Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popular Linux End of Life Dates - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Popular Linux End of Life Dates

2»

Comments

• @sureiam said:
    Has a lot to do with my attempt to use it and having to compile 70% of the software I needed to use. Given though it's been nearly 2 decades since then, I'm sure a lot has changed.
    In regards to why I included it here I thought it would be nice to have a list for as many as possible.

Uh.. the ports system has been around for quite awhile. Back in the 2.x days, some things were a little hairy, but that's no longer the case.

• https://linuxlifecycle.com/ has all EOL dates for popular linux OSes

• That's a waste of a web page.

• @WSS said:
    Uh.. the ports system has been around for quite awhile. Back in the 2.x days, some things were a little hairy, but that's no longer the case.

Perhaps it's time to give it another shot. Problem is finding enough time in the day ;). In any case it's all Unix at the end of the day.

• @sureiam said:

@WSS said:

Perhaps it's time to give it another shot. Problem is finding enough time in the day ;). In any case it's all Unix at the end of the day.

Most of the BSDs are easy to use, I mean @angstrom can use NetBSD..

pkg_in, pkg, pkg_add, ports..

• sureiam said: Has a lot to do with my attempt to use it and having to compile 70% of the software I needed to use. Given though it's been nearly 2 decades since then, I'm sure a lot has changed.

Yes a lot has changed about installing, updating, and upgrading. It's been my desktop system for over 8 years now and it has gone from compiling a lot of it (not hard, but sometimes slowish), to having a package system as easy as Debian's You can now just "pkg install program" and update the same way - as easy as any Linux.

• Thanks for the open source community.

• @WSS said: @sureiam said:

@WSS said: Uh.. the ports system has been around for quite awhile. Back in the 2.x days, some things were a little hairy, but that's no longer the case.

Most of the BSDs are easy to use, I mean @angstrom can use NetBSD..

Imagine that!

Things can get a little more difficult if you want to compile all non-base packages (as opposed to simply installing binaries), but if @angstrom can do it, ... well, sometimes, there are compilation errors, so it's not always so straightforward!

• @omelas said:
    as this is LET:

OpenVZ 6 - November 2019

Well it’s claimed it’s first victim (so they claim)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137551/xvm-labs-no-more-renewals

• @tarasis said:

@omelas said:
    as this is LET:

OpenVZ 6 - November 2019

Well it’s claimed it’s first victim (so they claim)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/137551/xvm-labs-no-more-renewals

Ya I'm really curious what Chicago VPS will do. My guess is they'll go to openVZ 7 and kick the can forward. We'll see.