Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(Hetzner) Storage box or Rsync.net ?

Comments

• That's fine if your backups are located in the VPS server, otherwise it won't provide any gain I'm afraid..

• @suckers said:
    How long it takes for a storage box account to be provisioned once the order was submitted?
    Their page says it will take a few minutes, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Is it your first Hetzner order? If so, it might have to be authorised by their sales department.

• akhfa said:

Actually I always want to try to add a hetzner vps in front of the storage box to see if the speed improved,

I don't think it will help. Re provisioning time: yes you may have to be manually onboarded (passport scan yada yada, and they may be away for the weekend giving you a 2 day wait) but after that it is instant.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

I've just received this auto message from them:

As a new customer, we kindly request that you provide us with a copy (scan/photo) of your passport or ID card for authentication purposes. You can blur or block out information that is not necessary for authentication.

Please would you send the document by fax or as an email attachment to this email address. The document submitted will be deleted in our system with immediate effect after checking it.

2 day wait? Passport scan?? Away on the weekend??

I'm subscribing to a quota in their filesystem, not exactly applying for a home loan... and I cannot wait for the weekend. If they require this data in the first place why it was not requested during the account registration? They also don't mention anything about passport/ID scan in their docs.

Their docs also have incorrect messages in terms of their storage box availability:

We generally process all standard servers in the AX, EX and PX series, as well as the SX61 and all vServer models (CX series), servers from bidding (SB series) and Storage Boxes (BX series) within just a few minutes after confirming the order. (Any special cases are listed towards the end of this text.) In exceptional cases, the processing time for standard servers, vServers and StorageBoxes may take a maximum of one workday*.

Forget it, I will go to rsync.net instead, even if its more expensive. There are simply too many red flags with Hetzner...

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

suckers said:

2 day wait? Passport scan?? Away on the weekend??

Well today's Friday and yeah, most offices close on weekends. If you work in an office, do YOU work on weekends? Obviously the data center ops are there 24/7 to keep the servers running, but the paperwork department is a normal office with normal business hours. Anyway, have fun with your 10x as expensive rsync.net plan. I've always heard good things about them.

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

As a matter of fact I do work in one IT company and although I don't work on weekends, since I'm not in support/operations, there's always someone from the support department available to assist in any inquiries/problems that the customer might have. And all information required for the account registration and ToS is public listed on the company's website, so any potential client can consult that before they initiate the registration, this is the normal standard in any decent IT company.

Just as a contrast, I've just subscribe to one account on rsync.net. Payment was already made and I already have access to their servers. What a difference...

Are they cheaper than Hetzner? No, although their price per GB per month is cheaper than the entry level of the Hetzner storage box.

10x more? They are expensive but not that much I challenge you to do the maths again (you might be surprised).

In any case, good service is not cheap and I rather have that.

• @suckers said:

Once again we see that there is no shortage of @suckers

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

suckers said: And all information required for the account registration and ToS is public listed on the company's website, so any potential client can consult that before they initiate the registration,

Not sure if the passport scan is listed on Hetzner's site but it's well known around here. The issue isn't whether it's on the site but whether there's anyone around to process it during the weekend. It's possible there is, but I wouldn't count on it. Since it's a 1 time operation I'd rather just deal with the inconvenience once, than pay every month for someone to be there around the clock handling that stuff.

suckers said:

Are they cheaper than Hetzner? No, although their price per GB per month is cheaper than the entry level of the Hetzner storage box.

Hetzner's lowest is 100GB at 2.9 euro, i.e. 3.6 cents/GB so I'd consider that small plan to be unattractive. Rsync is 8 cents/GB at that level, so ok, only >2x as expensive when you're not using enough storage for it to matter. Hetzner gets more reasonable at the 2TB level which is 0.6 cents/GB vs 6 cents for sync, so rsync is 10x as expensive there. Rsync gets better at 10TB where it's 4 cents/GB while Hetzner is 0.5 cents, so rsync is a mere 8x as expensive, looks like a real bargain! Send your dollars now!

This is LET. If you want high end and expensive, you are on the wrong site.

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

@willie said:

suckers said:

Hetzner's lowest is 100GB at 2.9 euro, i.e. 3.6 cents/GB so I'd consider that small plan to be unattractive. Rsync is 8 cents/GB at that level, so ok, a mere 2x as expensive. Hetzner gets more reasonable at the 2TB level which is 0.6 cents/GB vs 6 cents for sync, so rsync is 10x as expensive there. Rsync gets better at 10TB where it's 4 cents/GB while Hetzner is 0.5 cents, so rsync is a mere 8x as expensive, looks like a real bargain! Send your dollars now!

rsync.net is 3 cents per GB per month, so 0.6 cents per GB cheaper than the entry level on Hetzner. The same is not applicable though in the higher plans.
    You can validate the claim on the link below:

https://www.rsync.net/signup/signup_offer.html?code=f0a35f

This is LET. If you want high end and expensive, you are on the wrong site.

I want a transparent and secure service with a good level of support when things go wrong, which given the experience doesn't seem to be the case with Hetzner. Apparently they got hacked some time ago being the customer data compromised by the attackers.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Hetzner-web-hosting-service-hacked-customer-data-copied-1884574.html

But for you apparently the price is the most important factor, even if at the cost of security and support..

So yeah, good luck in putting your data in there.

• suckers said:

rsync.net is 3 cents per GB per month,

Not according to http://rsync.net/pricing.html .

Where do you see that?

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • @willie said:

suckers said:

rsync.net is 3 cents per GB per month,

Not according to http://rsync.net/pricing.html .

Where do you see that?

Here - https://www.rsync.net/signup/signup_offer.html?code=f0a35f

• How do you get to that page though? Like where on the main site or is like a special email offer or something.

• @Ewok said:
    How do you get to that page though? Like where on the main site or is like a special email offer or something.

From here :

http://www.rsync.net/products/attic.html

Thanked by 1Ewok
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2018

Special offer, but ok, yes that helps considerably, so it's only 5x more at 2TB. Thanks. If you want to pay even more, tarsnap.com is supposed to be fantastic.

• XeiXei Member
    edited February 2018

This thread reads like a shill for rsync.net.

• TLDR: probable rsync shill tries to move goalpost to compare rsinc.net prices against hetzner's entry level storage box on Friday night.

( while most here would be going for 1TB/2TB plans at minimum.)

rsinc.net 'competing' on price made me laugh.

That said, I've heard nothing but good things about rsinc.net. They've been around forever in backup space and will be around as long as Hetzner in my estimation.

So what does the rational buyer do? Pick the cheaper one with comparable technical chops backing it.

• @willie said:

Special offer, but ok, yes that helps considerably, so it's only 5x more at 2TB. Thanks. If you want to pay even more, tarsnap.com is supposed to be fantastic.

Its already clear that your preference is on the price, even if that implies a subscription to a shitty service.
    I can only wish you the best of luck! If Hetzner gets hacked again and your data is compromised or lost, you can still be happy because at the end you still found the cheapest deal :)

People will either see the light for themselves, or they'll become victims. Trying to change their minds is fruitless...

• @suckers said:

@willie said:

Its already clear that your preference is on the price, even if that implies a subscription to a shitty service.
    I can only wish you the best of luck! If Hetzner gets hacked again and your data is compromised or lost, you can still be happy because at the end you still found the cheapest deal :)

People will either see the light for themselves, or they'll become victims. Trying to change their minds is fruitless...

Clearly buying Hetzner is only because of the price. It's cheap, it must be a SHIT service! I need to verify my identity so they can make sure I'm not stealing someone's payment methods? Must be trash!

Hetzner hacked? OVH got DDoSed, so they're shit too!

Hetzner is such a shit company man. It's not like they turned the cloud market on its head with their quality cloud solutions or anything. I don't know why everyone recommends Hetzner auction servers - you can't even choose an OS template? VNC? Shit company!

Thanked by 2vimalware Wolveix
  • suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

@derpydm said:

Clearly buying Hetzner is only because of the price. It's cheap, it must be a SHIT service! I need to verify my identity so they can make sure I'm not stealing someone's payment methods? Must be trash!

Hetzner hacked? OVH got DDoSed, so they're shit too!

Hetzner is such a shit company man. It's not like they turned the cloud market on its head with their quality cloud solutions or anything. I don't know why everyone recommends Hetzner auction servers - you can't even choose an OS template? VNC? Shit company!

Do you really want to compare a DDoS attack with a hack where customer data, including private keys, were compromised?
    Curiously enough I've never heard of any type of successful attack on rsync.net, I wonder why...
    Despite all, some people still feels comfortable enough in providing even more data ( passport scan and ID ) to a company where customer data was compromised in the past.. what could possibly go wrong?

Anyone that chooses a backup service is primarily looking to avoid data loss, normally because it wants to safeguard its data (that's my goal at least). So why would I choose to put it at risk in order to spare a few bucks?

Reliable and secure services does cost money, there's no such thing as free lunches.

When will people stop believing in Santa?...

• suckers said:

Anyone that chooses a backup service is primarily looking to avoid data loss, normally because it wants to safeguard its data (that's my goal at least). So why would I choose to put it at risk in order to spare a few bucks?

If rsync.net doesn't encrypt your data, it is at risk. You want Tarsnap.com. You seem to like burning money so it sounds perfectly suited to you. (Really, it is a fantastic product, it's just way outside LET pricing). Alternatively, figure out how to encrypt your own data. Re the passport scans: they are deleted after Hetzner validates them.

Did you actually want any advice or are you just here to troll us about rsync.net? We all know about it, we have nothing against it, but we are a community (see the "low end" in low end talk) built around the idea that pricing actually matters. If it doesn't matter to you, then congratulations! I'm sure plenty of us here would be happy to accept cash handouts from you.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Google got hacked -> Clearly Google is a shit company.

:D

Mark Zuck has his job laptop's camera and mic disabled by hardware? -> IF FB can't assuringly protect its boss, imagine what happens with the user data -> Clearly FB is a shit company.

Let's face it. The only non-shit companies are the ones @suckers use.

• @deluxe said:
    Google got hacked -> Clearly Google is a shit company.

Mark Zuck has his job laptop's camera and mic disabled by hardware? -> IF FB can't assuringly protect its boss, imagine what happens with the user data -> Clearly FB is a shit company.

Let's face it. The only non-shit companies are the ones @suckers use.

I can also do this exercise, you only say stupid things, therefore that makes of you an idiot? :)

• Its amusing to see all the Hetzner fanboys.
    Let's hope they don't get hacked again and your data goes belly up or get in the hands of somebody else along with your passports.
    I'm already imagining the reactions:

..my data was lost but at the end I'm still happy since I saved a few bucks

Let me get the popcorns :)

• @suckers said:
    Its amusing to see all the Hetzner fanboys.

We are not fanboys, we are shills. Hetzner pays us, what did you think, we're some kind of @suckers ?

@suckers said:
    I can also do this exercise, you only say stupid things, therefore that makes of you an idiot? :)

Were the assertion correct, so would have been the conclusion. Logic, some humans have it.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • You must be a shill to defend Hetzner after that disaster. It's inexcusable.

I find it funny Hetzner only gets high praise here on the forums, but on Discord it's not quite the same story.

Thanked by 1suckers
  • @vovler said:
    rsync.net is 8 cents per GB, ouch. $80 for 1TB

Use the HN discount for 4 cents/GB. Find it here:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13472660

Thanked by 1suckers
  • @abjr said:

@vovler said:
    rsync.net is 8 cents per GB, ouch. $80 for 1TB

Use the HN discount for 4 cents/GB. Find it here:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13472660

If you are willing to do the snapshots by yourself then its even cheaper, 3 cents per GB per month:

https://www.rsync.net/signup/signup_offer.html?code=f0a35f

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi @suckers and other LET readers (It seems strange to write "Hi suckers," but there you go.)
    For new customers, we often do ask for ID because we find this helps us to prevent abuse further down the road. It's not a personal judgement. Our prices attract a lot of the usual suspects, so we must try to filter them out.
    A passport is always accepted as an ID as long as it is in English or German.
    Our team who reviews orders works normal business hours. So they would have either confirmed or denied your order first this this morning. (BTW I am only here during normal business hours, too.)
    The ID check is only for new customers.
    The data we use for the ID check is deleted within a month after you make the order in accordance with German data protection laws.
    German law gives customers a 14-day "cooling off period" in which you can cancel an order. I am not sure if @suckers ever actually completed your order with us. If you did and you have decided to not keep your storage box, please make sure to cancel your order in a timely manner so you do not pay for it.
    AFAIK I am the only one being paid by our marketing team to post responses on social media on behalf of Hetzner Online. We're not paying for any shilling.
    --Katie, Marketing

• suckerssuckers Member
    edited February 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi @suckers and other LET readers (It seems strange to write "Hi suckers," but there you go.)
    For new customers, we often do ask for ID because we find this helps us to prevent abuse further down the road. It's not a personal judgement. Our prices attract a lot of the usual suspects, so we must try to filter them out.
    A passport is always accepted as an ID as long as it is in English or German.
    Our team who reviews orders works normal business hours. So they would have either confirmed or denied your order first this this morning. (BTW I am only here during normal business hours, too.)
    The ID check is only for new customers.
    The data we use for the ID check is deleted within a month after you make the order in accordance with German data protection laws.
    German law gives customers a 14-day "cooling off period" in which you can cancel an order. I am not sure if @suckers ever actually completed your order with us. If you did and you have decided to not keep your storage box, please make sure to cancel your order in a timely manner so you do not pay for it.
    AFAIK I am the only one being paid by our marketing team to post responses on social media on behalf of Hetzner Online. We're not paying for any shilling.
    --Katie, Marketing

With all due respect and judging by your reply I don't think you are familiarized with your company data retention policy.
    For instance, in the email I've received it states that data (like passport or ID scan) is destroyed immediately after verification, now you say that data is deleted within a month a new order is made.
    This doesn't surprise me, the procedures are so shady that even the Hetzner's employees are not aware of it (or they misinformed the customer, which is even more grave)

This was the exact exert that was extracted by the mail message that you company sent, after I've registered the account (this cannot be found anywhere in the ToS, which is another concerning factor)

"Please would you send the document by fax or as an email attachment to this email address. The document submitted will be deleted in our system with immediate effect after checking it."

In any case other companies do work after business hours, being capable to reply within a few minutes after any inquire (not like Hetzner that takes 3 days), don't require any nonsensical data to avoid abuse (like sending a fake passport scan was something very difficult to adulterate) and they are total transparent regarding the services/product they offer with a full description (contrary to your company) and they haven't compromised customer data like your company did.

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Hetzner-web-hosting-service-hacked-customer-data-copied-1884574.html

So all in all Hetzner is a no deal and taking all this into account it becomes very expensive to become your customer (even if you have the cheapest price, which is not the case).

P.S. - And no, I've cancelled my order and deleted my account, decided to give my money to a company that cares...

• Oh gosh.

My eyes have been opened.

I'm cancelling all dedicated servers and storage under my hetzner account.

I am moving it all to a 256mb kvm on Softlayer for the same budget.