Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sparkpost, Send Grid or SES
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sparkpost, Send Grid or SES

Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep
edited April 2018 in General

Hey guys,

I've spent the past 3 days looking at the best options for email delivery.

Any recommendations out of the 3? I've already tried MailCheap but I'm still having issues delivering to Outlook addresses (goes straight into SPAM).

Currently sending around 30k a month.

Cheers

Comments

• Amazon SES.

Works great and it will integrate with existing SMTP infrastructures just fine.

• Jamie_DreamITJamie_DreamIT Member, Host Rep

Works great and it will integrate with existing SMTP infrastructures just fine.

I tried SES but emails to Outlook went to SPAM, not sure if it's due to the shared IP's. Should I get a dedicated IP?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

Sparkpost, hands down. Have control over 3 different accounts for different deployments. Never had an issue.

Only have a dedicated IP on one only for whitelisting on some picky corporate environments.

Sparkpost, hands down. Have control over 3 different accounts for different deployments. Never had an issue.

Only have a dedicated IP on one only for whitelisting on some picky corporate environments.

No issues with the non-dedicated IP accounts? Curious to try with a dedicated IP however not really keen to deal with the initial bounces while the reputation is building.

I like SendGrid's automatic IP warmup feature through.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Jamie_DreamIT said:

No issues with the non-dedicated IP accounts? Curious to try with a dedicated IP however not really keen to deal with the initial bounces while the reputation is building.

I like SendGrid's automatic IP warmup feature through.

No issues with the shared. Depending on what you're sending and how many emails you're actually sending warming up the IPs doesn't actually take that long.

• Been using SendGrid here since 2016 and never had any issues with deliverability.

• imokimok Member

I'm using Sendgrid without issues. Mailchannels is another option.

trewq said: No issues with the shared. Depending on what you're sending and how many emails you're actually sending warming up the IPs doesn't actually take that long.

Purely transactional. About 30k per month at the moment. Just need something that is reliable

Been using SendGrid here since 2016 and never had any issues with deliverability.

You guys using the shared IP or dedicated IP?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited April 2018

Dedicated IPs aren't all they're cracked up to be for small senders. Postmark, probably the best transactional email provider when it comes to deliverability, stopped offering them to everyone except super high-volume customers a few years ago and their explanation is worth a read: https://postmarkapp.com/blog/the-false-promises-of-dedicated-ips

• ZerpyZerpy Member

I had SendGrid - was fine until the time SendGrid got blacklisted and email delivery went bad for the shared pool I was in - their support was simply: "Ya, it can take a few weeks, but we advise you to buy a dedicated IP" (For 2k emails a month :') )

After that I left them, went directly to SES and delivery has been fine, with a few hiccups due to temporary listening - however, I've yet to find a provider that has perfect delivery constantly :-) But I learned to deal with cases like that :-D

Dylan said: Dedicated IPs aren't all they're cracked up to be for small senders.

Zerpy said: After that I left them, went directly to SES and delivery has been fine

Hmm yeah fair enough. Only issue I tested SES last night, worked fine but for Outlook went straight to spam.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

amazon ses is best to use in our case and highest delivery rates and recommend for all .
    sparkpost is marked as spam in many email providers
    Send Grid was unable to pass their initial setup or I lost interest in them due to love of amazon ses

Jamie_DreamIT said: Outlook went straight to spam

outlook marks spam most emails :(

Thanked by 1trewq

amazon ses is best to use in our case

Thoughts on Post Mark?

• @Jamie_DreamIT said:

Been using SendGrid here since 2016 and never had any issues with deliverability.

You guys using the shared IP or dedicated IP?

I'd need to double check but I'm pretty sure it's the shared, I certainly don't subscribe or pay for a dedicated IP so don't think we'll have one.

Jamie_DreamIT said: Thoughts on Post Mark?

have not test yet , we have tested mailhgun which caused delivery issues after one year of use .
    have you setup spf,dkim and other setup with amazon ses ? we have highest delivery rates with them in our tests. You can ignore outlook results for now , it takes sometime to get trusted by them .

hostdare said: spf,dkim and other setup with amazon ses ?

Yeah was all setup. Might just need to wait for Outlook to start trusting us

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Jamie_DreamIT said:

hostdare said: spf,dkim and other setup with amazon ses ?

Yeah was all setup. Might just need to wait for Outlook to start trusting us

You can join the outlook SNDS program and contact Microsoft using the Sender Information for Outlook.com Delivery form as this way you can fix the issue with your email delivery.

Thanked by 2hostdare eva2000
  • I'd recommend SparkPost. SendGrid used to go to junk box randomly for me and they had a lot of IP reputation issues when I used them a while back

mxroute.io is also an option but not one I've used personally

Thanked by 1MikePT

sparkpost was going to spam or fully blocked/bounced for some email providers when I used .

• atomiatomi Member

I've been using Sendgrid for a while sending around 1k emails monthly and worked fine

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2018

ses is best.. i know a few reports of sparkpost terminating accounts for spam and user moving to ses and having no issues. So with sparkpost your need to worry more about your account being terminated than just spam.

FYI, sparkpost has a list of domains that are blacklisted so even if your email sending domains are clean, but the blacklisted domain extension is listed in their internal blacklist - it can still be reported/seen as spam if there is a mere mention of the domain in the email body content i.e. .tk extension IIRC

Jamie_DreamIT said: I've already tried MailCheap but I'm still having issues delivering to Outlook addresses (goes straight into SPAM).

Make sure you have valid SPF, DKIM and DMARC entries for your sending emails and domains. Microsoft usually require all 3. Also check domains mentioned in email body to make sure those are not blacklisted

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@eva2000 said:
    Make sure you have valid SPF, DKIM and DMARC entries for your sending emails and domains. Microsoft usually require all 3. Also check domains mentioned in email body to make sure those are not blacklisted

Microsoft doesn't require all 3 - I've rather good delivery with SPF only

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited April 2018

having all 3 definitely is better though https://help.returnpath.com/hc/en-us/articles/224901988-Microsoft-Outlook-com-and-Hotmail-troubleshooting-support-information

Not employing Email Authentication: Authenticating your email helps to prevent domain spoofing or fradulent use of your domain.

• Sender Policy Framework (SPF): Ensure your sending domain has an SPF record with all of your sending IP addresses.
    • Domainkeys Identified Mail (DKIM): Ensure there are no errors when signing your email messages with DKIM. Also, Microsoft sometimes makes slight modifications to content which can break DKIM. Ensure the c=tag in the DKIM signature is set to relaxed/relaxed. It allows for a little more tolerance for minor modifications to both the header and body of the message so the DKIM verification process is less likely to fail.
    • Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance (DMARC): Microsoft may not accept email from senders who fail DMARC. Work towards publishing a DMARC record for your sending domain with a p=reject policy to help block unauthorized email using your domain.

also other clues https://postmaster.live.com/pm/troubleshooting.aspx

Thanked by 1ferri
  • Are any of these services in Europe? With the new GDPR, personal data transfer outside EU (especially US) gets a bit tricky in some situations.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SendGrid is complete trash, I think I have banned them by now. Tons of "ICO" spam and they never react to abuse.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@zormal said:
    Are any of these services in Europe? With the new GDPR, personal data transfer outside EU (especially US) gets a bit tricky in some situations.

SendGrid and Sparkpost are both GDPR compliant.

• Compliant, yes, but... as far as I understand the regulations, one needs to disclose transfer or personal data (including emails) to countries outside EU.

When the registry contains otherwise sensitive information, it's bad for PR to have to tell people we're transferring some personal data (though not the sensitive part) to a country that's considered insecure by EU...

Not sure if this is a real problem or not, but it has come up.

• i dont use that much, currently 5k/m email for personal. but im happy using mailgun.

Thanked by 1Dormeo