Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Providers, what are your Anti-SPAM measures? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Providers, what are your Anti-SPAM measures?

2»

Comments

• JoseQueso said: unfortunately

Keep working on that post count since your account is new

• JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 2018

@doughmanes said:

JoseQueso said: unfortunately

Keep working on that post count since your account is new

ty babe u 2. need to catch up!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2018

@6ixth said:
    I'm waiting on Mxroute allowing SMTP relay on standard plans :(

While we do allow it (you're responsible for the setup though), if you send a few thousand per month, we'd kindly ask you to signup for mxroute.io instead :-).

@muffin said:

@6ixth said:

Will most likely not happen. https://mxroute.com plans are super cheap, often less than $10 / year if you are a light user and only gets them on promotions. If you check https://www.mailchannels.com/reseller/whmcs-module/ , each sub account will cost $1 / month = $12 / year excluding any outgoing emails, so that’s already a loss.

This is the only argument I use when I'm asked for 1k email plans @ MXroute.io. We simply can't do it.
    We still have some stock @ www.mxroute.io/LET.html but that's really the best we can do for our fellow members here. Trust me, if we could do better, we would.

@6ixth said:

@jetchirag said:

@6ixth said:

That'd again be costly for high limits than standard plans. Gleert did pretty good sale last Black Friday still doesn't covers it

Depending on how many emails your customers send? I'm sure you can get LET prices as well if you PM Miguel. I'm specifically waiting on being able to use my Mxroute.com account which has unlimited everything but 40GB of storage.

Still, imagine if a client sends 50k emails per month, that wouldn't work, at all.
    We need to apply some soft limits to avoid relaying thousands of emails on accounts that cost $10 USD per year. It's obviously not doable, and we want to do things right here.
    We like to keep things affordable and sustainable, and that comes with limits that allow us to do such prices.

For the MXroute.io brand, well, last time I posted here, I didn't get any sales though I had many requests for such small packages. Usage isn't noticeable, but subaccounts getting paid every month are, so even if we profit 5 eur per year, it still need to be worth for us.
    2k for 20 EUR per year is really the minimum we can do. It's also possible to order 5k for 30 EUR and 10k for 40 EUR. All this per year, recurring. I would argue that such prices are definitely within the LET limits, 10k emails is a lot of emails to be sent.

• i thought jarland owned mxroute, now i'm confused

• He is partnering with
    @MikePt
    (aka elcheapo but aren't we all).

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited February 2018

that makes sense, ty. double the ceo's double the $. deal me in.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • The .io version is a joint venture with @jarland and @mikept.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • JoseQueso said: non-techies shouldn't be fiddling around with websites. much better to do apt-get install nginx php

What are you trying to prove here? It's been long past that statement was made invalid!

• One day @virmach suspend my vps because my shared hosting customer send spam. I just disable email completely.

edited February 2018

@jetchirag said:

JoseQueso said: non-techies shouldn't be fiddling around with websites. much better to do apt-get install nginx php

What are you trying to prove here? It's been long past that statement was made invalid!

Bjarne mentioned problems with his hosting account in the 2015 interview. I think you can get way more value for your money over a VPS as compared to a shared hosting account. All the user has to learn is how to connect with PuTTY and run a couple apt-get's. A lot of shared hosting offers don't offer pure DDoS protection like RamNode or BuyVM do. Sometimes the user will have to install and re-compile GoLang just to implement generics so they can add those software level iptables.. I mean, for a shared hosting user to do that, would be very troublesome imo. A VPS user, imo, gets your hands more dirtier so you will be ready for the layer 7 attacks.

But I mean sibaper is right to an extent, I just unfortunately disagree. Especially since golang doesn't even fucking have generics and you have to pull the damn separate fork for Generics and then re-compile golang. It's just silly to get proper iptables to work on shared accounts. But it is possible however.

• JoseQueso said: Bjarne mentioned problems with his hosting account in the 2015 interview. I think you can get way more value for your money over a VPS as compared to a shared hosting account. All the user has to learn is how to connect with PuTTY and run a couple apt-get's. A lot of shared hosting offers don't offer pure DDoS protection like RamNode or BuyVM do. Sometimes the user will have to install and re-compile GoLang just to implement generics so they can add those software level iptables.. I mean, for a shared hosting user to do that, would be very troublesome imo. A VPS user, imo, gets your hands more dirtier so you will be ready for the layer 7 attacks.

So, If I want to host my personal blog which not a single person will bothers to read, I should

1. Learn about VPS
    2. Learn to manage and do all the nasty stuff
    3. Get my hands pretty dirty with anti-ddos stuff
    4. Care about maintenance and security

Even if you switch personal blog with some small business site, hobby, some medium traffic blogs, et cetera. What part of running blogs and hosting website can you not do in shared hosting which will have atleast 2.0 effect on website?

• @JoseQueso don't you think it's a little late to spam LET?

• @jetchirag, you make good points. However, the VPS learning process is not hard really.

In regards to your points:

1. Yes this is the one I agree with you, they will have to do some reading
    2. couple apt-get's or using a LEMP script is cake. Just upload to FTP, set permission to 755 and ./install.sh
    3. dos-deflate and paying for ddos protected IP from RamNode / BuyVM will be their best bet. They don't even have to worry about ddos if they hide their ip appropriately, assuming they have no leakage, and use cloudflare
    4. Meh, I don't really do any maintenance, other than > /var/log/logxxxx.txt every now and then since I hate LogRotates. But that's just me. That could be done as a cronjob however, so again. Maintenance can be automated to some degree as well
  • @maldovia said:
    @JoseQueso don't you think it's a little late to spam LET?

He’s been generating useful posts for the past hour and a half (?) now.

• @doghouch said:

@maldovia said:
    @JoseQueso don't you think it's a little late to spam LET?

He’s been generating useful posts for the past hour and a half (?) now.

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

• @JoseQueso The point still remains intact, why do all of it? For a person who is into hosting, it might make sense but for a non-techie whose primary interest/profession/hobby isn't this, shared hosting is way to go for him.

edited February 2018

@jetchirag said:
    @JoseQueso The point still remains intact, why do all of it? For a person who is into hosting, it might make sense but for a non-techie whose primary interest/profession/hobby isn't this, shared hosting is way to go for him.

Well, I mean you're not wrong I just think people are underestimating themselves and how easy it is now to learn stuff. I mean look at me, I'm literally retarded and I can setup a VPS pretty good. I'm sure bloggers and other people who do professional work are much more smarter than me. :P

• @JoseQueso said:
    4. Meh, I don't really do any maintenance, other than > /var/log/logxxxx.txt every now and then since I hate LogRotates. But that's just me. That could be done as a cronjob however, so again. Maintenance can be automated to some degree as well

Well this is pretty direct and foretelling who you are. Don't you have, like, something better to do?

• @WSS said:
    Well this is pretty direct and foretelling who you are. Don't you have, like, something better to do?

Unfortunately not, but WHT banned me so..

• @JoseQueso said:

@WSS said:

Unfortunately not, but WHT banned me so..

Well, here's hoping for two for two. Have a good one, broham; I'm no longer engaging you.

• @WSS said:
    Well, here's hoping for two for two. Have a good one, broham; I'm no longer engaging you.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I will be there for you, however.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jetchirag said: The point still remains intact, why do all of it? For a person who is into hosting, it might make sense but for a non-techie whose primary interest/profession/hobby isn't this, shared hosting is way to go for him.

I guess it's all in what you want to learn. Because one has to learn about something regardless of which route you take.

Go with shared hosting and they will likely set the DNS for you as you will be buying your domain from them. With a VPS you buy it elsewhere and you need to learn how to point the domain name to the server. Either way, you need to figure out roughly how that works. There's no winning.

Again, for shared hosting you will need to navigate to the correct directory and put your html files there, whereas with a VPS you will have to do "apt-get install apache2" as a step before that. Anybody who's got enough savvy to join a forum is already at the knowledge level where that's pretty easy stuff. The real difference is if fiddling with that stuff a bit is a bore, then go with shared hosting. It really does take the pressure off and you can just relax and know it's all good. But don't think there's no learning curve in both instances.

Anyway, how did we get here? I just noticed that the subject is about providers' anti spam measures. (sorry)

edited February 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

Anyway, how did we get here? I just noticed that the subject is about providers' anti spam measures. (sorry)

Cause of me, lol. But I mean he's not wrong and I respect his views, really. I just come at it from a different angle where I just expect that professional "blogger" or whatever, to actually want to learn/do it because it's pretty easy. But on the flip side, it does involve quite a bit more steps.

Heaven forbid I say anything about shared vs VPS on WHT though..

• You'll require more maintenance with anything above the difficulty level of shared hosting. I'm not saying that shared hosting is all golden. But those views are from vision of someone who is experienced in servers.

A lot of things may go wrong with unmanaged VPS and to solve them, you'll either end up paying someone high or spending time in your own skills just to host a site.

Ole_Juul said: Anyway, how did we get here? I just noticed that the subject is about providers' anti spam measures.

Isn't this LET in a sentence!

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul vovler
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I use RBL in cPanel and some custom RBL and default spam filter with custom filter. I continuously add some spam words in filter but it can only stop them If they use full text. (Not regex because of it can affect normal email)

Due to some custom RBL added in my server, I rarely receive spam.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

For shared hosting, I have found doing these 2 things to be very effective:

1) force all outgoing smtp traffic to go through the system mta

2) scanning all outgoing email with spamassassin

Thanked by 1WSS