Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Send Email Direct to inbox - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Send Email Direct to inbox

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

SES seems to be doing fine as an alternative to something like Mandrill or SendGrid. I'm curious what they do to maintain reasonable IP rep. Like I know SendGrid uses mailchannels so they have that strong outbound filter but I know nothing about how Amazon protects their IP space.

If I were them I'd probably just threaten anyone blacklisting or rate limiting the IPs :P

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@jarland said:
    SES seems to be doing fine as an alternative to something like Mandrill or SendGrid. I'm curious what they do to maintain reasonable IP rep. Like I know SendGrid uses mailchannels so they have that strong outbound filter but I know nothing about how Amazon protects their IP space.

If I were them I'd probably just threaten anyone blacklisting or rate limiting the IPs :P

If Sendgrid is using mailchannels, mailchannels does a bad job. Complaints about delivery problems are all over the place. The problem I had was that mail to my own email address didn't arrive for quite some time.

My best guess: Amazon has deals with the big parties.

@M66B said:

@jarland said:

If Sendgrid is using mailchannels, mailchannels does a bad job. Complaints about delivery problems are all over the place. The problem I had was that mail to my own email address didn't arrive for quite some time.

They use the in house dedicated system so they may have adjusted it to be less effective than MC cloud.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@M66B said: @angstrom said: @M66B: Arguably, Amazon SES's loss-leader offer is really only something that the big boys can afford to make: strategically, it seems to be a way to try to draw people into Amazon's ecosystem.

By the same reasoning, why pay for a 15GB VPS for storing files if one can get 15GB for free with Google Drive? Etc.

Can you support your claim of loss-leader? I think Amazon is perfectly capable of running a quality platform given its scale for the price they are asking. They obviously don't need to rent servers as well.

I said "arguably", but it's hard not to see the offer as a loss leader in itself. Obviously, they have the infrastructure in place anyway, so they can support it as a loss leader, but it's arguably a loss leader in itself nonetheless. (But, yeah, naturally, I can't prove it.)

It's a bit like a supermarket that offers a popular item at a loss-leader price in order to try to get people into the store.

M66B said: I think your comparison with Google Drive is different than comparing Amazon SES and MXroute because these are similar services (I didn't say the same) and a VPS and Google Drive are not.

I can modify the example if you feel that a VPS (with the intended use of storing files) and Google Drive aren't comparable: just take any paid service (e.g., a small storage box) comparable to Google Drive. (My point doesn't really depend on the exact details.)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2018

@M66B said:

@jarland said:

SendGrid is a Dedicated cloud client, meaning that they have their own infrastructure including ips etc. They just share the solution and a similar setup adjusted as per their specific needs.

@M66B said:

@MikePT said:
    Not an issue @M66B.

While SES is cheaper and it may do the job just fine for you, some people need different feature sets, which we off. There is not much else to say.

What I miss in your SMTP relay plans is a flat rate where you pay for what you use. If you don't know the e-mail volume yet or if the e-mail volume is varying the current fixed plans with a rather expensive overusage rate are a big disadvantage.

We are not exactly a pay as you go provider.
    Take it for example, I pay for 100GB storage in gdrive while I am using 60GB. Capacity is there and it also eases all the billing side that would be far different than how we do it currently. Also, clients pay for the next month upfront. Imagine if a 10k client sends 10M emails and ignores the overage / invoice. We would be losing quite a lot of money there, thats why we do it this way, to keep things organized, avoid clients that would just abuse the service with stolen PP accounts etc. Plus, we are a small company, we have all the automation in place to stop people going above their tier/allocation too much and never billed for a single overage. Imagine you have a 1M package and you send 100k more, as overage, if this happened rarely, we wouldnt bill you for the overage. We are very reasonable and able to create exceptions. This does NOT happen with big enterprises such as Amazon. Not trying to compare just stating that what we charge, versus the offers we have, are more than reasonable.
    Hell, we migrated a bunch of accounts from an ex reseller that was not able to keep up with the costs/increase, most clients are now paying less, no action was needed from their end other than paying to another company using a different URL, and you know what? We absorbed the costs for their first month.

As you can see above, this sort of personal approach, as well as willingness to solve any issues they might experience, makes the service look pretty affordable and worth.
    Got a webhosting company that sends 1M+ emails per month and you need someone to deliver the emails/filter the outbound spam, and notify you which accounts are sending spam, while affecting no one else? We do that dirty job, you can even setup webhooks to automate accounts or individual email accounts suspensions.

Thats one of the reasons we know our service is totally worth, and lets be honest, we are pretty damn good in what we do.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

The mails wont reach inbox if rdns is not set Or not setup properly

This is something which may require your upstream providers assistance

Kindly check if your rdns is okay, then pm me, if you still need help

Thanked by 3jar MikePT bdspice
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I use both Mailchannels and SES. I prefer SES for speed, support, deliverability and price, however Mailchannels filtering for shared hosting is pure magic. I wish their price can be lower since sending email don’t cost so much these day in term of time and infra.

Both have their advantage and use case. I use them in production daily and without issue.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @jarland @mikept I have a customer who is having some mail deliverability issues on their cpanel account (not hosted with us) and was wondering how you could/would setup mxroute.io to work with a cpanel account as opposed to doing it from WHM? Looking at the simplest solution to get them past mail deliverability issues caused by unclean neighbours.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@seaeagle said:
    @jarland @mikept I have a customer who is having some mail deliverability issues on their cpanel account (not hosted with us) and was wondering how you could/would setup mxroute.io to work with a cpanel account as opposed to doing it from WHM? Looking at the simplest solution to get them past mail deliverability issues caused by unclean neighbours.

You'd just have them set MC as the SMTP server when sending email. That might prevent them from using the cPanel webmail but that would be a small loss, especially since rainloop is an easy install on their domain.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @agentmishra said:

It would be a great help like life saving if you help me in this matter. since i setup my reverse dns properly because the vps is hosted on my own dedicated server. still not working. so if you can, then it will save me. because my server is expiring on 30 march which i am not renewing only for this. if you help me to reach emails on inbox, then i will renew it.

@bdspice said:

@agentmishra said:

It would be a great help like life saving if you help me in this matter. since i setup my reverse dns properly because the vps is hosted on my own dedicated server. still not working. so if you can, then it will save me. because my server is expiring on 30 march which i am not renewing only for this. if you help me to reach emails on inbox, then i will renew it.

So instead of trying to follow a recommendation made in this thread, you'd prefer to depend on @agentmishra for a possible last-minute rescue operation?

• @angstrom said:

@bdspice said:

@agentmishra said:

So instead of trying to follow a recommendation made in this thread, you'd prefer to depend on @agentmishra for a possible last-minute rescue operation?

i prefere recommendation made in this thread if its solve my problem, otherways i have to choose @agentmishra 's last-minute rescue operation

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

Make sure that your SMTP HELO name matches your hostname that matches your rDNS. Also, go view source in Gmail and see if you are sending some double headers.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@bdspice said:

@angstrom said:

@bdspice said:

@agentmishra said:

i prefere recommendation made in this thread if its solve my problem, otherways i have to choose @agentmishra 's last-minute rescue operation

Kindly ask your upstream provider / dedicated server, to add your rdns server /dns server ip to their name resolver
    Also would be nice, if they add the fqdn for those ips along with the ips, then check If its working

Do give some time to propogate

In case you require more help
    Let me know, here as well as over pm

Do update me on this

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • I migrated from SES to MXRoute. I had issues with SES because of IP reputation, I only use the relay to get cron messages from various servers to me. I decided the "10x" price (or $18 per year) was more than worth my time troubleshooting SES. I decided a long time ago if something was cheaper than my hourly rate, I was better off getting someone else to do it. Another example, I use a local cleaner to clean my house twice a week, she is more expensive than the big firms, but the job is done better and she's still much less than my hourly rate... Why wouldn't I do it!

Thanked by 2bdspice MikePT

@bdspice: Just curious, what score does your email get at mail-tester.com?

• Also I'll add onto the entire SES VS MXRoute debate: SES does deny a lot of people without malicious intent. For example, I got denied from SES for transaction password reset type of emails. Very clear in the justification as well.

• M66BM66B Veteran

@TotallyNotABot said:
    Also I'll add onto the entire SES VS MXRoute debate: SES does deny a lot of people without malicious intent. For example, I got denied from SES for transaction password reset type of emails. Very clear in the justification as well.

IMO it is a good thing that Amazon is critical about who to allow on their platform. My experience is that if you make clear what you are going to do and link to the relevant web pages they will allow you without further questions.

• @M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:
    Also I'll add onto the entire SES VS MXRoute debate: SES does deny a lot of people without malicious intent. For example, I got denied from SES for transaction password reset type of emails. Very clear in the justification as well.

IMO it is a good thing that Amazon is critical about who to allow on their platform. My experience is that if you make clear what you are going to do and link to the relevant web pages they will allow you without further questions.

They definitely didn't check too hard. It was well documented and justified. And the project was actually entirely ran on AWS.

I use mandrill and mandrill is just as strict if not more. I have a perfect reputation because these are strictly transactional and not marketing.

• M66BM66B Veteran

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

They definitely didn't check too hard. It was well documented and justified. And the project was actually entirely ran on AWS.

I use mandrill and mandrill is just as strict if not more. I have a perfect reputation because these are strictly transactional and not marketing.

Did Amazon specify a reason why you were rejected?

• @M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

No as per usual you have to pay them for anything above a totally canned response.

• M66BM66B Veteran

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

No as per usual you have to pay them for anything above a totally canned response.

One of my application was rejected as well and adding more explanations resulted in an acceptance without further questions. So, in my experience it boils down to a clear explanation about what you are planning to do.

edited March 2018

@michaels said:
    I migrated from SES to MXRoute. I had issues with SES because of IP reputation, I only use the relay to get cron messages from various servers to me. I decided the "10x" price (or $18 per year) was more than worth my time troubleshooting SES. I decided a long time ago if something was cheaper than my hourly rate, I was better off getting someone else to do it. Another example, I use a local cleaner to clean my house twice a week, she is more expensive than the big firms, but the job is done better and she's still much less than my hourly rate... Why wouldn't I do it!

Very glad to do your house cleaning though! You gave me some ideas for a blog post. :p

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

Thats a serious issue with Amazon.

• @MikePT said:

what are you doing?

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@MikePT said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

@M66B said:

@TotallyNotABot said:

Not in my experience as already said and I bet you have no personal experience with this.

Can you please stop making MXroute look good by making other providers look bad? MXroute has it uses, but it is not perfect and not the best or the only solution for all use cases. People are not stupid and will see what you are doing, It is just too obvious. It doesn't make things better for you, on the contrary. You have lost me as a customer forever in any case, while I was considering to use MXroute as backup solution. Even though MXroute may work very well, I don't like this attitude. The world is not about selling and money only. In fact that makes the world a worse place.

edited March 2018

@M66B no one is doing that, you're trying to build a narrative that others are doing it so that you can play some weird "hero" role. It's really awkward honestly. Especially when you're the one who started this weird X vs Y thing. Just let it go, have a drink. Amazon will survive this thread I promise.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • M66BM66B Veteran

@jarland said:
    @M66B no one is doing that, you're trying to build a narrative that others are doing it so that you can play some weird "hero" role. It's really awkward honestly. Especially when you're the one who started this weird X vs Y thing. Just let it go, have a drink. Amazon will survive this thread I promise.

I have no desired to be hero, that is what you are making of it.

The facts speak for themselves.

@M66B said:

@jarland said:

The fact is you're going as far as pretending to be so offended by a perceived competitor that you'd never sign up for them, all because they had the nerve to speak in a thread where they were recommended and briefly defended themselves against your accusations that they had nothing unique to offer in relation to your favorite brand, then engage in conversion and maybe express an opinion or two.

The fact is no one cares if you or anyone signs up for anything because of this single thread. The only thing keeping this thread around is you caring deeply that the thread end in some kind of narrative that these evil MXroute marketing drones are exposed for what they are. We're not doing anything though, you are, repeatedly. Speaks volumes about you, honestly.

Sometimes it's beneficial to step back and look in the mirror, slowly go over recent events, and really contemplate them. Because you seem to care about your recommendations, and you're well on your way to be viewed as a possible shill for Amazon. People expect openly stated representatives of a brand to talk about it when it's mentioned, they don't expect a neutral third party to continually attack them just for doing so. They might suspect someone doing that isn't a neutral third party. I wouldn't blame them for thinking it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@jarland said:

@M66B said:

@jarland said:

The fact is you're going as far as pretending to be so offended by a perceived competitor that you'd never sign up for them, all because they had the nerve to speak in a thread where they were recommended and briefly defended themselves against your accusations that they had nothing unique to offer in relation to your favorite brand, then engage in conversion and maybe express an opinion or two.

The fact is no one cares if you or anyone signs up for anything because of this single thread. The only thing keeping this thread around is you caring deeply that the thread end in some kind of narrative that these evil MXroute marketing drones are exposed for what they are. We're not doing anything though, you are, repeatedly. Speaks volumes about you, honestly.

Sometimes it's beneficial to step back and look in the mirror, slowly go over recent events, and really contemplate them. Because you seem to care about your recommendations, and you're well on your way to be viewed as a possible shill for Amazon. People expect openly stated representatives of a brand to talk about it when it's mentioned, they don't expect a neutral third party to continually attack them just for doing so. They might suspect someone doing that isn't a neutral third party. I wouldn't blame them for thinking it.

Nice words as usual, but the facts speak for themselves. The last remark of @MikePT was absolutely unnecessary because it was already said that not everybody has the same experience. So, I think my comment was quite to the point. Tell me, what else was the intention of his comment?

Anyway, you can say what you want, but what I see is too aggressive marketing.