Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ?

13»

Comments

• @vimalware said:
    Oh gosh.

My eyes have been opened.

I'm cancelling all dedicated servers and storage under my hetzner account.

I am moving it all to a 256mb kvm on Softlayer for the same budget.

If you care about your data, then by all means, yes.
    Decent services aren't cheap..

• suckers said: P.S. - And no, I've cancelled my order and deleted my account, decided to give my money to a company that cares...

dragging out 5 year old stories about them being compromised -really? I was a customer before and still am, haven't lost a single byte yet. fanboy? most likely, never had issues in more than ten years...

see, that's why they're luckily doing that process this way. getting rid of potential troublesome customers before those even access any systems...

it's simply your attitude and high horse that sorts you into that category. good luck to any provider that needs to deal with you sooner or later.

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

@Falzo said:

suckers said: P.S. - And no, I've cancelled my order and deleted my account, decided to give my money to a company that cares...

dragging out 5 year old stories about them being compromised -really? I was a customer before and still am, haven't lost a single byte yet. fanboy? most likely, never had issues in more than ten years...

see, that's why they're luckily doing that process this way. getting rid of potential troublesome customers before those even access any systems...

it's simply your attitude and high horse that sorts you into that category. good luck to any provider that needs to deal with you sooner or later.

True hurts, right? Specially when it goes against something that it was decided as being the "right choice".

I stop reading after the:

fanboy? most likely

No rational discussion is sufficient enough to oppose favoritism... If what was said is still not sufficient then nothing is.
    Hope you don't become a victim of your blinded favoritism...

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2018

suckers said: If you care about your data, then by all means, yes. Decent services aren't cheap..

And tell us once more why are you registered in LOW END TALK? Just to shill for rsync.net?

Now, you are a complete shill for, maybe, rsync.net or you just want to trash Hetzner. And you are doing it in purpose.

• You sign here and your very first post is a... question on what LET members are suggesting to use, hetzner or rsync.net. (And your only posts till now are just in this thread, not any other contribution to any other thread).
    • At first, you seem to post legitimate questions. But after some posts where people are telling you that hetzner is a very good solution, especially for the price, you start to... argue with them saying that hetzner does not offer rsync, they don't reveal the specs of the storage boxes etc.
    • After signing up to Hetzner, they requested from you some ID validation papers (as all the hosting providers should do, IMHO). You are frustrated because you have being asked late on Friday and the validation department is working only on office hours.
    • Then you are trashing Hetzner as a low quality insecure provider, because there was a hack in early 2013 (!!!) when customer details where leaked (almost every major internet company had such a leak in their operating days, including Google, Yahoo, MS, LinkedIn, DropBox, LastFM, MySpace, Adobe, Neopets, Tumblr etc.). And this ends to be your only argument on how crappy, insecure and poor company Hetzner is.
    • You are saying that their service is shitty, but you never ended having actually a hetzner service by yourself.
    • Then, you attack other members for not choosing security over price, with ridiculous statements:

suckers said: ts already clear that your preference is on the price, even if that implies a subscription to a shitty service. I can only wish you the best of luck! If Hetzner gets hacked again and your data is compromised or lost, you can still be happy because at the end you still found the cheapest deal :)

suckers said: When will people stop believing in Santa?...

suckers said: People will either see the light for themselves, or they'll become victims. Trying to change their minds is fruitless...

suckers said: I can also do this exercise, you only say stupid things, therefore that makes of you an idiot? :)

suckers said: Hope you don't become a victim of your blinded favoritism...

So, why did you initially opened this thread, when you are clearly bash Hetzner not for their performance (after all, you hav never try them) but because they are insecure for an incident 5 (!!!) years ago? And why did you ask for advice to a community that is focused on finding cheap prices, when you bash their members on preferring them?

I would suggest you not only close your Hetzner account but asking for a full deletion on your LET account. You clearly don't like us and I guess it is mutual from us...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@suckers your tone regarding hetzner as a possible host vs rsync.net has gone from fairly neutral to 100% aggressive against hetzner in no time and you are a new account here so it is understandable that people will assume the worst.

from a neutral perspective it does escalate quickly and seemingly without good reason, as such I am popping this in offtopic to remove it from google as I do not believe any neutrality or fairness has been observed.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @suckers your tone regarding hetzner as a possible host vs rsync.net has gone from fairly neutral to 100% aggressive against hetzner in no time and you are a new account here so it is understandable that people will assume the worst.

from a neutral perspective it does escalate quickly and seemingly without good reason, as such I am popping this in offtopic to remove it from google as I do not believe any neutrality or fairness has been observed.

Yes you have to abide in favor of your beloved users.. how surprisingly...

suckers said: Yes you have to abide in favor of your beloved users.. how surprisingly...

Why so aggressive/sarcastic?

I told you why I have taken action if there was never any intent behind your post it should not make the slightest difference to you, so why do you feel it is OK to talk to me like that?

Thanked by 3Amitz ucxo ShihabSoft
  • @suckers said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yes you have to abide in favor of your beloved users.. how surprisingly...

You're playing with fire.

• @AnthonySmith said:

suckers said: Yes you have to abide in favor of your beloved users.. how surprisingly...

Why so aggressive/sarcastic?

I told you why I have taken action if there was never any intent behind your post it should not make the slightest difference to you, so why do you feel it is OK to talk to me like that?

If a description of an user experience to a service (Hetzner) is not taken as an act of "neutrality or fairness" I don't know what it is.

I started the thread asking for a storage service, after watching the responses of the majority of the users I decided to give Hetzer a go (what is more neutral than that?).
    After the terrible experience, I decided to alert potential users about it (sort of public service) just as I would do it if the experience had been good. In fact that was what I did with rscyn.net (which I don't have any sort of affiliation whatsoever) and which was a totally different experience.

I tried to outline all concerning points with Hetzner, in a constructing manner, illustrating what happened (vague product description, lack of support, no responses for 3 days... etc) . I've even outlined one concerning point of one of their employees providing incorrect information about their privacy retention data (possibly not intentionally).

Notwithstanding the majority of the users here didn't react to it lightly, (I even reported a few comments as inappropriate and nothing happened) possibly given the fact that some are shills and fanboys of Hetzner, as some explicitly admitted. Strangely this fact in itself doesn't count to the neutrality/fairness policy of the forum.

An user even pointed out that Hetzner only gets high praise in this forum and not elsewhere (which also corroborates this sort of favoritism) so I'm not the only one noticing this.

And despite all, at the end you've decided to remove any crawling of this thread from google, in order to avoid propagation of information that is not neutral or fair, if that isn't biased what could be?

I was a bit sarcastic and I apologize, but as you can imagine after reviewing all the information in this thread, it seems to me that LET forum seems to favor some providers in favor of others...without any real justification.
    Which is sad, since I was under the impression that his is not the case.

I apologize for the bluntness, but I like to speak my mind. Hence, if you think I violate any sort of rule in this forum and as a consequence you want to terminate my account, feel free to do it.
    At the end we are all looking for our "safe space".

edited February 2018

yeah fair enough, I just re-read the thread I admit I missed the part where you said you signed up with them a few days ago after your OP, I also have to admit I had not noticed this thread before today so I had taken this as a <24 hour time line.

My mistake.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    yeah fair enough, I just re-read the thread I admit I missed the part where you said you signed up with them a few days ago after your OP, I also have to admit I had not noticed this thread before today so I had taken this as a <24 hour time line.

My mistake.

Thank you!

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

suckers said: After the terrible experience

Experiences vary and it sometimes happens that someone hits problems that didn't happen to other people. Their reports are valuable because if we only hear about the good experiences we might mistakenly believe it's always smooth sailing.

In your case you had the same experience that everyone else has: ID confirmation done during business hours and not-so-great transatlantic network, both of which have been remarked on here many times and that go into people's informed decisions. Your experience wasn't worse than anyone else's. You didn't hit any new problems. You simply decided to be a louder complainer and whiner than others here, without conveying any new information.

The security incident of 5 years ago is a red herring (I think it may even have only affected Hetzner's South American site, not the European ones) since we don't know if Rsync's defenses are better or if Rsync is simply too small to have gotten attacked yet. Similarly with the ID checks: rsync.net might not need them since if all they offer is backups, their product line has much less abuse potential than a dedicated server host's does.

Obviously it's fine if your priorities are different from ours: there's nothing wrong with your wanting a luxury product and being willing to pay for it. In fact it's admirable. But you chose to bring that approach to a community whose defining characteristic (it's right in the site name) is using economy products and dealing with their issues. We use that stuff with our eyes open, we're happy that we're getting our stuff done at considerable savings, and so the reception you're getting when you treat us like idiots is exactly the one you should expect.

(And no we're not blind Hetzner zealots: Hetzner has its issues that we know about, making it suboptimal for some things. It also does certain things very well, so we recognize that too).

• @willie said: In your case you had the same experience that everyone else has:

Completely agree with @willie, and I even grudgingly called Hetzner the LET-messiah a few weeks ago, but this was more a comment on how everyone seemed to fall on their knees before Hetzner's cloud offer. Although I've sobered up since, I'm still resisting the temptation. :-)

• I'm refraining from responding to the rest, but

suckers said: In any case other companies do work after business hours, being capable to reply within a few minutes after any inquire (not like Hetzner that takes 3 days)

I see that as a combination of scale (yeah other companies might get back to you faster, but they probably aren't as big either. I know Online.net can be sluggish at responding to mail too), and people having time off.

Personally I don't see it as a problem when the team involved actually has the weekend off. If your order comes in late Friday, then them not dealing with it to mid to late Monday seems reasonable (assuming there are others they need to deal with first before processing yours).

Maybe they could do a staggered work week so someone is there to (nearly) always deal with issues, but as most people will be using the service M-F it seems reasonable to only have billing/marketing staff working then.

Note that unlike the US, UK and other countries, Sunday tends not to be a work day in Germany. Shops & businesses are rarely open (a handful of Sundays throughout the year) except for take-aways, cinemas, emergency services and what not.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • suckers said: After the terrible experience

lol, my condolences, maybe this will help:

• Hetzner_OL said: AFAIK I am the only one being paid by our marketing team to post responses on social media on behalf of Hetzner Online. We're not paying for any shilling.

Damn. So many of us were hoping you would hire us for that. Oh well. ;)

• tarasis said: I see that as a combination of scale (yeah other companies might get back to you faster, but they probably aren't as big either. I know Online.net can be sluggish at responding to mail too), and people having time off.

>

The bigger the company, the more likely HR will actually enforce time off regulations and whatnot.