Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Flash Sale KS-4C (2017) €12.99 Now! - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Flash Sale KS-4C (2017) €12.99 Now!

Comments

• @levnode said:
    You guys, you have made me rush and ordered 1. You also made me so tired to think what to use it for. Sigh.

LOL every use case I think of I realize I have another server idling that can do it better

• I really wish this was in Canada. Would be nice for some pet projects, but don't think I can justify this for the France location.

• Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 22

Well, nice though.

• Still a good deal for those looking for a Kimsufi, just not a smoking deal like the €9 KS-3C/4C last year (thanks to Vova1234).

Thanks @ninzo59 for being active here on LET and keeping us in the loop! I think all of us who understand Kimsufi's limitations (100Mbps, single disk, limited support, etc) appreciate that OVH offers this line.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • Was paying online.net 13EUR for a dedibox with a C2750 so this is a worthwhile upgrade.

• Online has a much better network though. KS boxes are capped at 100 Mbps.

• liaraliara Member

@saibal said:
    Online has a much better network though. KS boxes are capped at 100 Mbps.

Online's network is oversold and if you push their limited boxes too hard you'll get your nic hard capped at 100mbit anyway. Their cancellation system is also absolute shit and designed to prey on unsuspecting users.

• @liara said:

@saibal said:

Online's network is oversold and if you push their limited boxes too hard you'll get your nic hard capped at 100mbit anyway. Their cancellation system is also absolute shit and designed to prey on unsuspecting users.

Just about every VPS or dedicated server is oversold lol.

I used to wonder why Kimsufi had a 100mbit cap, but on a lot of 1gbit providers you may not even get 100mbit.

• liara said: Online's network is oversold and if you push their limited boxes too hard you'll get your nic hard capped at 100mbit anyway.

Yes, if you're paying peanuts and push the network to the max all the time you will be capped.

• I get the 100 mbits from my KS for real, while the 1gbps port on my Hetzner server is (for transatlantic traffic) usually more like 30-40 mbits.

• Hetzner's transatlantic traffic is crap. I did read somewhere on LET that some KS racks in BHS got upgraded to Gbit.

• @willie said:
    I get the 100 mbits from my KS for real, while the 1gbps port on my Hetzner server is (for transatlantic traffic) usually more like 30-40 mbits.

"Guaranteed bandwidth: 1 GBit/s"

...Yeah, guaranteed to the switch lol.

• YokedEgg said: Yeah, guaranteed to the switch lol.

Yes, but do you know of a provider that has excellent transatlantic speeds at LET pricing?

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@saibal said:

YokedEgg said: Yeah, guaranteed to the switch lol.

Yes, but do you know of a provider that has excellent transatlantic speeds at LET pricing?

Nope. Doesn't exist. Didn't say it did either, so I'm not sure what your getting at.

It's a common false marketing tactic, which I was giving props to OVH for setting realistic expectations.

• What I meant was that the transatlantic crossing slows down everyone. Willie is probably able to max out his 100 mbps from BHS. If you test from RBX or GRA you won't get the max speed from KS either.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @saibal said:
    What I meant was that the transatlantic crossing slows down everyone. Willie is probably able to max out his 100 mbps from BHS. If you test from RBX or GRA you won't get the max speed from KS either.

Yes, of course.

Even from BHS to your location in the United States you likely won't get the full port speed lol.

Although, I was directly referring to oversold networks at prices that clearly couldn't be guaranteed/dedicated bandwidth.

• @liara said:

@saibal said:

Their staff were pretty nice to me tho. I abused the network at the max speed for a few days straight and they still giving me warning until the next 24 hours. Then I managed to lower the bandwidth usage and not long after that they warned me again for abusing, again lol. They have been very kind to me. For the price I paid, I think it is reasonable.
    Also about the cancellation system they worked well for me. Never had problem with that. Just need to cancel early (before 20th I guess?).

• @YokedEgg said:

@liara said:

@saibal said:

I used to wonder why Kimsufi had a 100mbit cap, but on a lot of 1gbit providers you may not even get 100mbit.

Well there's a huge difference between overselling VPS vs dedicated servers and I'd argue that it's not really true at all. I have several Kimsufi / SYS servers and they always get AT LEAST what their stated network guarantee is.

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@nonissue said:

@YokedEgg said:

@liara said:

@saibal said:

Well there's a huge difference between overselling VPS vs dedicated servers and I'd argue that it's not really true at all. I have several Kimsufi / SYS servers and they always get AT LEAST what their stated network guarantee is.

Which is exactly what I said, or implied. The 100mbit limitation they impose is more realistic than a shared "dedicated/guaranteed" 1gbit, which you'll never actually receive.

But in regards to overselling, not really, both VPS and dedicated servers can have oversold networks.

• @YokedEgg said:

@nonissue said:

@YokedEgg said:

@liara said:

@saibal said:

Which is exactly what I said, or implied. The 100mbit limitation they impose is more realistic than a shared "dedicated/guaranteed" 1gbit, which you'll never actually receive.

But in regards to overselling, not really, both VPS and dedicated servers can have oversold networks.

Yah, I mean, I guess they CAN. Generally people use oversold to refer to a hosting provider cramming 30 users onto one box and then flipping it on LET as a "deal", I'd say that's much more common.

• @nonissue said:

@YokedEgg said:

@nonissue said:

@YokedEgg said:

@liara said:

@saibal said:

Yah, I mean, I guess they CAN. Generally people use oversold to refer to a hosting provider cramming 30 users onto one box and then flipping it on LET as a "deal", I'd say that's much more common.

I was specifically referring to network overselling. Pretty much the only form of overselling available for dedicated servers. VPS is more easily to be oversold in general, sure.

Thanked by 1nonissue
  • Oh okay, that's why I was a little confused at first! Got it now.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • vishvish Member

I doubt there will ever be any deals even close to the 9euro (now 10euro) bhs i5-3570s last year. although this is not a bad flash sale, it is rather lackluster considering most of the KS lineup used to be priced close to this 'flash' cost normally in the past.

sorry to sound like such a debbie downer, however, since 2016 when I signed up on these boards the deals have been rather flaccid.

i guess the only exception has been the polish i7 servers which were amazing but nowhere near the volume to make it accessible to the common joes like me who don't write ordering scripts or incessantly hit refresh on a web page for hours on end.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

saibal said: What I meant was that the transatlantic crossing slows down everyone. Willie is probably able to max out his 100 mbps from BHS. If you test from RBX or GRA you won't get the max speed from KS either.

I have KS servers in BHS and RBX. I'm able to max out the 100 mbit transatlantic in both directions.

vish said: I doubt there will ever be any deals even close to the 9euro (now 10euro) bhs i5-3570s last year.

Keep in mind, that was an i3-2130 sale where some people got lucky and found themselves with an i5 instead of the advertised i3. The current i5 for 13euro is as cheap as I've seen an advertised i5 get. I have one for 17 USD in BHS which is a tad higher. And I have an 8 euro KS-2E in RBX which leaves me in a slight upgrade dilemma.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@vish said: I doubt there will ever be any deals even close to the 9euro (now 10euro) bhs i5-3570s last year. although this is not a bad flash sale, it is rather lackluster considering most of the KS lineup used to be priced close to this 'flash' cost normally in the past.

I haven't followed KS pricing closely, but have they really raised prices for the same specs over the past two years? Based on what you say, it sounds like they have raised prices for the same specs only to lower them for special promotions.

Anyway, this promotion is very attractive, it seems to me (agreeing with @willie).

• angstrom said: but have they really raised prices for the same specs over the past two years?

No they have been getting lower. My 8 euro KS-2E from a couple years ago was 7 euro the 2 times they've run the promo since then. Similarly the KS-4C hasn't been this low in the past. There was that incident of the KS-3C promo where some of the buyers ended up getting KS-4C hardware at KS-3C promo prices, which is fantastic. But it was never an official offer, it was just what they did to fill the orders. So it doesn't exactly count as an intentional event. That said, if you got one, you did great.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@willie said:

angstrom said: but have they really raised prices for the same specs over the past two years?

No they have been getting lower. My 8 euro KS-2E from a couple years ago was 7 euro the 2 times they've run the promo since then. Similarly the KS-4C hasn't been this low in the past. There was that incident of the KS-3C promo where some of the buyers ended up getting KS-4C hardware at KS-3C promo prices, which is fantastic. But it was never an official offer, it was just what they did to fill the orders. So it doesn't exactly count as an intentional event. That said, if you got one, you did great.

You've confirmed in more detail what I thought. I didn't understand why people in this thread were complaining when this seems to be a great deal, but perhaps it's because of the setup fee, but hasn't KS always had a setup fee?

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

angstrom said: didn't understand why people in this thread were complaining when this seems to be a great deal, but perhaps it's because of the setup fee, but hasn't KS always had a setup fee?

It's because they want to see the KS-3C promo repeated and get KS-4C hardware again. Something similar happens in the online.net promos. People complain bitterly if they order something and get what they ordered. They wanted what they ordered to be out of stock so they would get a higher model for the same price instead. See for example:

vish said: I doubt there will ever be any deals even close to the 9euro (now 10euro) bhs i5-3570s last year.

There was never a 9 euro (now 10 euro) offer of that sort. It was an i3-2130 offer and some people ordered it and lucked into an i5-3570s. But that detail seems to have been forgotten. What's left is wanting back the promo where OVH was selling i5-3570s for 9 euro. Maybe it will happen again, who knows. But it's just luck.

Thanked by 2angstrom MasonR

@willie: [sigh] it seems that there's no low to LET expectations -- one can always expect more for less.

• @willie said: My 8 euro KS-2E from a couple years ago was 7 euro the 2 times they've run the promo since then.

Now after the €1 Anti DDoS hike, the KS-2E is at €8/monthly as well. They're very good machines for backups but not much else.

At current prices the KS-2E is €10/monthly (actually €9.99) but available at both GRA and RBX while the current promotion is for RBX only.

If one was going to buy a KS-2E today/soon, it's a no brainer to go for this deal as the value is significantly better.

And as you've pointed out, the previous deals have all been "upgrades" at the same price vs this one where it's guaranteed.