Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaseweb, bit of a rant
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Leaseweb, bit of a rant

edited February 2018 in General

When there are no technical problems and no reason to open tickets with them then everything is fine. The odd time I have major problems their response is not so great. They are always slow to respond. Tickets sometimes go unanswered or not answered for 24 hours or more. Had a big technical problem with one of my US servers and they took over 12 hours to fix it. So I was offline for 12 hours for something that should have been fixed in 1. When they finally did get it fixed it apparently wasn't set up right in their system causing another outage a few days later for several hours (this time purely for administrative reasons as far as I can tell). They are not really a low-end provider but their service seems to be worse than a lot of low-end providers.

This is in a US datacenter. It seems to make a difference what datacenter you are in. Sounds like some are better than others. I get notifications of network issues when they have problems at some US datacenters but not others. Seems that a lot their network issues don't get worked on till Amsterdam business hours. US support is kind of a different department with different ways of reaching them. You can open tickets directly with them by email only and it doesn't show up on the main leaseweb.com ticketing system.

So they are kind of difficult to deal with and very slow to respond to technical problems/emergencies in my experience. Seems the only thing good about them is their network and peering. Even that doesn't seem to be all that different from other providers so not sure if that is worth the premium they charge.

Interested in others opinions on their support in US datacenters. Again, it seems to matter which datacenter. I seem to get notifications for when they have network problems in WDC, SFO but I don't seem to get notifications when I have problems in other US datacenters. It's odd. Starting to wonder if they are spread thin and maybe having financial difficulties. Maybe running with barebones poorly qualified staff. Maybe some of their datacenters are treated differently or prioritized differently for some reason?

Thanked by 1cfgguy

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep, that pretty much fits leaseweb and how they have been for a long time and they are 10x worse in Singapore :)

leaseweb, worth considering for use in the Netherlands, anywhere else... RUN AWAY!

Thanked by 1ghettoHost
  • That's weird, all my hardware replacements in WDC are usually done within 30 min or less and support responses in under 1 hour. I rarely have any issues with my dedis or vpses in WDC-01 and their NL datacenter.

• edited February 2018

@sin said:
    That's weird, all my hardware replacements in WDC are usually done within 30 min or less and support responses in under 1 hour. I rarely have any issues with my dedis or vpses in WDC-01 and their NL datacenter.

I have rarely had them do anything within 30 minutes at any time of day or night, weekday or weekend! I get the feeling WDC is different for some reason. Maybe they have their own people there. It's definitely remote hands at a lot of the other US ones. I have tried asking them and they never tell me anything. They seem to be trained to try tell you as little as possible.

Hardware replacement under an hour is pure fantasy for me. It usually takes at least 4 hours minimum, and I pay extra for quicker response. Standard plans only guarantee 24hours hardware fix/replace, unlike every other provider I use and don't pay extra for.

edited February 2018

I had a paid for silver level SLA with them, after about the 4th time of them missing it significantly they offered to upgrade it to gold as compensation, which turned out to be a ridiculous waste of time as they consistently missed the GOLD level SLA targets as well and at that stage could only apologize.

For some people they work out, for others they are a joke, there is no rhyme or reason for it, but that inconsistency alone is enough for me to stay clear of them for production, they really are borderline super budget though.

Thanked by 2jetchirag ucxo
  • edited February 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    I had a paid for silver level SLA with them, after about the 4th time of them missing it significantly they offered to upgrade it to gold as compensation, which turned out to be a ridiculous waste of time as they consistently missed the GOLD level SLA targets as well and at that stage could only apologize.

For some people they work out, for others they are a joke, there is no rhyme or reason for it, but that inconsistency alone is enough for me to stay clear of them for production, they really are borderline super budget though.

Their support is super budget but their price is not. So I don't seem to be getting what I am paying for.

Well tbh, I think their price is super budget to.

They also only buy the absolute cheapest configs too.

• edited February 2018

I think most people here can agree that $200/month is not super budget when you have guys here selling dedicated servers for $50 a month.

I think $100-$150 is probably the average for economy but not super budget providers. So I would not even classify their price as economy or budget much less super budget.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    I think most people here can agree that $200/month is not super budget when you have guys here selling dedicated servers for $50 a month.

I think $100-$150 is probably the average for economy but not super budget providers. So I would not even classify their price as economy or budget much less super budget.

Budget by "Enterprise" standards. LET is just down right dirt cheap.

its subjective I guess, I was paying closer to $300 but it was 24 disk, which makes it super budget :)

• Their only selling point was their fabulous peering in NL compared to Hetzner and OVH back in the day. The others caught up.

• You're probably right. I have a dedicated server in AMS and a vps in Singapore. Nothing to complain about regarding support. Usually things are solved within the hour.

Had some issues in Singapore network wise but as that VM is merely part of a DNS cluster that's no big deal and for like €5/month who's complaining?

I have heard bad stuff about their US data centers as well. A friend of mine rents a couple of dedis don't know for sure what DC in the US, and if I recall correctly he had to wait half a day for a disk replacement. It's not that bad actually concidering they're not that expensive but I've had budget hosts acts faster.

• hicohico Member

Had issues with VPS in Singapore twice in past year. Slow to respond. Later learned the support staff responding to tickets was in the Netherlands so I guess they don't staff in Singapore or SE Asia time zones.

With DO's new pricing in Singapore it's hard to see Leaseweb's value proposition.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Hardware replacement under an hour is pure fantasy for me. It usually takes at least 4 hours minimum, and I pay extra for quicker response. Standard plans only guarantee 24hours hardware fix/replace, unlike every other provider I use and don't pay extra for.

The cheaper OVH brands can even replace quicker than that.

• XeiXei Member

Have no issues with my VPS's in NL or WDC.

• I once had problem with my VPS (small) at Leaseweb SG, it was a network issue and it took me and them several days to fix. They support pretty good on that issue. Sorry to hear your hard case... maybe it's US, it's different.

• ucxoucxo Member

Leaseweb… Don't get me started. :/

I only tried them for 36 hours, but the chaos and disregard for standards they showed during that time was astounding.

It took them 47 minutes to assign an IPv6 subnet to my VPS (they don't come with one by default) — and then more than 11 hours and 9 emails back and forth to acknowledge that I couldn't ping the gateway because they had typo'd the subnet address (they actually insisted multiple times that "this is the correct address, you probably disabled the ipv6 kernel module").

Either way, they only assign a /112 to VPSs: "Unfortunately we are not able to provide you with the requested IPv6 range on your VPS, due to our company policies."
    Long live this ominous "company policy" and nevermind "Internet Best Current Practice", right?

For the record, their full explanation was: "it will not be possible to assign a /64 to a single machine, since these are being used for whole racks or Cloud Vlans. And even then a /64 is gigantic network which holds so many IPV6 addresses."
    Looks like they didn't get the memo about recommended assignments (published, for example, by RIPE) and particularly about how blacklists work with IPv6. So that's not a provider I feel comfortable hosting any production services with.

• edited March 2018

I have switched to another provider in the one data center I was having problems with. I already use this provider in other datacenters. So far, support is night and day. Needed some IP assignments changed and it got done right away. The guy answering the ticket was apparently the guy making the changes. That makes all the difference in the world and seems to be the achillies heel of Leaseweb. You are often going through 2 or 3 layers of people with them.

I got brand new hardware with considerably better specs and still quite a bit less expensive than I was paying LeaseWeb. This new provider is not considered budget and is highly regarded as far as I can tell.

If LeaseWeb doesn't get their act together I can't see them surviving in such an ultra competitive business long term. Maybe they should just stick with Amsterdam. I think they are probably just running on inertia at this point. Having been one of the more established and bigger players early on. Now that OVH is expanding into the US the heat is only going to get turned up more on them. Not that I think OVH is any better.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2018

Leaseweb and OVH need to both innovate, but Leaseweb is light years ahead OVH. 1gbit (LW) vs 100mbit (OVH). I'd go with LW over OVH any day.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Xei said:
    Leaseweb and OVH need to both innovate, but Leaseweb is light years ahead OVH. 1gbit (LW) vs 100mbit (OVH). I'd go with LW over OVH any day.

eh, what?

OVH offers unmetered bandwidth, leaseweb offers limited bandwidth.

It's two completely different offers - if you want unmetered bandwidth at leaseweb, you'll pay the price for it.

At same time - what have leaseweb been innovating the last 3 years?

• atomiatomi Member
    edited March 2018

I've been using Leaseweb cloud in NL for 3years without any major issues but now I have terminated it. I feel that we get more value from the new Hetzner cloud. Its been quite a smooth sailing during these years and support has been replying within 2-3 hours for those couple times when I needed them. Hetzner surely has products and pricing right so let's hope they have also proper support.

• @Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

eh, what?

It's two completely different offers - if you want unmetered bandwidth at leaseweb, you'll pay the price for it.

Eh I'll go with 100mbit over 0gbps ddos protection. It's 2018. Also, they host WikiLeaks what do you expect they obviously give zero fucks.

• edited March 2018

@atomi said:
    I've been using Leaseweb cloud in NL for 3years without any major issues but now I have terminated it. I feel that we get more value from the new Hetzner cloud. Its been quite a smooth sailing during these years and support has been replying within 2-3 hours for those couple times when I needed them. Hetzner surely has products and pricing right so let's hope they have also proper support.

LeaseWeb Amsterdam datacenter(s) is like a whole other company as far as I can tell. They are headquartered there and any problems in that datacenter(s) gets acted on right away. I get all kinds of notices for Amsterdam constantly. In my US datacenters, almost nothing except for WDC and SFO. It's really wierd.

I wouldn't have a problem using them in Amsterdam. Not anywhere else.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited March 2018

@Zerpy said:

Leasing web(space) in a more unfriendlier manner.

• XeiXei Member
    edited March 2018

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

eh, what?

100mbit is stone age and not innovative. However I didn't say Leaseweb is innovating anything. Can you find a better peered/routed provider from US to EU, and within EU for the VPS price point with gbit port + 4tb bandwidth that Leaseweb offers?

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Xei said:
    100mbit is stone age and not innovative. However I didn't say Leaseweb is innovating anything. Can you find a better peered/routed provider from US to EU, and within EU for the VPS price point with gbit port + 4tb bandwidth that Leaseweb offers?

A lot of LET providers reselling OVH :-)

• XeiXei Member
    edited March 2018

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

Name 1? Show me the usual speed tests (US/EU benchmarks). I'm curious if what you say has any merit. You couldn't provide any facts so for now it's a random baseless claim.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited March 2018

@Xei said:

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

Name 1? Show me a speed test (US/EU benchmarks). I'm curious if what you say has any merit.

Well, I personally on my own OVH machines, get better latency average in US than I do from my NL VPS at leaseweb.

OVH has a lower overall latency world wide than Leaseweb has.

No doubt that leaseweb used to have a superb network if you look back 5-10 years, because they build a large network.

The thing that happened is that Leaseweb got the feeling of being on top of the world, they stopped upgrading their network at the rate they used to, so cheap providers (such as OVH), managed to build a bigger network in terms of size and performance.

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from Leaseweb WDC to Amsterdam:

2018-03-03 13:45:05 (19.3 MB/s) - “1000mb.bin” saved [1000000000/1000000000]

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from Leaseweb WDC to OVH France:

2018-03-03 14:45:32 (19.4 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]

So OVH beat leaseweb with 0.1 megabyte.

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from bhs.proof.ovh.net to AMS:

2018-03-03 13:46:51 (30.1 MB/s) - “1Gio.dat” saved [1073741824/1073741824]

bhs.proof.ovh.net to France:

2018-03-03 14:47:37 (30.3 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]

From France to Miami:

2018-03-03 13:52:12 (12.6 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]

From Amsterdam to Miami:

2018-03-03 13:50:37 (13.6 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]

Leaseweb being slightly better in that case.

From France to LAX:

2018-03-03 08:53:19 (10.0 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]

From Amsterdam to LAX:

2018-03-03 08:55:35 (8.95 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]

We can continue to do tests, reality is - that leaseweb network isn't so great anymore - actually it's just average with other cheap providers.

Sure, it would be cool if OVH offered 1 gigabit unmetered for $4 per month, but 100mbit unmetered for their current VPS line is actually rather acceptable for normal use.

If you're heavily depending on having a 1 gigabit uplink towards your cheap ass VPS but don't mind a 4TB limit with crazy overages - then sure, go for leaseweb.

In my scenario, I rather want a large amount of transfer than having a high throughput, because for my workloads, I care more about being able to send 10TB+ if I want to, without getting charged for it. That's not possible with a leaseweb VPS.

What do you actually use your 1 gigabit link for? Torrent?

• XeiXei Member
    edited March 2018

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

@Zerpy said:

@Xei said:

Name 1? Show me a speed test (US/EU benchmarks). I'm curious if what you say has any merit.

Well, I personally on my own OVH machines, get better latency average in US than I do from my NL VPS at leaseweb.

OVH has a lower overall latency world wide than Leaseweb has.

No doubt that leaseweb used to have a superb network if you look back 5-10 years, because they build a large network.

The thing that happened is that Leaseweb got the feeling of being on top of the world, they stopped upgrading their network at the rate they used to, so cheap providers (such as OVH), managed to build a bigger network in terms of size and performance.

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from Leaseweb WDC to Amsterdam:

> 2018-03-03 13:45:05 (19.3 MB/s) - “1000mb.bin” saved [1000000000/1000000000]
    > 

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from Leaseweb WDC to OVH France:

> 2018-03-03 14:45:32 (19.4 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]
    > 

So OVH beat leaseweb with 0.1 megabyte.

Fetching 1 gigabyte file from bhs.proof.ovh.net to AMS:

> 2018-03-03 13:46:51 (30.1 MB/s) - “1Gio.dat” saved [1073741824/1073741824]
    > 

bhs.proof.ovh.net to France:

> 2018-03-03 14:47:37 (30.3 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]
    > 

From France to Miami:

> 2018-03-03 13:52:12 (12.6 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]
    > 

From Amsterdam to Miami:

> 2018-03-03 13:50:37 (13.6 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]
    > 

Leaseweb being slightly better in that case.

From France to LAX:

> 2018-03-03 08:53:19 (10.0 MB/s) - '1Gio.dat' saved [1073741824/1073741824]
    > 

From Amsterdam to LAX:

> 2018-03-03 08:55:35 (8.95 MB/s) - '1000mb.bin' saved [1000000000/1000000000]
    > 

We can continue to do tests, reality is - that leaseweb network isn't so great anymore - actually it's just average with other cheap providers.

Sure, it would be cool if OVH offered 1 gigabit unmetered for $4 per month, but 100mbit unmetered for their current VPS line is actually rather acceptable for normal use.

If you're heavily depending on having a 1 gigabit uplink towards your cheap ass VPS but don't mind a 4TB limit with crazy overages - then sure, go for leaseweb.

In my scenario, I rather want a large amount of transfer than having a high throughput, because for my workloads, I care more about being able to send 10TB+ if I want to, without getting charged for it. That's not possible with a leaseweb VPS.

What do you actually use your 1 gigabit link for? Torrent?

So your claim was false as I suggested earlier (which you also admitted to). Your answer was also pretty useless. Thanks for trying though!

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@Xei said:
    So your claim was false as I suggested earlier (which you also admitted to). Your answer was also pretty useless. Thanks for trying though!

So what was false in my claim?

That OVH beats leaseweb in above except Miami?

You can perform same test from any LET OVH reseller sir.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

I'm not the biggest fan or either LeaseWeb or OVH, but thought I might drop this in here, testing from Japan. OVH pretty much maxes out the connection while LeaseWeb took forever to climb even to this speed :)