Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google launches free VPN service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google launches free VPN service

bashlykbashlyk Member
edited March 2018 in General

Jigsaw, formerly known as Google Ideas, and now owned by Google’s parent company Alphabet, has launched Outline, a piece of free proxy software. It’s out for Windows, Android and Mac

Outline makes it easy for news organizations to set a up a corporate virtual private network (VPN) on their own server to more safely connect to the internet and keep their communication private.

Outline is completely open source and was audited by Radically Open Security.

https://www.getoutline.org/en/home

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bashlyk said:
    Jigsaw, formerly known as Google Ideas, and now owned by Google’s parent company Alphabet, has launched Outline, a piece of free proxy software. It’s out for Windows, Android and Mac

Outline makes it easy for news organizations to set a up a corporate virtual private network (VPN) on their own server to more safely connect to the internet and keep their communication private.

Outline is completely open source and was audited by Radically Open Security.

https://www.getoutline.org/en/home

This seems to be really awesome. I will definitely give it a try.

• @hzr said:
    This is not a service. This is software only.

It is also not a VPN. It does not send all system traffic, only traffic of supported browsers. That said, its pretty seamless, threw it up on a VPS and it works great. Only downside is there is no system tray / taskbar support, it must be open and minimized.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • It's probably still in beta.

• In my opinion this is just another software doing... nothing special.

• @default said:
    In my opinion this is just another software doing... nothing special.

It's not meant to. It's meant to provide a simple service for journalist etc to access the internet in foreign countries without being monitored/blocked. And it does just that.

• mkshmksh Member

@maldovia said:
    without being monitored

besides by google.

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited March 2018

@mksh said:

@maldovia said:
    without being monitored

besides by google.

Google isn't monitoring anything. Its a Shadowsocks proxy on self hosted hardware. Its basically just a client and docker server.

• mkshmksh Member

@maldovia said:

@mksh said:

@maldovia said:
    without being monitored

besides by google.

Google isn't monitoring anything. Its a Shadowsocks proxy on self hosted hardware. Its basically just a client and docker server.

Is it?

• sliceboxslicebox Member
    edited March 2018

Error: Server Error 502
    The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

• @mksh said:

@maldovia said:

@mksh said:

@maldovia said:
    without being monitored

besides by google.

Is it?

No. Go view their privacy policy. Google has no need to lie, their sweeping data collection policy is public. Nobody cares. But you can packet sniff if you want.

• HaxHax Member

@mksh said:

@maldovia said:

@mksh said:

@maldovia said:
    without being monitored

besides by google.

Is it?

It's an open source project and hosted on GitHub, you can review the code if you don't believe it.

And yes, it's a wrapper of Shadowsocks proxy.

https://github.com/Jigsaw-Code/outline-server

Thanked by 2Dylan vimalware
  • Shadowsocks Modified failed version.And also added advertise

Thanked by 1fat27
  • I prefer to use Shadowocks, it's really awesome, especially use it with TOR

• erkinerkin Member

Software not service.

• jhjh Member

"I'm looking to hide my identity online"

Step 1: install Google software and connect to Google

• @jh said:

lol... I was wondering the same... Google developing something for privacy, doesn't match the vibe at all :)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@mehargags said:

@jh said:

lol... I was wondering the same... Google developing something for privacy, doesn't match the vibe at all :)

Google develops privacy tools… They want to keep your private data all for themselves.

• EwokEwok Member

@autovmnet said:
    I prefer to use Shadowocks, it's really awesome, especially use it with TOR

What's the benefit of this over VPN into TOR. Speed?

• It's well known that connecting or even hosting such server in China cause you trouble, while the GFW is now almost capable to identify shadowsocks traffic, I don't see any useful in this software...

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • It should be warned that Shadowsocks, the underlying protocol of Outline, is never designed for security purposes, but obfuscation. The security features were provided to reduce the impact of gfw's proactive scanning. A more secure alternative protocol is openvpn, while blocked in China due to outstanding fingerprints.

• @cnbeining said:
    It should be warned that Shadowsocks, the underlying protocol of Outline, is never designed for security purposes, but obfuscation. The security features were provided to reduce the impact of gfw's proactive scanning. A more secure alternative protocol is openvpn, while blocked in China due to outstanding fingerprints.

Is shadowsocks encrypted?

• @elliotc said:

@cnbeining said:
    It should be warned that Shadowsocks, the underlying protocol of Outline, is never designed for security purposes, but obfuscation. The security features were provided to reduce the impact of gfw's proactive scanning. A more secure alternative protocol is openvpn, while blocked in China due to outstanding fingerprints.

Is shadowsocks encrypted?

Yes. It is an encrypted proxy.

• So this basically allows you to offer VPN services via google to journalists? or do you have to find the VPN clients yourself?

• @stefeman said:
    So this basically allows you to offer VPN services via google to journalists? or do you have to find the VPN clients yourself?

selfhosted shadowsocks server with manager where you can send join codes to your journalists/friends to join via the client

• I don't get it. Is it free vpn or no ?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lifehome said: It's well known that connecting or even hosting such server in China cause you trouble, while the GFW is now almost capable to identify shadowsocks traffic, I don't see any useful in this software...

...because China is the only situation in which you'd use a VPN?

I could not care less about the Chinese GFW, and neither does the rest of the world.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @cnbeining said:

I wonder about it a little. Shadowsocks is really good, but since a few month it can be detected by the GFW and I recently swapped to SSR.

I did setup outline on a new VPS for the only purpose to try if it will get blocked. I will report back next time when I get near the GFW.

@yokowasis said:
    I don't get it. Is it free vpn or no ?

It's free software, it's not a VPN service that you can buy/rent. You need to get a server to host it.

BTW, I tried to install it first on a Raspberry and it didn't work.

Thanked by 1atrava
  • @dergelbe said:
    It's free software, it's not a VPN service that you can buy/rent. You need to get a server to host it.

BTW, I tried to install it first on a Raspberry and it didn't work.

How does it differ with openvpn ?