Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I entitled to a refund? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am I entitled to a refund?

2»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2018

There is another way. Call'em up and go PMS at them. Claim that your mom is going to murder you if you don't get the money back, etc etc, you know.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@deank said:
    Claim that your mom is going to murder you if you don't get the money back, etc etc, you know.

This is (was? Since HF banned booters, there's been a lot less of them) a common request from booter skids after they get caught.

Not a good tactic imo. Parents punishing you is between you and your parents, if you don't want to take that risk don't spend their money online, simple as that.

• bapbap Member

just click the dispute button and give us drama!

• lazytlazyt Member

I love how fraud record has became a tool to allow shady and unhelpful providers to hold a club over customers heads.

All you see any more. Is people saying be scared the provider will report you to this organization.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Or better...., Sue'em.

• lazytlazyt Member

Really the best thing to do is chalk it up to being a learning experience. Never buy without a lot of research.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@deank said:
    Or better...., Sue'em.

If they create a fake record on FR that would definitely become suable.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@lazyt said:
    I love how fraud record has became a tool to allow shady and unhelpful providers to hold a club over customers heads.

All you see any more. Is people saying be scared the provider will report you to this organization.

You learn pretty quick how to read the reports, and find info abou the provider who filed the report.

• lazytlazyt Member

You know that I know that but most people don't. All the know is all the post by people being denied service thanks to bad reports on fraud record.

• mkshmksh Member

Don't know their fine print but definitly scummy to not refund without verification. I can totally understand OP not wanting to send documents. I am probably one of the most unproblematic customers you will ever get but if you want to see my ID you better be Hetzner or OVH and have a seriously tempting offer otherwise it 99.9999% won't happen.

Thanked by 3Aidan lazyt Junkless
  • EwokEwok Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Ewok said: It's irrelevant what their terms are. European law protects you for the first 14 days.

I think you may be mixing that up with credit regulations?

I thought it was on all goods (digital or not) that you're entitled to a full refund within the first 14 days.

Not going to pretend to be an expert on the law. (or even knowledgeable really) so you could be right.

edited March 2018

@Ewok said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Ewok said: It's irrelevant what their terms are. European law protects you for the first 14 days.

I think you may be mixing that up with credit regulations?

I thought it was on all goods (digital or not) that you're entitled to a full refund within the first 14 days.

Not going to pretend to be an expert on the law. (or even knowledgeable really) so you could be right.

VPS are not goods. They are a service provided to you by a service provider.

• EwokEwok Member
    edited March 2018

"If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

EDIT: Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert and I could be totally wrong on how this particular law works. I only know about it because there was a segment on a morning news channel a few months ago.

@Ewok said:
    "If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification."

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

EDIT: Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert and I could be totally wrong on how this particular law works. I only know about it because there was a segment on a morning news channel a few months ago.

Not if the service was already rendered. As stated earlier, if you book your haircut online or by phone you can’t come back after your hair were cut nor half way through and demand a refund.

Thanked by 3Ewok MikePT Ole_Juul
  • M66BM66B Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@Ewok said:

Not if the service was already rendered. As stated earlier, if you book your haircut online or by phone you can’t come back after your hair were cut nor half way through and demand a refund.

I think a half cut and a half refund would be fair, lol.

Thanked by 1Ewok
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited March 2018

Ewok said: "If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also have the right to cancel and return your order within 14 days, for any reason and with no justification."

From the same link:

The 14-day "cooling off" period does not apply to all purchases. Some of the exemptions are:

plane and train tickets, as well as concert tickets, hotel bookings, car rental reservations and catering services for specific dates
    goods and drinks delivered to you by regular delivery – for example delivery by a milkman.
    goods made to order or clearly personalised – such as a tailor-made suit
    sealed audio, video or computer software, such as DVDs, which you have unsealed upon receipt.
    online digital content, if you have already started downloading or streaming it
    goods bought from a private individual rather than a company
    urgent repairs and maintenance contracts – if you call a plumber to repair a leaking shower, you can't cancel the work once you have agreed on the price of the service.

Though debatable, both a haircut and a server are personalized services and therefore this rule does not apply.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • mikecmikec Member

If they declined your order due to you are blacklisted in Fraud Record or FraudLabs Pro, then they should honor you refund. That is quite common practice in the industry. You can issue chargeback if you have been denied your rights.

• The real question here is not if they should but if they will refund you. If they won't, and they may even be entitled to keep your money, they're just another shitty host.

In my book it comes close to stealing money off people. Bad marketing/business practice.