Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Popular Linux End of Life Dates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Popular Linux End of Life Dates

sureiamsureiam Member
edited February 2018 in General

Important dates to keep in mind.

Debian 8 - April 2020

Debian 9 - June 2022

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Apr-2019

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - Apr-2021

CentOS 6 - November 30, 2020

CentOS 7 - June 30, 2024

Cloud Linux - (same as Centos)

FreeBSD stable/11 - September 30, 2021

FreeBSD releng/11.1 (apparently this is the production ready version) - 11.2-RELEASE + 3 months

OpenSuse Tumbleweed - indefinitely. But not considered a "stable" release.

OpenSuse leap major - about 36 months.

Openvz 6 Virtualization Host - November 2019

Obviously I'm missing a lot of them but these are the majority used in most Linux setups. Free to add some more in comments so we can get a running reference thread.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Would upvote so many times. I'll lose my mind if I hear one more time that not supporting EOL distros = not caring about people.

Using EOL distros = not caring about your own stuff :)

Thanked by 2sureiam SwordfishBE
  • CentOS 6 - November 30, 2020

This will be a sad day.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

I thought you said "Important".

03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038,

Thanked by 1rds100
  • WSS said: 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038,

Maybe a reason to move away from 32 bit systems?

• @FrankZ said:
    Maybe a reason to move away from 32 bit systems?

Z80 is all you'll never need.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited February 2018

as this is LET:

OpenVZ 6 - November 2019

Thanked by 2sureiam tarasis
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited February 2018

@WSS said:
    I thought you said "Important".

03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038,

If you are using a 32bit system in the year 2038 than you probably don't care about end of life ;)

@omelas said:
    as this is LET:

Openvz 6 - November 2019

Good one!

• linuxlifecycle.com?

but not cover all distro or bsd

Thanked by 1sureiam
  • @6ixth said:

This will be a sad day.

The sad day that I’ll finally have to update some of my servers to CentOS 7 (systemd + firewalld cancer) :(

• @doghouch said:

@6ixth said:

This will be a sad day.

The sad day that I’ll finally have to update some of my servers to CentOS 7 (systemd + firewalld cancer) :(

Systemd will be it's own kernel by then.

Thanked by 3Ole_Juul mksh lion
  • @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@6ixth said:

This will be a sad day.

I refuse to enter systemctl!!!!!!! Seriously, it’s pretty bad. I miss my upstart :(

(By the way, I just saw your post. My condolences go to you and your family.)

• sureiam said: FreeBSD stable/11 - September 30, 2021

The 11.0 version has reached end of life. Looks like somebody doesn't understand the FreeBSD release model. Why quote stable? That's the stable development version and it has bugs. Regular desktop users and all production machines use a version called RELEASE. The current one is FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE. It will be supported until 3 months after the release of 11.2.

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:

@6ixth said:

This will be a sad day.

Well, at least you can remove firewalld

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • lionlion Member
    edited February 2018

Don't show this to cociu

• @omelas said:
    as this is LET:

OpenVZ 6 - November 2019

Hopefully by then the few OpenVZ's I have will spontaneous re-invent themselves as KVM's

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited February 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

sureiam said: FreeBSD stable/11 - September 30, 2021

The 11.0 version has reached end of life. Looks like somebody doesn't understand the FreeBSD release model. Why quote stable? That's the stable development version and it has bugs. Regular desktop users and all production machines use a version called RELEASE. The current one is FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE. It will be supported until 3 months after the release of 11.2.

Its based on the data from their site. They call it stable and they give that date.

https://www.freebsd.org/security/

@tarasis said:

@omelas said:
    as this is LET:

OpenVZ 6 - November 2019

Hopefully by then the few OpenVZ's I have will spontaneous re-invent themselves as KVM's

One can only hope!

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@6ixth said:

This will be a sad day.

I refuse to enter systemctl!!!!!!! Seriously, it’s pretty bad. I miss my upstart :(

(By the way, I just saw your post. My condolences go to you and your family.)

I, for one, prefer SystemD. Unit files are much cleaner, as the syntax is standardized and all the functionality is already there. Obviously a clear winner over init files, where everyone used different syntax.

• @FHR said:
    I, for one, prefer SystemD. Unit files are much cleaner, as the syntax is standardized and all the functionality is already there.

Now live with it, Neoooooooooooooooon2.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @FHR said:
    I, for one, prefer SystemD.

More like systemd, right?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@mksh said:

@FHR said:

I prefer the big D.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @FHR said:

@mksh said:

@FHR said:

I prefer the big D.

No.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OpenBSD: current version is desupported and replaced twice a year, typically in May and November.

• sureiam said: Its based on the data from their site. They call it stable and they give that date.

That's not the information that's relevant here. I think you misunderstand the use of the word "STABLE" in this case.

People don't (or shouldn't) use the STABLE version on servers. Few people, other than developers, even use that for desktop systems. The information that is needed here is not for the STABLE version because that version is still in development and still has bugs.

The information that is required in this list is for the RELEASE version which is what people use in practice.

It's a good list otherwise, and thanks. :)

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited February 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

sureiam said: Its based on the data from their site. They call it stable and they give that date.

That's not the information that's relevant here. I think you misunderstand the use of the word "STABLE" in this case.

People don't (or shouldn't) use the STABLE version on servers. Few people, other than developers, even use that for desktop systems. The information that is needed here is not for the STABLE version because that version is still in development and still has bugs.

The information that is required in this list is for the RELEASE version which is what people use in practice.

It's a good list otherwise, and thanks. :)

Thanks for the info. I've never used BSD so I'm out of the loop. I'd edit my post but past the point of it being allowed. An admin is welcome correct it though.

• sureiam said: Thanks for the info. I've never used BSD so I'm out of the loop. I'd edit my post but past the point of it being allowed. An admin is welcome correct it though.

Not to worry. :) I was just nitpicking and FreeBSD does have a tricky (read, really odd) way of naming.

• @Ole_Juul said:

This is accurate, and inaccurate. -STABLE also gets many bugfixes before they make it into the latest -RELEASE patchlevel, but it's not -CURRENT. -CURRENT is unstable.

This is also accurate.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @WSS said:

@Ole_Juul said:

This is accurate, and inaccurate. -STABLE also gets many bugfixes before they make it into the latest -RELEASE patchlevel, but it's not -CURRENT. -CURRENT is unstable.

This is also accurate.

Figures the EOL data would be as unnecessarily confusing as the operating system..

• @sureiam said:
    Figures the EOL data would be as unnecessarily confusing as the operating system..

Whats confusing about FreeBSD?

• sureiam said: Figures the EOL data would be as unnecessarily confusing as the operating system..

Not sure why you found that comment necessary, but here we go in true LET fashion. :) Actually I use it because of its simplicity. It's really suitable for an old man who is not a professional and who doesn't have patience and background to figure out MS-Windows. Young folks probably find the Lunuxisms easier to swallow since they've grown up with Windows. In any case, I'm curious why you would need EOL data for a system you're not using.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited February 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

sureiam said: Figures the EOL data would be as unnecessarily confusing as the operating system..

Not sure why you found that comment necessary, but here we go in true LET fashion. :) Actually I use it because of its simplicity. It's really suitable for an old man who is not a professional and who doesn't have patience and background to figure out MS-Windows. Young folks probably find the Lunuxisms easier to swallow since they've grown up with Windows. In any case, I'm curious why you would need EOL data for a system you're not using.

>

Has a lot to do with my attempt to use it and having to compile 70% of the software I needed to use. Given though it's been nearly 2 decades since then, I'm sure a lot has changed.
    In regards to why I included it here I thought it would be nice to have a list for as many as possible.