Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server ISO with VirtIO drivers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server ISO with VirtIO drivers

2»

Comments

• @MikeA @corbpie You guys seem knowledgable in this area, I'm running into an issue.

I'm mounting the custom iso into Vultr and waiting quite a while, than I click "view console" at which point I see the server console window which says "Booting from DVD" and nothing happens, the Windows installation area does not come up.

I assumed the pre-load had already occured and I had to remove the iso, so I did that, yet this time it says "custom os selected. please mount iso via control panel or use ipxe network to boot".

what step am I missing?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@kerouac said:
    @MikeA @corbpie You guys seem knowledgable in this area, I'm running into an issue.

I'm mounting the custom iso into Vultr and waiting quite a while, than I click "view console" at which point I see the server console window which says "Booting from DVD" and nothing happens, the Windows installation area does not come up.

I assumed the pre-load had already occured and I had to remove the iso, so I did that, yet this time it says "custom os selected. please mount iso via control panel or use ipxe network to boot".

what step am I missing?

I wouldn't know, sounds like an issue with their remote ISO loading system.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

If the connection between the server and the location where the iso is loaded from, it will take some time. A really long time.

@mikho said:
    If the connection between the server and the location where the iso is loaded from, it will take some time. A really long time.

Shouldn't be the problem if he's using mine, unless he's in one of their Asia locations. Just ran a few tests and they were almost all able to max out the port.

@MikeA said:

@mikho said:

Shouldn't be the problem if he's using mine, unless he's in one of their Asia locations. Just ran a few tests and they were almost all able to max out the port.

I’ve seen it happen, not with Vultr as I have nothing with them but other providers and dedicated servers.

@kerouac said:

How long is ”quite a while”?

@mikho said:

@MikeA said:

@mikho said:

I’ve seen it happen, not with Vultr as I have nothing with them but other providers and dedicated servers.

Yeah, definitely. Speeds are fine but it is probably the issue, he should really just contact them and ask.

• @mikho said:
    How long is ”quite a while”?

i tried 15 minutes, 2 hours and 16 hours on three different iterations.

@MikeA i'm in vultr european location

i decided to not wait almost at all, and just unmounted and remounted, just waited for the yellow notification about "iso may still be loading" to disappear from vultr interface and went right in, and enlarged the console browser window and saw loading bar of windows at the very bottom. it looks like things are working out i just started the installation.

it seems i waited too much i guess

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

have you tried another iso?

@kerouac said:
    and saw loading bar of windows at the very bottom. it looks like things are working out i just started the installation.

so it works now?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 2018

@kerouac said:

For me, the remote iso upload took around 10-15 minutes. Make sure the url link should end with .iso.

Are you downloading the iso from Microsoft or MSDN direct link?

Please make sure that you are using Microsoft enterprise operating system. Using desktop OS are NOT permitted on VPS.

• @MikeA said:

@kerouac said:
    and saw loading bar of windows at the very bottom. it looks like things are working out i just started the installation.

so it works now?

yep it works. thank you for your help

• my venture into the windows server environment started out pretty rockily :)) a lot of confusing stuff about licensing etc too. some notification comes up about remote desktop licensing, and reading up on it they talk about buying something called CALs? it seems i do not need this if there will not be more than one user using remote desktop. since i will only use it with single user, that is, administrator, it seems i don't need these "CAL"s, right? but, do i still need to take action regarding this "remote desktop will stop working after 119 days" type of warning? will it stop working for the single user, that is, Administrator, as well?

• Hello,

I wonder if you have the remote desktop services role installed which is complaining about the licensing.

casualjoe said: remote desktop services role installed

remove this. You don't need it

• @mikho said:

i do have it installed. do i not need it to connect to my server using the RDP client on my windows home pc?

@kerouac said:

@mikho said:

i do have it installed. do i not need it to connect to my server using the RDP client on my windows home pc?

Not if you connect using a administrator account. The username doesn’t have to be ”administrator”.
    Without Remote Desktop Service only 2 simultanious connections are allowed. Both need to be administrators.

Thanked by 1kerouac