Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting Providers, what are your Anti-SPAM measures?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting Providers, what are your Anti-SPAM measures?

jetchiragjetchirag Member
edited February 2018 in General

Hey,

Again, I'm looking at some more possibilities, suggestions or recommendations on this topic. Pricing on LET won't buy most providers mailchannel or other outgoing relay with filters. Like Francisco has his own scripts system

I wrote a few script to assist or automate things. One is to get mass senders from exim log and suspend outgoing email for them. Some are for reporting which I no longer use.

Now, what else do you guys use?

Or shall I..
  1. .18 votes
    1. Let the SPAM flow?
      33.33%
    2. Live in mountains
      66.67%

Comments

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited February 2018

I'm waiting on Mxroute allowing SMTP relay on standard plans :(

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @6ixth said:

That'd again be costly for high limits than standard plans. Gleert did pretty good sale last Black Friday still doesn't covers it

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • muffinmuffin Member
    edited February 2018

@6ixth said:

Will most likely not happen. https://mxroute.com plans are super cheap, often less than $10 / year if you are a light user and only gets them on promotions. If you check https://www.mailchannels.com/reseller/whmcs-module/ , each sub account will cost $1 / month = $12 / year excluding any outgoing emails, so that’s already a loss.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • I use mailchannels for email and submit a whole lot of data into influx and ES to spot anomalies - and I actively contact customers when they do stuff that looks semi-spammy.

I'm also not in the LET pricing, so I guess I can afford it.

Thanked by 2MikePT vimalware
  • @jetchirag said:

@6ixth said:

That'd again be costly for high limits than standard plans. Gleert did pretty good sale last Black Friday still doesn't covers it

Depending on how many emails your customers send? I'm sure you can get LET prices as well if you PM Miguel. I'm specifically waiting on being able to use my Mxroute.com account which has unlimited everything but 40GB of storage.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited February 2018

@Zerpy said:
    I use mailchannels for email and submit a whole lot of data into influx and ES to spot anomalies - and I actively contact customers when they do stuff that looks semi-spammy.

I'm also not in the LET pricing, so I guess I can afford it.

I have Mailchannels on non-LE pricing plans but still gotta look for LE plans. Mailchannels works great tho

• 6ixth said: I'm sure you can get LET prices as well if you PM Miguel

I don't think it can get cheaper than those Black Friday'ess therefore, my current mailchannels plan may even satisfy my current volume (which is low) but worth checking other options

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

We are not into shared hosting but monitoring mailqeue with nagios or zabbix and limit amount of outgoing email per customer per hour is pretty standard and straight forward.

• @FR_Michael said:
    We are not into shared hosting but monitoring mailqeue with nagios or zabbix and limit amount of outgoing email per customer per hour is pretty standard and straight forward.

Just did setup some reportings. Let's see how it goes

edited February 2018

You should also start to monitor the biggest spamlists for your ip address. either use mxtoolbox or write a simple script on your own to query the lists.

• @FR_Michael said:
    You should also start to monitor the biggest spamlists for your ip address. either use mxtoolbox or write a simple script on your own to query the lists.

Already have daily monitoring with email and slack push to all major RBLs.

Mass mail problem is already solved now. Main problem is even tho you limit to like 100 per hour, those 100 mails can get you a or more notice. I don't think there's any solution to this now rather than mailchannels

My main reason to open this thread was to discus/see what other providers do

• Mailcheap has also some kind of limiting, may be worth checking it out

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Do you mean inbound spam or outbound spam?

My systems handle outbound only, I just use the standard cPanel (SpamAssassin, etc) to handle inbound.

Francisco

Thanked by 1MikePT

outgoing as he explained in his first post. to avoid getting blacklisted you also can rotate outgoing ip addresses and Scan your outgoing mails with spamassassin and so on

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited February 2018

@jetchirag said:

@FR_Michael said:

Already have daily monitoring with email and slack push to all major RBLs.

Mass mail problem is already solved now. Main problem is even tho you limit to like 100 per hour, those 100 mails can get you a or more notice. I don't think there's any solution to this now rather than mailchannels

My main reason to open this thread was to discus/see what other providers do

Frankly, I don't know how Francisco really manages to deal with the spam problem. Is he really able to catch most of the spam? I guess that, since a shared hosting user at buyvm gets a dedicated IPv4, there's not a single shared IPv4 that could be blacklisted. But still, Francisco seems brave to tackle this problem on his own.

edited February 2018

@Francisco said:
    Do you mean inbound spam or outbound spam?

My systems handle outbound only, I just use the standard cPanel (SpamAssassin, etc) to handle inbound.

Francisco

Outbound spams. That kinda php mail wrapper of yours IIRC.

But since it also limits the account, I guess it'd work same as disabled mail.

@angstrom is right on point, there.

I am now thinking of this:

1. Exception list for user accounts.

2. Cron to disable outgoing features of account but enabling on the ones in exception list.

Seems legit way here. Some inconvenience to users but legit.

• @Francisco said: My systems handle outbound only,

If I may ask, if your outbound spam filter designates an email as spam, is the email simply deleted without notification to the user who tried to send it?

edited February 2018

@angstrom said:

@Francisco said: My systems handle outbound only,

If I may ask, if your outbound spam filter designates an email as spam, is the email simply deleted without notification to the user who tried to send it?

IIRC, it wouldn't let php mail to pass without any notifications. I don't think it is even necessary to have noty.

Thought it was asked to me

Thanked by 1angstrom

@angstrom said:

It's purely a whitelist for the account as a whole, it doesn't try to see if an email is spam or not.

99% of our shared users don't need sendmail or remote SMTP, so I block both and require people ticket for it. Some people get crabby about that or make threads on here/WHT complaining about it, but it's generally not bad.

Francisco

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Francisco said:

@angstrom said:

It's purely a whitelist for the account as a whole, it doesn't try to see if an email is spam or not.

99% of our shared users don't need sendmail or remote SMTP, so I block both and require people ticket for it. Some people get crabby about that or make threads on here/WHT complaining about it, but it's generally not bad.

Francisco

>

So it's kinda what I mentioned above, right? WHM has api or command to suspend outgoing mails since 64 version which I guess should work fine as replacement.

• @Francisco said:

@angstrom said:

I see, it's basically a trust-based system after a user requests and is granted the right to send email.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @jetchirag said: So it's kinda what I mentioned above, right? WHM has api or command to suspend outgoing mails since 64 version which I guess should work fine as replacement.

Yeah, perhaps you should do the same: a user is blacklisted by default but can be whitelisted upon request.

• @angstrom said:

@jetchirag said: So it's kinda what I mentioned above, right? WHM has api or command to suspend outgoing mails since 64 version which I guess should work fine as replacement.

Yeah, perhaps you should do the same: a user is blacklisted by default but can be whitelisted upon request.

Been thinking this since morning. Implementation of this seems pretty easy too! There's just one problem that users don't know mostly about spam being sent.

Will try writing some reportings and auto suspension system something possibly in morning. Thanks fran for sharing and everyone else too

Thanked by 1Francisco

Hello,

We don't use suspend_outgoing_email for that, but we do when a user has multiple SMTP accounts get compromised. It works very well.

Remember, you can call it from CLI if you want to speed things up:

whmapi1 suspend_outgoing_email user=USERNAME

Francisco

Thanked by 2Aidan JohnMiller92
    edited February 2018

Francisco said: whmapi1 suspend_outgoing_email user=USERNAME

Yup, that. Wrote yesterday

I've wrote two script. One is to get top senders from mainlog. If emails sent is higher than xxxx, run that command for it.

If anyone's interested, here's link

• JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 2018

lol shared hosting in 2018

go repent

• @JoseQueso said:

go repent

nothing wrong using shared hosting for non-techie.

Thanked by 3Aidan Ole_Juul lazyt
  • JoseQuesoJoseQueso Member
    edited February 2018

@sibaper said:

@JoseQueso said:

go repent

nothing wrong using shared hosting for non-techie.

non-techies shouldn't be fiddling around with websites. much better to do apt-get install nginx php

• JoseQueso said: lol shared hosting in 2018

It'll always be around

• @doughmanes said:

JoseQueso said: lol shared hosting in 2018

It'll always be around

unfortunately