Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I entitled to a refund?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am I entitled to a refund?

LongFireLongFire Member
edited March 2018 in Help

I recently ordered a dedicated server and paid in advance for three months, I have now been told it will not be activated unless I pass a verification process which I would prefer not to do.

I requested a refund and they say I have to be verified to request a refund.

Should I dispute this on PayPal or is it my fault?

Edit: provider is mengine.fr

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

If the services hasn't been setup yet it's not unreasonable to request a refund on the transaction you paid with (same method and account/card).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2018

If they haven't provided the service, and won't let you receive the service until passing a separate verification process, you're absolutely entitled to a refund. If you haven't received the service then open a dispute. I think this is the only time I've actually thought a dispute was a good idea.

Edit: Unless there is another side to the story of course, and service was provided but limited afterwards.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep, you are entitled, unless of course all of this was covered in their terms and you agreed to this before paying a penny.

even then.. it would be a crappy thing to do not to give you a refund.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

I think a name and shame is also in order here

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @MikeA said:
    If they haven't provided the service, and won't let you receive the service until passing a separate verification process, you're absolutely entitled to a refund. If you haven't received the service then open a dispute. I think this is the only time I've actually thought a dispute was a good idea.

Edit: Unless there is another side to the story of course, and service was provided but limited afterwards.

In the support tickets they say the service is active but I cannot access the service until I am verified, they were quite vague.

• LeeLee Veteran

I requested a refund and they say I have to be verified to request a refund.

Yeah, no. If they take the money without verification they need to refund it without.

• Need to be verified for a refund? Get your money back ASAP sound like scumbags

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Lee said: Yeah, no. If they take the money without verification they need to refund it without.

Yes it is odd that they would not refund without verification. Though it seems dodgy that the OP is unwilling to provide certain verification details. What's so bad about providing your ID to the hosting company? Worried about identify theft?

Still.. the OP should be able to get a refund if they don't get the service. Especially if the host did not explicitly state that they need verification of personal details prior to delivery or refund.

• randvegeta said: it seems dodgy that the OP is unwilling to provide certain verification details. What's so bad about providing your ID to the hosting company?

I think in this day and age it is perfectly reasonable. It's a personal choice to not want to put one's details out there. It is, however, not reasonable to expect all providers to play along.

That said, it might be time for providers to start putting their requirements for such information right out front and not just assuming that the buyer doesn't care. Things aren't the way they used to be just a few years ago when it comes to this stuff.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • how long have you wait ?
    as you know, this is weekend

• Verify, quit being a little wimp.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2018

@huntercop said:
    Verify, quit being a little wimp.

Please refrain from spamming your god awful affiliate links... you’ve made like 15 posts in the last hour.

• You or a loved one may be entitled to compensation.

• trnjtrnj Member

@doghouch said:
    your god awful affiliate links

It is ok. He/she is from Romania, they are poor :/

• deankdeank Member, Troll

You are entitled for a refund. Since they aren't willing, open a dispute.

Name & shame is also a good idea as mentioned.

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2Janevski Pwner
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

I can imagine circumstances where this might happen:

Customer signs up with email address [email protected]
    Payment made from [email protected] (e.g. via PayPal)
    Customer never verifies they are authorised by payer [email protected]
    Customer requests a refund - but they haven't verified they are authorised by the payer
    Payer never submits refund request.

Try submitting your refund request from the email address associated with your PayPal account.

• You're entitled to a refund and this is one of the few occasions I'd recommend a dispute (if paid via PayPal) or a chargeback via your bank. This is fraudulent from their side

jackb said: I can imagine circumstances where this might happen:

yep, also another possibility:

• Customer tries to bypass regular fraud checks by signing up 20 times with different addresses/names etc to get past maxmind

• Eventually finds a combination that works, pays from a now obviously not matching paypal account

• Company rightly asks for validation

• Customer requests refund because he has been caught in his own web of lies

• Company just asks for validation anyway to annoy him enough to not try it again with the full intention of eventually refunding anyway.

• ehabehab Member

@LongFire if you are telling the truth then you'll get your money back! if you are fishy then you'll get what you deserve.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @trnj said:

@doghouch said:
    your god awful affiliate links

It is ok. He/she is from Romania, they are poor :/

Romania is NOT a poor men country. Yes, they earn less then they should, because of bad politicians ruining the country and rising the inflation. When I were in Romania, I met some beggars, yes, but that's a part of the culture.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jackb said:

Customer requests a refund - but they haven't verified they are authorised by the payer

Try submitting your refund request from the email address associated with your PayPal account.

Then it is in the merchant interests to refund to the original payment method to avoid liability.

Thanked by 2lukehebb Janevski
  • @Clouvider said:

@jackb said:

Then it is in the merchant interests to refund to the original payment method to avoid liability.

Completely agree. If you're unsure whether its really the person paying or not why wouldn't you refund? It avoids any chargebacks and if it is fraudulent then the cardholder gets their money back

• hostenshostens Member, Host Rep

Hey,

verification should not be a factor for a refund, especially if you meet the Refund Policy requirements. Also, this should not be a question, if you have not even received the services.

We do have a verification process, which is required, but if a customer refuses to do so, it does not in any way stops us from a refund. Providing person documents or some other information in order to verify the account is a customer's choice and he can refuse to do so.

• @doghouch said:

@huntercop said:
    Verify, quit being a little wimp.

Please refrain from spamming your god awful affiliate links... you’ve made like 15 posts in the last hour.

Not spam.. it's just common sense.

• GodsGods Member

Just send a dispute to Paypal or your bank, if you used a credit card, to refund the payment. Show them that they refuse to refund you. You'll win the case 100%, if you have American Express you'll just win no matter what.

• EwokEwok Member

It's irrelevant what their terms are. European law protects you for the first 14 days.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Gods said:
    Just send a dispute to Paypal or your bank, if you used a credit card, to refund the payment. Show them that they refuse to refund you. You'll win the case 100%, if you have American Express you'll just win no matter what.

This will probably also create a record with fraudrecord or other similar services.

Always talk to the provider first!

Thanked by 1cubedata
  • GodsGods Member

@mikho said:

@Gods said:

This will probably also create a record with fraudrecord or other similar services.

He tried, they want a ID verification from him to process a refund, did you read the post?

If anything he should threaten them with a dispute or just start a dispute on his end. I think they're pretty set on their ways.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Gods said:

@mikho said:

@Gods said:

He tried, they want a ID verification from him to process a refund, did you read the post?

If anything he should threaten them with a dispute or just start a dispute on his end. I think they're pretty set on their ways.

I did read the post, I’m only giving a heads up on what most providers do when a customer opens a dispute or charge back.

Thanked by 1cubedata

Ewok said: It's irrelevant what their terms are. European law protects you for the first 14 days.

I think you may be mixing that up with credit regulations?