Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Russia bans Google Cloud, Amazon, Azure, Digital Ocean, Online.net, Hetzner, OVH, others

Comments

• KrisKris Member

inb4

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@desperand said:
    In very bad times we living in.

You are Russian?

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited April 2018

@Master_Bo said:

@desperand said:
    I think they (Russians) are preparing for a great war, at least with Ukraine in summer 2018 (after few months) or in 2019 when they will have collapse with their economy because of sanctions. [...]

"You wish".

You should definitely see how we live here, with your own eyes. Perhaps that could help you to treat media lies exactly as one should: ignore.

I live in a 75km zone around conflict where is a hot war. I see everyday tanks and different very powerful weapons. I LIVING HERE IN THIS FUCKING HELL, AND I KNOW ABOUT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 2018

@nonissue said:

@asterisk14 said:
    Look at the world map from 1980 and now - Russian territory has shrunk massively. Have a look at NATO over the same period, you'll notice that NATO territory has expanded almost as much as Russian territory shrunk.

Russian territory has shrunk massively since 1980? Do you mean the Soviet Union? It dissolved. Are you arguing that the territory of the Russian Federation has shrunk since the dissolution of the Soviet Union? If so, I'd love to see maps documenting that.

I didn't say Russian Federation, I said Russian territory meaning territory under Russian control. Russian territory has shrunk massively since 1980's.

Your post history is littered with anti-Western sentiment and you commonly reference the Daily Mail to support your arguments. There are absolutely valid criticisms you could levy against Western governments and their foreign policies, but the follow statement is patently absurd in a thread discussing concrete, fact-based, widespread censorship by the Russian government:

Which country is the real threat to your life, liberty, property. Not China, Iran or Russia.

Depends on where you're based, if you're white, christian in europe then you're OK. If you're black or brown and live somewhere where oil is present then FUKUS (France, UK, US) may send you some "humanitarian aid" in the form of 1 ton supersonic high explosives. China, Iran and Russia are not dispensing such "aid".

@Master_Bo said:

@jsg said:
    Amazing, just amazing how things can get totally blown up out of proportion.

Another thing - the formal reason to commence blocking Telegram was the service' refusal to pass encryption keys to federal agencies. That includes end-to-end encryption (no service providing end-to-end encryption can pass such keys, since it has no access to them - so this is a good means to block any service using end-to-end encryption).

I'm sure Telegram has a way to access the messages/data being transmitted, same as Whatsapp which also claims to be end-to-end encryption but can intercept data, a guy discovered this about Whatsapp and reported it as a "bug", but they refused to fix it as they (and CIA/NSA) would not be able to spy on users if they fixed it.

@desperand said:
    I think they (Russians) are preparing for a great war, at least with Ukraine in summer 2018 (after few months) or in 2019 when they will have collapse with their economy because of sanctions.

If they wanted to do this, they would have done it already. The US/UK toppling of Ukraine's government was probably a trap for Russia to invade Ukraine and they could have citing "humanitarian reasons" to protect the Russian-speaking citizens, but the Russian's didn't fall for it. The USA/UK did this trap to Russia before in Afghanistan and they learnt from the experience.

• @asterisk14 said: a guy discovered this about Whatsapp and reported it as a "bug"

Do you have a reference to this? Should make for some very interesting reading.

• @saibal said:
    Do you have a reference to this? Should make for some very interesting reading.

With a fair number of these services, there is a potential for the company to exploit messaging groups to secretly monitor the conversations:

https://www.wired.com/story/whatsapp-security-flaws-encryption-group-chats/

• @asterisk14 said:

@Master_Bo said:

I'm sure Telegram has a way to access the messages/data being transmitted, same as Whatsapp which also claims to be end-to-end encryption but can intercept data, a guy discovered this about Whatsapp and reported it as a "bug", but they refused to fix it as they (and CIA/NSA) would not be able to spy on users if they fixed it.

The mentioned Telegram clients' source code is all open source. There's no need for any assumptions - just check, whether or not it's end-to-end encrypted.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @desperand said:
    I live in a 75km zone around conflict where is a hot war. I see everyday tanks and different very powerful weapons. I LIVING HERE IN THIS FUCKING HELL, AND I KNOW ABOUT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Does all the other Russia, all the plans of its government etc etc etc is plainly and clearly visible from that spot? I have strong doubts.

Provided you are telling the truth about your location, I can only notice your opinion is biased, that's all.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited April 2018

Sounds like if he is in the middle of it, it's more than just a simple opinion.

Most of us don't want Russia in Crimea. But for some reason people think we are a small group. In Sevastopol, amongst my contacts, 60% want Russia. In Simferopol and other cities, it's only about 30% that want Russia. These arent opinions, but facts. However, as u know, the media has lied and given percentages much much higher.

Fact is Russia is involved in places where people dont want them. (this is true for the US as well). People who are actually living in these areas should speak up and be encouraged to. So people dont blindly follow MSM or the Kremlin stories.

• @kendid said:
    Fact is Russia is involved in places where people dont want them. (this is true for the US as well). People who are actually living in these areas should speak up and be encouraged to. So people dont blindly follow MSM or the Kremlin stories.

FYI, I do not pay attention to any media. They all lie, regardless of location. The stories from actual people have more weight, talking of reliability.

I would also like to read about facts and actual events, and would encourage the mentioned person to do so, but it will never change the fact that their opinion is biased. That's perfectly understandable.

Thanked by 1mikei
  • @rm_ said:

Falzo said: I have about five VMs across hetzner,aruba,ovh and leaseweb that are used as VPN by russian customers for quite a while.

guess I am lucky big time as for now none of them are on subnets in that list.

OVH has probably hundreds of /16s, but they blocked exactly the one with both of my dedis, and none of any other OVH subnets. :D

Man I am. Equally fucked up I have multiple dedicated with hetzner and most of my clients from Russia are on one of them and that dedi falls into the banned subnet.... I almost lost my client base

• Also: internally, Roskomsvoboda ("Roscom Freedom", site in Russian) launches legal actions against the Internet watchdog, see their latest post.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Thanks, I had a good laugh.

"This is one in a series of attacks on people’s fundamental rights to privacy and freedom of expression in Russia."

I'm the first one to love privacy and freedom of expression. Unfortunately you seem to ignore quite exactly the same problem in other countries where being eavesdropped on by nsa gchq and others is a severe problem too.

"... Agora International has argued in court on behalf of Telegram that accessing the messages of people in Russia has no legal or constitutional basis."

That must be a joke. How about "serial killer xyz has argued in court that his victims were not worth living anyway"? Or how about "xyz has argued in court that he is an extraterrestrian diplomat and hence must enjoy immunity"? Does "arguing it in court" somehow make assertions magically true?

And again, EVERY country that is capable to do so does spy on communications as best they can because a state is responsible for the security of its citizens. To ask for backdoors, general keys or the like is a perfectly normal step for a government. Yes, that's regrettable and ugly but so are dozens or hundreds of dead victims of terror attacks.

Citizens of any country have BOTH rights, the right to privacy and the right to not be killed by terrorists. Hence EVERY country must find some kind of compromise.

About the only thing worthy of criticism I see here is that Russia reacts so bluntly. But I also see that the international companies shitting on their official requests doesn't leave the russian authorities many options. Interestingly quite some of those same companies are well known not to care shit about users rights and privacy when that stands in the way of monetizing them ...

• sighsigh Member

Won't be surprised if people that praise Putin's regime here also praise Jinping's. Wondering if you really would enjoy living under full authoritarian life, especially if it's the deceiving, badly executing kind.

@sigh Staying, looking and arguing reasonably is NOT equal to "praising Putins or Jinpings regime". It is a FACT that many countries eavesdrop on their citizens and its the result of governments needing to find a compromise between freedom and security.

If you really want to judge then you will need to see what really matters in practical terms. Things like "who can see what?", "Are unbiased judges involved?", "How and how long are those data stored?", "are the citizens informed about their communications having been eavesdropped after say 3 months?", "is their use strictly limited to a given context or can the police use them any way they like?", "is the government open about its collecting data or do they do it secretly?", etc.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, Apparently Zare moved to US, no idea if thats related or they got soldTM.

• sighsigh Member

@jsg World is not perfect. Every government is doing any kind of misdeed against it's people, principles to keep the authority, power and control. Difference is some may do it better or worse, subtle or blunt, a few or a lot. It is arguable that Russia's method is on the better side, especially with this matter. Kremlin lie a lot, it doesn't care for benefits of it's people, while also being attacked by the West's loud lies (Funny that US screams Russia! when something bad happens every time). Being underdeveloped with very few exports and barely holding economics doesn't help with anything.
    Coming back to the technology side of privacy, Russia doesn't know how to fight something they have no control, besides doing regulations and blocks (this is the result of failing to gain control in the first place). I hope they don't think it's working (they probably do), because this barely gives solutions to the deceiving 'cause'.
    It's true that almost any company do not care for users rights in privacy (and no one is going to be assured if they state that they do) when money and power is involved. I doubt any saint government would not have any methods to spy on everyone. Instant communication and Information control is just so valuable. It's a good idea to not trust any of them, but you probably know who you would trust much less than usual, basing on the true current state of things and the past.
    Anyway, this is just my small opinion of a person trying to achieve a decent part of life !

@sigh said:
    It is arguable that Russia's method is on the better side,

Please note that that was no my point. I don't have enough answers to the kind of relevant questions I mentioned before to judge Russia or most other countries.

Kremlin lie a lot,

Evidence?

And: Tell me a country whose politicians and government don't lie...

Coming back to the technology side of privacy, Russia doesn't know how to fight something they have no control, besides doing regulations and blocks (this is the result of failing to gain control in the first place).

Frankly, who really knows and really has control? The Americans seem to have somewhat more control because they can use their influence and create a lot of pressure on others. But still they couldn't stop Snowden and were allegedly hacked by half the world. Other powerful countries just buy eavesdropping gear or services.

I think the real point is that Russia doesn't accept a "fuck you!" and plays it tough now. Maybe that's clumsy, but if they didn't go hard against the telegram guys next week everybody would laugh at them and say "fuck you! We shit on your laws". The way they handle it will at least pay off in one way. The next guy will think twice.

And don't you think that telegram doesn't pay a price anyway. I think it's like with security. Talk is cheap. Everybody says "security is important" but very very few actually do more than talking or buying some 29$ snake-oil. Similarly everybody is oh so angry and oh so pro privacy with words. But when their messenger doesn't work they download another one that works.

• kendidkendid Veteran
    edited April 2018

@jsg said:

Evidence?

Haha, you ask for evidence and then use a whataboutism to justify the lying that Russia does!

This is a favorite of mine, and hits close to home. If you recall, during the Russian invasion of Crimea, Putin declared it never really belonged to Ukraine in the first place. AND that Russia came to protect the ethnic Russians because of the oppression they face. (as a Russian speaker, there was none of this oppression)

https://www.rferl.org/a/putin-crimea-ukraine/26942862.html

• kendidkendid Veteran

The weird part is - this is going to backfire on Russia. With Slavic people (Russian/Ukrainian) you tell them they can't have something - it's just a challenge put out there for them! Typical households are going to be learning about VPN's and how to circumvent internet restrictions. It happened in Crimea when sanctions were applied, and now it's going to happen in the rest of Russia.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • sighsigh Member

I think the real point is that Russia doesn't accept a "fuck you!" and plays it tough now. Maybe that's clumsy, but if they didn't go hard against the telegram guys next week everybody would laugh at them and say "fuck you! We shit on your laws". The way they handle it will at least pay off in one way. The next guy will think twice.

Russia usually acts tough at the bad side of things. In the end everyone's opinion is the same, who would be scared of a nation that can't handle their own shit properly, besides just acting tough to everyone. Just yet another attempt at self isolation.

Evidence?

>

Evidence for what? That Russia is a democratic country and values citizen's rights, and has appropriate law to support it? That there's zero propaganda, corruption, agitation? That the population fully approves Putin, not only by funny useless votes, but by production, creation, innovation? Believe, people, believe. Such things could exist if there were no usurpers.

And don't you think that telegram doesn't pay a price anyway. I think it's like with security. Talk is cheap. Everybody says "security is important" but very very few actually do more than talking or buying some 29$ snake-oil. Similarly everybody is oh so angry and oh so pro privacy with words. But when their messenger doesn't work they download another one that works.

Until the fact that it works, will work, and instead, enterprises will suffer with some issues. Complete success! :P

• @jsg said:

Thanks, I had a good laugh.

"This is one in a series of attacks on people’s fundamental rights to privacy and freedom of expression in Russia."

I'm the first one to love privacy and freedom of expression. Unfortunately you seem to ignore quite exactly the same problem in other countries where being eavesdropped on by nsa gchq and others is a severe problem too.

There are a litany of logical and rhetorical fallacies in this one point. The rest of your posts/comments are also rife with false equivalencies, slippery slope arguments, and straw men. It's actually impressive how many you manage to cram in.

@kendid said:
    Haha, you ask for evidence and then use a whataboutism to justify the lying that Russia does!

No. I didn't justify Russias lying but I doubted that they lie more or worse than others.

@sigh said:
    [summarized] Russia is EVIL!!!!!

Reminds me of the anti-trump witchhunt. Lots of echo chamber noise but very poor on the side of evidence.

Please note that I'm not praising Russia nor am I a Trump fan. What I do though is doubting the anti-Russia, anti-Trump, anti-whatever Hysteria.

I guess Russia has its good sides as well as its bad sides. Just like any other country. High corruption levels seem to be an example for Russias bad sides.

Until the fact that it works, will work, and instead, enterprises will suffer with some issues. Complete success! :P

I don't think so, that's not how people work. Once they left something they won't return easily if the replacement gives them what they need. Besides telegram isn't exactly paradise. There are crypto issues and major parts of the software are closed source.

The decisive point though is that telegram is closely linked to terrorism. The russian "fbi" breaks up terror cells almost every week and almost always mobile phones with telegram are found. That's why their government has started the telegram fight and that's why Russia will pull through. The Russians had more than enough victims killed by terrorists and they like any reasonable state will go to the end with telegram because for them it's about fighting terrorism.

Thanked by 1default
  • omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

@Master_Bo said:

@kendid said:

FYI, I do not pay attention to any media. They all lie, regardless of location. The stories from actual people have more weight, talking of reliability.

I would also like to read about facts and actual events, and would encourage the mentioned person to do so, but it will never change the fact that their opinion is biased. That's perfectly understandable.

How you sure that it's real story from real people? I'm sure both side write fake 'real' story.
    For exemple, you have no way to know if kendid live in ukraine at all.
    and real stories tend to be pivot toward whatever control that region, because surely parties will punish writer of publish stories what are not match with their side.

• @omelas said:
    How you sure that it's real story from real people?

I can only be sure if I know that person myself, personally. This is the only reliable case.

All other cases assume higher or lower amount of trust. Until proven otherwise, I prefer to remain skeptical with respect to any statement, that cannot be proven by many reliable enough references.

• @Master_Bo said:

@omelas said:
    How you sure that it's real story from real people?

I can only be sure if I know that person myself, personally. This is the only reliable case.

All other cases assume higher or lower amount of trust. Until proven otherwise, I prefer to remain skeptical with respect to any statement, that cannot be proven by many reliable enough references.

I don't get how you can believe any statement. you won't be able to get "reliable enough references" as you did't trusted any source to be trusted as references to begin with.

• @omelas said:
    I don't get how you can believe any statement. you won't be able to get "reliable enough references" as you did't trusted any source to be trusted as references to begin with.

My own experience, multitude of my friends and colleagues, whom I know good enough to trust at least some of their statements. Are you still sure I "didn't trusted any source"?

Come on, I am not an extreme type of skeptic that would doubt every possible statement.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

@Master_Bo said:

@omelas said:

My own experience, multitude of my friends and colleagues, whom I know good enough to trust at least some of their statements. Are you still sure I "didn't trusted any source"?

Come on, I am not an extreme type of skeptic that would doubt every possible statement.

more like 'you won't sure if ,well, Alaska or Chernobyl actually exist as your friends aren't likely to be been there' thing :P

• @omelas said:

more like 'you won't sure if ,well, Alaska or Chernobyl actually exist as your friends aren't likely to be been there' thing :P

Re-read my previous response, it contains the answer. Anyway, it's already far from the original subject.