Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google launches free VPN service - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google launches free VPN service

Comments

• FHR said: Google develops privacy tools… They want to keep your private data all for themselves.

Couldn't agree more. They already have our contacts, files, emails, calendars, photos, etc.

• @yokowasis said:
    How does it differ with openvpn ?

It's a different VPN type software. It's easy to install (when it installs) and very easy to setup more/new users.

Haven't tested yet if it can be detected by DPI (OpenVPN can!), will test that soon.

• @yokowasis said:

@dergelbe said:
    It's free software, it's not a VPN service that you can buy/rent. You need to get a server to host it.

BTW, I tried to install it first on a Raspberry and it didn't work.

This is a proxy not a VPN. This is one way of many that it differs.

@r00t4bl3 said:

FHR said: Google develops privacy tools… They want to keep your private data all for themselves.

Couldn't agree more. They already have our contacts, files, emails, calendars, photos, etc.

This isn't some data harvesting operation by Google. It's simply an open source communication tool for a niche group.

@dergelbe said:

@yokowasis said:

It's a different VPN type software. It's easy to install (when it installs) and very easy to setup more/new users.

Haven't tested yet if it can be detected by DPI (OpenVPN can!), will test that soon.

Given that it's just a wrapper around Shadowsocks, i'd assume it would go unnoticed by the majority of DPI tools (including GFW).

• Also it appears the latest Windows Defender is detecting the proxy service in the Outline client as a trojan.

• @maldovia said:
    Given that it's just a wrapper around Shadowsocks, i'd assume it would go unnoticed by the majority of DPI tools (including GFW).

My meaning was that Shadowsocks can be detected by the GFW. Anyway, I will do an extensive long time test next time I'm in the GFW prison.

• can the server app be installed in windows in a firewalled environment like softether vpn azure?

• Sigh, i thought this a "service" too

okay, back to wireguard then

• Easiest way to setup proxy, WOW!

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited April 2018

Just an update: There are now Outline clients for MacOS and iOS >> https://getoutline.org

Did anyone here manage to install the Outline-Server on CentOS? Installation was flawless on Debian, but had plenty of obstacles on CentOS and gave up.

• seems like it uses opendns by default (at least on iOS). how can I change this? tried changing the server's DNS but client still uses opendns

• how can I create a server?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

MeMyselfandLinux said: Sigh, i thought this a "service" too

Why would you ever use it?

Why would you use a VPN service from a company thats soul business is to sell your browsing habits and everything else? Why would you now want to give them a complete tap on your full traffic?

Francisco

• @autovmnet said:
    how can I create a server?

It's explained in the manager. Get a Debian type distro. Didn't work for me on CentOS.

@Francisco said:
    Why would you ever use it?

Why would you use a VPN service from a company thats soul business is to sell your browsing habits and everything else?

There are many different occasions a VPN type service is useful. And no, it's not a service, it's software. You create the service on a server, or your own server.

• salakissalakis Member
    edited April 2018

Actually, the client looks quite neat, but it's wasting quite a lot of space in the user interface, so you need to scroll even with two or three different servers. Also, some kind of indication of total and session traffic in the client would be nice (like in Android Shadowsocks).

Besides that, it's 44MB on macOS compared to regular Shadowsocks with about 20MB. Seems kinda bloated for such a minimalistic approach.

One thing is really interesting though, on macOS it's working as a built-in VPN configuration, while ShadowsocksX-NG just opens a SOCKS proxy and changes proxy settings in System Preferences. Even SSH in Terminal goes through Shadowsocks by default. Not sure about performance, but this seems to be the more elegant way to do it.

The manager is a cool idea, but I'm not too fond of Docker (yet) - especially considering the implications with regards to OpenVZ, so I'll skip that part. The client works fine with non-default encryption methods on regular ss-libev servers anyways.

Edit: Ran some initial tests and performance seems to be worse. Throughput is lower than through SOCKS and CPU load is much much higher. Also ICMP doesn't work. I might post some more detailed results later.

• @salakis
    What OS you use? I use Debian 8-64 (VPS uses VMware). No problem at all. CentOS didn't work for me, gave up on it, Raspian also didn't work so far, might be related to ARM?

Performance isn't important for me, access to blocked sites is.

I will keep using the client. I also use Softether, V2Ray and ShadowsocksR. My aim is to find out if Outline can be detected and blocked, so far it works fine.

• @dergelbe said:
    @salakis
    What OS you use?

Ubuntu Server 16.04 (x64) on a KVM VPS for proper Docker Outline. I just assume that the fact that it uses Docker for all the fancy stuff wrapped around the Shadowsocks core can lead to issues on OpenVZ servers, while shadowsocks-libev can function without any issues in such environments.

Performance isn't important for me, access to blocked sites is.
    I will keep using the client. I also use Softether, V2Ray and ShadowsocksR. My aim is to find out if Outline can be detected and blocked, so far it works fine.

From what I understand at this point, it currently behaves just the same way like Shadowsocks (non-R) using chacha20-ietf-poly1305, so there shouldn't be a difference in terms of accessibility. The main advantage seems to be ease of use, especially for people with less experience with "computer stuff". Maybe also the fact that it provides a full VPN instead of a proxy on macOS, but so far it seems to be a double-edged sword due to CPU load and performance.

Otherwise, I was in Beijing in February and there were no issues with old school Shadowsocks using chacha20-ietf or even aes-128-cfb.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2018

talking about VPN.

https://www.vpn.sh/servers

almost all offline :/

lol! xD

• Anyone tried running this on a NAT VPS?

• Was anyone able to figure out which specific ports this thing uses? I know the github discussion talks about opening port 1024-65535 whic does not sound very smart...

• DylanDylan Member

@bashlyk said:
    Was anyone able to figure out which specific ports this thing uses? I know the github discussion talks about opening port 1024-65535 whic does not sound very smart...

You can't, at least not in advance. It selects a random unique port for each access key.

• dergelbedergelbe Member
    edited April 2018

@bashlyk said:
    Was anyone able to figure out which specific ports this thing uses?

You can.

You can run the installer.sh bash with an added '-x', then you will see what port it will install on. Or, edit the installer.sh and replace the ${SB_API_PORT} with the port your want.

However, if you add more users more ports are needed as every key uses one port (I guess)

Thanked by 1bashlyk
  • Just a little update. I setup a VPS just to test Outline.

Not to idle that server with just one app I installed easyengine.io on the same server and added a WP domain. Outline still work flawless.

I am a bit pro biased towards Centminmod, however Outline wants Debian/Ubuntu and seems not to run CentOS, so unfortunately no CMM here and now.

BTW, Outline is still rather new and they update the software quite a lot. Good to check Github from time to time to see what's going on.

https://github.com/Jigsaw-Code

• john564john564 Member
    edited April 2018

Pain

1) no QR code scan, must be able to copy and paste the S:// string

2) no support for any plugins, kcptun, simple-obfs, obfs4 etc

School report would say, "could do better".

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited April 2018

@john564 said:
    Pain

3) unable set custom dns server

• @john564 said:
    Pain

School report would say, "could do better".

Can't agree. Aim is ease of use. Any client side plugin wouldn't qualify for 'ease'. Throughput performance is not required imho. The aim is access and exchange of unfiltered information, not movie downloading.

I agree on the ss://... though. This requires that AWS is accessible (it is, now, but...) But this is the minor issue, the bigger issue is, if the client doesn't have Outline installed it can't install it in places where Play is blocked (or iOS Appstore doesn't have it)

In their defense, Outline is new and it works flawless. So far no throttling or blocking. I am sure they add more functions later.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Google + NSA = VPN (Virtual PUBLIC Network) ;xd

• @DewlanceVPS said:

Was already pointed out a few times, it's software, not a service.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@dergelbe said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Software of Google is very secure, They do not track using Android.

One Example of google Software Privacy and Security. ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

erm, ok I guess?

So you either prove or you keep the claims to yourself?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@DewlanceVPS said:

@dergelbe said:

@DewlanceVPS said:

Software of Google is very secure, They do not track using Android.

One Example of google Software Privacy and Security. ;)

I mean, every mobile network operator already does that and much more and stores the data for quite a long time. I'm not saying that Google should do the same, I would just like to point out that your mobile phone is not and will never be a "privacy" oriented anonymous device.