Maybe 3-5 years ago?) put me off for life.

I think an open discussion leads to a good discussion so opinions of all are welcome!

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Shitty registrar, even worse hosting company. However, their cloud offering isn't total shit. Someone at work spun up a bunch of VMs there and we've had like 18+ months of solid service.

Although I definitely wouldn't recommend them over DO, Linode, Vultr, etc.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2018

@Harambe said:
    Shitty registrar, even worse hosting company. However, their cloud offering isn't total shit. Someone at work spun up a bunch of VMs there and we've had like 18+ months of solid service.

Although I definitely wouldn't recommend them over DO, Linode, Vultr, etc.

lol they tried to charge me the yearly fee for a domain that I transferred out...

A.K.A don’t use their registration services. The cheap price is only there so it can trap you for a second year.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I've heard horror stories regarding 1&1 but it mostly seems to be related to domains. Haven't heard of anything absurdly bad about their hosting itself.

• RodneyRodney Member
    edited April 2018

@deank said:
    I've heard horror stories regarding 1&1 but it mostly seems to be related to domains. Haven't heard of anything absurdly bad about their hosting itself.

Just yesterday I received an email from them telling me they "forgot" to bill me for my cloud servers and will start doing so next month.

I haven't had a contract with them since february and can't login to their panel because I have no active contracts.

So I'd say it's going great!

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I've only ever used their shared hosting service years ago, and it did the job.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2018

@caniac22 said: I also remember being transferred to collections for a domain renewal for one domain back in 2011ish... After all the fees it was like $60 for a .com. Here's the kicker I called their customer service to turn off auto renewal and they did it and sent me an email confirming it, and at the time I was like 15. Is that legal? Maybe their TOS stated you had to be 18 who knows.

Hmm, none of that sounds like their fault necessarily, but perhaps I've missed something. Why were you transferred to collections for domain renewal? Don't know what their ToS says about minimum age, but you should have looked at it beforehand if you were 15 pretending to be older.

Thanked by 2Aidan southy
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Thanked by 1pike
  • GodsGods Member

Customer service is questionable but I have been doing email hosting with them for around 2 years and has been solid. It's like 2 dollars a month for unlimited accounts.

I'm poor

• pikepike Veteran
    edited April 2018

OT: 1&1 is a meme in germany

@brueggus

edit: why doesnt linking to a specific time work here? 1m56s is the part I marked...

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • @Gods said:
    Customer service is questionable but I have been doing email hosting with them for around 2 years and has been solid. It's like 2 dollars a month for unlimited accounts.

My experience with customer service wasn't great either. They don't really have any ticket system (at least for cloud stuff) and the live chat or emails always get you the same answer: you'll have to call their support hotline.

Granted it's toll free iirc and they were usually pretty quick, but... I just don't want to have to talk to a human if it's some issue that just requires them to click a button in their system.

• Domain registration side, no. Their panel for managing domains/DNS is awful.

Hosting side, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

• They billed me the renewal for a transferred out .info a few years ago, although they fixed it fairly promptly when asked. Always use Paypal and cancel pre-approval asap.

• sundaymouse said: They billed me the renewal for a transferred out .info a few years ago, although they fixed it fairly promptly when asked. Always use Paypal and cancel pre-approval asap.

+1 for this. I learn it the hard way. Always cancel pre-approval payment on Paypal.

As for 1&1, I lost my account there (and so my domain), and they even charge me for a service I never asked. Their support is just is the worst I've ever had.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

No, had way to many issues with 1&1.

• I once had a domain with them, didn't really faced any problem but I, being a careful customer, bought after reading reviews therefore cancelled my subscription as soon as they made first charge for domain.

• FennecFoxFennecFox Member
    edited April 2018

Absolutely not, bought a domain from them two weeks ago, I'm still waiting for it to be fully activated but it was confirmed and paid for. It was only like £3 but I don't think I'll be returning. (Also phone support only when looking for ways to contact them)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

People need to stop looking at price alone when choosing a provider to stop falling into such marketing traps...

• No use the bun.

• They somehow refuse to deal with Dutch customers. Go look at the list of countries they accept. It's insane.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

@Clouvider said:
    People need to stop looking at price alone when choosing a provider to stop falling into such marketing traps...

Come on. Some business models rely on human stupidity. Don't tell people to smarten up.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Wolveix
  • @angstrom said:

@caniac22 said: I also remember being transferred to collections for a domain renewal for one domain back in 2011ish... After all the fees it was like $60 for a .com. Here's the kicker I called their customer service to turn off auto renewal and they did it and sent me an email confirming it, and at the time I was like 15. Is that legal? Maybe their TOS stated you had to be 18 who knows.

Hmm, none of that sounds like their fault necessarily, but perhaps I've missed something. Why were you transferred to collections for domain renewal? Don't know what their ToS says about minimum age, but you should have looked at it beforehand if you were 15 pretending to be older.

Because they renewed it after I said I didn't want to. I called the collections agency and sent them the email I received from 1&1 and they dropped the claim. I'm not saying that this is the case but I know from past experience with sales... People do shady things. Maybe those care agents have reporting based on how many domains they salvage and that rep was having a bad month. So they tricked the system to help their numbers. Again not saying that's the case but things like this happen more than you think.

I wouldn't say I pretended to be older. I don't think any registrar asks for your age at sign up.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Not even with a gun to my head and a vice on my balls.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

The conclusion seems to be that nobody here would actually recommend 1&1, at least not as a registrar.

Thanked by 2mksh Sofia_K
  • mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:
    The conclusion seems to be that nobody here would actually recommend 1&1, at least not as a registrar.

Actually i wouldn't trust them with anything even if some people seem to get away with using their hosting. As someone mentioned 1&1 is widely known in germany for having crappy service and using underhanded tactics. This started like 20 years ago with their DSL offerings and they haven't changed one bit since then. I think it's safe to assume they won't ever change.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited April 2018

I registered a .ORG with 1and1 for promo price of $1.99 cents last month. Though their new domain control panel now appears more clean and sleek, the backend infrastructure is still slow compared to Godaddy, Namesilo or Namecheap with regards to registering nameservers, changing IP, DNS stuff, etc. It took nearly beyond 24 hours for tasks that Godaddy or Namecheap completes in few minutes. I will be transferring my .ORG domain to one of the above three before expiry date.

@caniac22 thanks for your post. I'll be removing my domain privacy, unlocking domain a week or two before I transfer out :)

• No bulk domains tools. Only manual for each domain, only hardcore!

• @jetchirag said:
    I once had a domain with them, didn't really faced any problem but I, being a careful customer, bought after reading reviews therefore cancelled my subscription as soon as they made first charge for domain.

I too cancelled the paypal auto-subscription agreement that gives 1and1 to charge up to $500 to my paypal account the moment I registered the domain. Better to be safe.

• GodsGods Member

@Rodney said:

@Gods said:

My experience with customer service wasn't great either. They don't really have any ticket system (at least for cloud stuff) and the live chat or emails always get you the same answer: you'll have to call their support hotline.

Granted it's toll free iirc and they were usually pretty quick, but... I just don't want to have to talk to a human if it's some issue that just requires them to click a button in their system.

True, customer support is very bad. I called because I wanted to add another domain to my plan (they have unlimited domains and unlimited accounts for email how awesome is that), and instead of telling me what buttons to press she proceeded to tell me what DNS is.

This discussion has been closed.