Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server ISO with VirtIO drivers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server ISO with VirtIO drivers

kerouackerouac Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

Hello,
I'm trying to install Windows on Vultr but because my home connection is only 2Mbps up, it's taking forever to upload a Windows Server iso slipstreamed with the VirtIO drivers. Can anyone hook me up with a link? (Preferrably Server 2016 Standard) Thanks.

Here is a proof of ownership for the moderators who locked my previous discussion.
https://imgur.com/a/UtEiTlz

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

I'll leave it to other mods to decide how to handle this but it still looks iffy to me. The first thing I'd try though is running md5sum and sha256sum on the iso that you have, and pasting the checksums into a search engine.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

Man, this dude keeps doing this.

It's time to ban him. He doesn't listen.

I am also pretty sure he has more than one account here.

• irmirm Member
    edited April 2018

spin up a windows server on vultr, rdp in, grab the iso, put the virtio drivers on it, and then upload it.

it's what i do every time i need a windows iso for vultr and shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes if you know where to get everything already.

• @deank said:

jesus christ who do you think you are? i'm a well-known and veteran user here! i exchanged messages with @MasonR before reposting this!

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

A veteran user asking this? Seriously?

Right back at you, who do you think you are?

• @irm said:
    spin up a windows server on vultr,

you can only spin up a windows server on vultr by paying the license fee for windows. if you want to bring your own license (hence the effort here) you have to do it this way, but my home connection is shit.

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited April 2018

@deank said:
    A veteran user asking this? Seriously?

you can ask your beloved admins to check my sign up date and my previous discussions dating back years

• irmirm Member

kerouac said: you can only spin up a windows server on vultr by paying the license fee for windows. if you want to bring your own license (hence the effort here) you have to do it this way, but my home connection is shit.

yeah i know... it'll cost you 0.003cents.

just build your windows iso on it, upload it to vultr from it, then delete it. its faster than waiting for someone on here to do it for you if you know what you're doing.

• @willie said:
    I'll leave it to other mods to decide how to handle this but it still looks iffy to me. The first thing I'd try though is running md5sum and sha256sum on the iso that you have, and pasting the checksums into a search engine.

i don't understand what you're saying?!

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

As long as he keeps black hat related stuff out of the post, it's fine. He cleared it with me via PM before reposting. Keep discussion on topic, please.

Thanked by 1willie
  • kerouackerouac Member
    edited April 2018

@irm said:

kerouac said: you can only spin up a windows server on vultr by paying the license fee for windows. if you want to bring your own license (hence the effort here) you have to do it this way, but my home connection is shit.

yeah i know... it'll cost you 0.003cents.

just build your windows iso on it, upload it to vultr from it, then delete it. its faster than waiting for someone on here to do it for you if you know what you're doing.

whoa whoa whoa! will they calculate the license cost hourly as well? I assumed they would directly charge 16usd since once you select Windows options from the existing menu, it just says 16usd/month on the dropdown

• kerouac said: i don't understand what you're saying?!

1. md5sum windows.iso (whatever file you have). You get a hex number like 97d6e16baa5e06a576f1755f0826b90b which is a checksum of the file.

2. Paste the checksum into google to see if it shows up on the interwebs someplace. That may lead to a copy of the file.

I don't use windows and don't know the situation with server isos. I know that with at least some windows isos, microsoft doesn't try to stop copies from circulating, but instead require a license key to do an install.

• irmirm Member

kerouac said: whoa whoa whoa! will they calculate the license cost hourly as well? I assumed they would directly charge 16usd since once you select Windows options from the existing menu, they it says 16usd/month on the dropdown

everything is hourly. ive done it like this probably 10+ times when i've needed to setup a windows iso with virtio drivers.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • @irm said:

kerouac said: whoa whoa whoa! will they calculate the license cost hourly as well? I assumed they would directly charge 16usd since once you select Windows options from the existing menu, they it says 16usd/month on the dropdown

everything is hourly. ive done it like this probably 10+ times when i've needed to setup a windows iso with virtio drivers.

this makes absolute sense then! thank you for the heads up!

• irmirm Member
    edited April 2018

@willie said:

kerouac said: i don't understand what you're saying?!

1. md5sum windows.iso (whatever file you have). You get a hex number like 97d6e16baa5e06a576f1755f0826b90b which is a checksum of the file.

2. Paste the checksum into google to see if it shows up on the interwebs someplace. That may lead to a copy of the file.

I don't use windows and don't know the situation with server isos. I know that with at least some windows isos, microsoft doesn't try to stop copies from circulating, but instead require a license key to do an install.

wont work.

the ISO he wants would be manually modified by an individual producing a different md5/checksum for every copy.

Thanked by 1willie
  • irmirm Member
    edited April 2018

deank said: A veteran user asking this? Seriously?

Right back at you, who do you think you are?

whys this shit bother you honestly?

so many triggered people on this forum crying and complaining about other peoples request. if you dont feel like helping then dont and if you feel the thread is breaking the rules then flag it and move on.

it seems like almost every thread on here more often than not devolves into people either getting trolled or not having their questions answered because someone else wants to play LET police.

• @irm said:
    play LET police.

thank you for pointing it out! i am still feeling uneasy about this

@deank said:

this is like torch and pitchfork crowd behaviour, and i was extremely irritated and saddened.

• @kerouac said:
    whoa whoa whoa! will they calculate the license cost hourly as well? I assumed they would directly charge 16usd since once you select Windows options from the existing menu, it just says 16usd/month on the dropdown

You can use amazon light sail windows instance ($10 per month charged hourly) to setup your Windows iso with VirtIO drivers.

This should not take more than couple of hours.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • @dev_vps said:

@kerouac said:

You can use amazon light sail windows instance ($10 per month charged hourly) to setup your Windows iso with VirtIO drivers.

This should not take more than couple of hours.

I've been a bit away from the industry, when did this come out? I guess amazon is finally catering to those of us who are frightened by "hourly" rates :)). I'm probably going to use vultr's own hourly rates to accomplish this but thank you for the suggestion.

• irmirm Member
    edited April 2018

kerouac said: this is like torch and pitchfork crowd behaviour, and i was extremely irritated and saddened.

for some reason that sort of behavior seems to be encouraged here.

i used to participate and post more and just sort of stopped because every thread is either full of trolls who no matter what the question is will just pummel a thread starter with sarcasm and bullshit or people who want to be junior LET moderators who dont even know the rules they
    themselves want to enforce.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

link removed, if you still need PM me

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • Ban him, please.

• @kerouac said:

I've been a bit away from the industry, when did this come out? .....

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2016/11/introducing-amazon-lightsail/

• DraftDraft Member

@kerouac can you give me the tutorial that you used? and please share your iso when your finished uploading it. Thanks...

• DraftDraft Member

@kerouac if you want too i can lend you some windows server vps from vultr just make sure to take care of my vps and share your iso.

• @Draft dude cmon. Its not hard to do what OP is wanting to achieve

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 2018

@Draft said:
    @kerouac can you give me the tutorial that you used? and please share your iso when your finished uploading it. Thanks...

Pretty easy steps -

https://www.vultr.com/docs/windows-custom-iso-with-virtio-drivers

• DraftDraft Member
    edited April 2018

@corbpie I just want to help him.

• DraftDraft Member

@dev_vps thanks, man!

• @corbpie said:
    @Draft dude cmon. Its not hard to do what OP is wanting to achieve

@corbpie do you own "corbpie.com"?

I had already found the below link in which a slipstreamed iso is available.

https://write.corbpie.com/how-to-upload-and-setup-windows-server-2012r2-custom-iso-with-vultr/

@Draft I have two isos available, one is from above website, and one was shared and removed by @MikeA if you need perhaps pm him.