Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got fiber installed at my place, finally! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Just got fiber installed at my place, finally!

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@eva2000 said:

congrats.. I envy you -- with the state of Australian broadband speeds, I won't be seeing such speeds for internet for at least the next 30-50 yrs :(

Time to move!

• @eva2000 said:

FredQc said: Wohoo! Yes, so I just got Telus fiber optic installed today at my place. I

congrats.. I envy you -- with the state of Australian broadband speeds, I won't be seeing such speeds for internet for at least the next 30-50 yrs :(

To be fair, it’s been difficult for ISPs to install fibre throughout Canadian cities because of how spread out they are. I live in Toronto and got lucky because Bell (the largest ISP in Canada) announced that they would replace every copper connection with fibre) :)

(then again, they probably got some sweet tax reductions from the government for doing this)

• doghouch said: announced that they would replace every copper connection with fibre) :)

(then again, they probably got some sweet tax reductions from the government for doing this)

Same story here... :P

• AidanAidan Member

FredQc said: I live in a rural area

I hope you know just how lucky your are ;-;

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I got on fiber only because I fooled around with real estate business. Homes in GTA had a huge real estate bubble going on and I had to take a chance at it.

I made some decent money after buying and selling few houses and where I ended up was a recently developed street where they had fiber to begin with.

• Aidan said: I hope you know just how lucky your are ;-;

I know, thanks ;-)

Never thought I could get fiber here in 2018!

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

At my main location they probs wont get fiber for a while, but they had a 100/40 LTE hybrid with no data cap.

But here i love my 2ms ping :)

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Been waiting for Telus Fibre for a few years at my place. Looks like Telus is upgrading a lot of the more rural communities around me before pushing into the cities.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • eva2000 said: congrats.. I envy you -- with the state of Australian broadband speeds, I won't be seeing such speeds for internet for at least the next 30-50 yrs :(

Meanwhile, one of Vocus' NZ brands is offering 1G/500M fibre (no cap) for $100NZ/mth.

• @eva2000 said:

FredQc said: Wohoo! Yes, so I just got Telus fiber optic installed today at my place. I

Youre either gonna have to be in the right area + be in an incrediby small percentage of the population or use cellular (5G) which will have small allowance caps. A big place like Australia is now bucked for an incredibly long time.

• @Detruire said:

eva2000 said: congrats.. I envy you -- with the state of Australian broadband speeds, I won't be seeing such speeds for internet for at least the next 30-50 yrs :(

Meanwhile, one of Vocus' NZ brands is offering 1G/500M fibre (no cap) for $100NZ/mth.

i could dig in my own cat 6 across one side of that tiny island to the other in 2 days

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:

@eva2000 said:

Time to move!

To Tasmania where we're mostly covered by FTTP and have access to gigabit!

• corbpie said: i could dig in my own cat 6 across one side of that tiny island to the other in 2 days

Sounds like a missed business opportunity.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Detruire said:

corbpie said: i could dig in my own cat 6 across one side of that tiny island to the other in 2 days

With ~100m length limitation ?

• AidanAidan Member

@Clouvider said:

@Detruire said:

corbpie said: i could dig in my own cat 6 across one side of that tiny island to the other in 2 days

With ~100m length limitation ?

I'm sure it'll cross the pond.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @MikeA said:

@Crandolph said:

Just got Google Fiber in my area ;-)

Honestly going from 100 Mbps to 500+, there isn't much difference in most sites. For me it was simply about downloading games faster and not having to worry about others on the network bogging down my gaming experience. It's always nice to have crazy speeds though.

@AlexJones said:
    Honestly going from 100 Mbps to 500+, there isn't much difference in most sites. For me it was simply about downloading games faster and not having to worry about others on the network bogging down my gaming experience. It's always nice to have crazy speeds though.

If I had fiber, it would mean I could get rid of a server that cost $$ and be able to store more local backups than I do now. But, I am sure Google Fiber's reliability and routing is better than my current cable provider.

• @MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

If I had fiber, it would mean I could get rid of a server that cost $$ and be able to store more local backups than I do now. But, I am sure Google Fiber's reliability and routing is better than my current cable provider.

Living in Texas, I figured you wouldn't want to have local backups after what happened before.

@AlexJones said:
    Living in Texas, I figured you wouldn't want to have local backups after what happened before.

What did I miss?

• AlexJonesAlexJones Member
    edited March 2018

@MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

What did I miss?

Hurricane harvey

Thanked by 1Aidan
    edited March 2018

@AlexJones said:

@MikeA said:

@AlexJones said:

What did I miss?

[https://nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/photography/PROOF/2017/August/hurricane-harvey/40-hurricane-harvey-floods-disaster-update.jpg]

I don't live anywhere by the coast lol. Plus I have backups in more than one place, obv. It would just be nice to be able to grab backups faster.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited March 2018

Im paying €50/mo for 100Mbit symmetrical. So 60$ is pretty good. Going to upgrade to T-Mobile Netherlands 750mbit fiber soon though, 80€/mo all-in including 750mbit symmetrical(No data cap), 2 internet tv stations and 2 landlines. Pretty good deal.

Thanked by 2FredQc mtsbatalha
  • AlexJones said: Honestly going from 100 Mbps to 500+, there isn't much difference in most sites.

Yeah, from 50Mbps to 250Mbps either, I don't see much difference when just doing some normal browsing. Downloading big files, however, is another story :)

• 4G is faster than my adsl network.

• @elliotc said:
    4G is faster than my adsl network.

Where you living?

• @mtsbatalha said:

@elliotc said:
    4G is faster than my adsl network.

Where you living?

A corner of Hong Kong.

• AndruAndru Member

Mine, in rural area in Romania (10Km from town..)
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/7105319547
    Price 10Eu/m

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • vishvish Member

@FredQc said:
    Wohoo!

Congratulations

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nice man. Weird that Canada is beginning with Fiber... I have 200mbps uncapped for $75usd

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • edited March 2018

Once you go fiber you won't want to go back to copper. Mine is always 100% rock solid and I almost always get full speed both directions at all hours of day/night. Also native IPv6.

I find that I rarely get the high upload speed due to upstream bottlenecks once it leaves my ISP's network. So don't assume you will be able to upload at the same speed you can download torrents or whatever.