Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WANT NAT - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WANT NAT

2»

Comments

• CamCam Member, Patron Provider

@limited said:
    Since we're at it. Anyone know the retention policy of LES providers, what types of logs are kept and for how long? Maybe @AnthonySmith and @mikho could shed some light on it?

I can't speak for Mikho or Anthony but on my hosts I log every packet that leaves and enters my hosts. Logs rotate every 7 days and are retained for just over a month. Log files can get pretty large, usually within 2 - 8GB.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Cam said:

@limited said:
    Since we're at it. Anyone know the retention policy of LES providers, what types of logs are kept and for how long? Maybe @AnthonySmith and @mikho could shed some light on it?

I can't speak for Mikho or Anthony but on my hosts I log every packet that leaves and enters my hosts. Logs rotate every 7 days and are retained for just over a month. Log files can get pretty large, usually within 2 - 8GB.

Is that per ip or per client or all of the log combinded

@omelas said:

@Cam said:

@limited said:

All combined.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2018

@Tom said:
    Speaking of NAT, @AnthonySmith got any nice bundles going on?

There was a 5 location €10 bundle the other day, check the last Inception Offer. @Mikho also has a nice €15 bundle.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • Nat creeps me out. Makes me think I'll get lumped in with a bunch of freaks and crooks without me knowing. Or simply end up on a black listed IP and have anything I'm running on it - false flagged by some random site or program.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2018

@sureiam said:
    Nat creeps me out. Makes me think I'll get lumped in with a bunch of freaks and crooks without me knowing. Or simply end up on a black listed IP and have anything I'm running on it - false flagged by some random site or program.

Or worse... become a person of interest in an investigation by authorities. The provider, understandably, will submit all logs of all users for authorities to drool over at first sniff of any trouble!

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • aglodek said: Or worse... become a person of interest in an investigation by authorities. The provider, understandably, will submit all logs of all users for authorities to drool over at first sniff of any trouble!

And then they'd quickly discard my logs because I've not done anything remotely suspicious. Hurrah!

Thanked by 3Aidan MasonR kkrajk
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@limited said:

Nothing extra is specifically logged just because it is NAT I don't specifically monitor user activities just like on any other service, that would be unacceptable I would have thought?

It's just react on abuse, outside of the standard things like tor, torrents etc which people specifically agree not to use prior to sign up that are monitored at a network level it is a case of getting the abuse report and dealing with it.

There is some myth that tracking down abuse to an individual is harder on NAT I assure you it is incredibly easy.

Thankfully it has been the service that has attracted the least abuse of all to be honest.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Looks like lowendstock.com is still running, and lists a few that I think are missing here.

• Thankfully it has been the service that has attracted the least abuse of all to be honest.

I really wasn't expecting that.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

@limited said:

Nothing extra is specifically logged just because it is NAT I don't specifically monitor user activities just like on any other service, that would be unacceptable I would have thought?

It's just react on abuse, outside of the standard things like tor, torrents etc which people specifically agree not to use prior to sign up that are monitored at a network level it is a case of getting the abuse report and dealing with it.

There is some myth that tracking down abuse to an individual is harder on NAT I assure you it is incredibly easy.

This.
    No matter what you answer, it will upset some people.
    If you tell them you log everything, the privacy people goes ballistic with claims about their privacy.

On the other hand, if you tell them that nothing is logged, the abusers think they have free roam to do whatever they like.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Nekki said:
    I want LES-style IPv4 NAT OVZ plans.

I have the following NAT:

>
    • Deepnet Solutions
    • >
    • Gullo's Hosting
    • >
    • Inception Hosting
    • >
    • Mr.VM
    • >
    • Wishosting
    • >

I went back on LET offer posts about 1 year and only found one other NAT offer from scanning titles (Secure Dragon).

Any suggestions/offers?

Thank.

There are plans for expanding down under.
    Updates as I get them. :)

• @doghouch said:

@FAT32 said:
    You want NAT VPS in Pakistan under my basement? However it is 3Mbps only

isn’t it 40gbps

that's the ddos protection

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

I have a bunch of LES-style NAT VPS and they mostly work fine. I had a "collect 'em all" approach at first, when the number of available locations was fairly low. I slowed down after a while but still found them hard to resist, since a VPS in exotic location X must come in handy once in a while, and they are unbelievably cheap.

I guess it's no worse than regular VPS addiction (they are cheap) but what I found, at least with my own applications, is:

1) I almost never find actual uses for most of the weird locations. I do use a few of them but the rest are essentially always idle.

2) The more common locations are decently served by hourly cloud providers like DO, Vultr, etc. If I wanted an Australian VPS for an afternoon for some reason, I could spin up a Vultr instance in Sydney for less than a penny an hour. So having a NAT instance running all year there even at LES prices is not really worthwhile, unless it will be used more than just occasionally.

That said, it's just more idlers and I'm used to having them so it's no big deal. I believe I have most of the Inception locations plus a couple of non-Inception.

• psb777psb777 Member
    edited February 2018

@Cam said:

@omelas said:

@Cam said:

@limited said:

All combined.

By "logging every packet" I assume that's the whole packet rather than metadata only. Are you implying that despite the monthly limit of 125+ GB (for the minimum plan), all of your customers produce about 2 - 8 GB traffic per month in total?

Also, in your TOS you forbid "Open proxies or Private proxies". Does personal VPN count as private proxies? If I use one of your NAT plans as personal VPN and generate 100GB traffic per month, will that produce too much log and annoy you? ;-)

Edit: Found @Cam specifically allowed personal VPN usage here.

• @Cam said:

Is this even legally allowed, though? It's not that I care, I don't really have anything to hide, but as I can't find anything related to this in your ToS I'm wondering if this is allowed, especially with GDPR around the corner.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I assume Cam is just talking about switch flows, either that or he has to cover the costs of a petebyte server longside every node for logging.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I assume Cam is just talking about switch flows, either that or he has to cover the costs of a petebyte server longside every node for logging.

Ah, that makes much more sense, I guess I misinterpreted his post.

@solaire said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Ah, that makes much more sense, I guess I misinterpreted his post.

Yep, Basically just the To and the From of each packet. The actual packet data isn't stored.

Thanked by 1solaire
  • Cut up a cantaloupe and leave it out. You get a lot of gnats.

• @FAT32 said:
    You want NAT VPS in Pakistan under my basement? However it is 3Mbps only

For exotic location I think it's not a problem - some people maybe just buy it and idle it.