Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

requesting 10 dedicated servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

requesting 10 dedicated servers

2»

Comments

• @jarland said:

I hear you, and I thank you for any abuse reports you send :)

Just for fun, was the customer with that IP above banned already?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2018

@trnj said:

@jarland said:

Something was done :)

Thanked by 1trnj
  • @jarland said:

@trnj said:

@jarland said:

Something was done :)

Out of curiosity are the majority of abusers from Asia, if so which countries are the top offenders?

• Xei said:

Out of curiosity are the majority of abusers from Asia, if so which countries are the top offenders?

Almost all of my fail2ban recidives are from China if that's what you're asking.

Xei said: Out of curiosity are the majority of abusers from Asia, if so which countries are the top offenders?

While I generally wouldn't answer that question directly, I'll go as far as to say that my view is that this is not the case at all. You have pockets of abuse in certain places at certain times, but pinpointing a problem area on a map is something that will change at least every six months, at most every year.

• @willie said:

Xei said:

Almost all of my fail2ban recidives are from China if that's what you're asking.

Same here, for years now.

willie said: Almost all of my fail2ban recidives are from China if that's what you're asking.

Oh yeah for brute force SSH top 5 goes:

1. China
    2. China
    3. China
    4. China
    5. China
  • @jarland
    Why do they bother trying to brute force ssh if it can be secured by private keys and fail2ban prevents them from taking too many guesses at the password if it is inabled.
    Does it get disabled if the hackers try to connect through ssh multiple times very quickly or something?

edited February 2018

@hammer said:
    @jarland
    Why do they bother trying to brute force ssh if it can be secured by private keys and fail2ban prevents them from taking too many guesses at the password if it is inabled.
    Does it get disabled if the hackers try to connect through ssh multiple times very quickly or something?

I can only assume that enough people are not using keys or fail2ban to justify their continued brute force campaigns. We're talking about what is likely a state sponsored campaign, tbh. It's definitely not "Oh you're from China, you like to spam SSH commands all day." :D

• Jarland do you know if they're always trying to login as root, or guessing random usernames, or what? The usual sshd doesn't log this iirc.

edited February 2018

@willie said:
    Jarland do you know if they're always trying to login as root, or guessing random usernames, or what? The usual sshd doesn't log this iirc.

Yeah if you put up a honeypot it's almost always root, and almost always a list of just a few passwords. More pop in there, but root and stuff like "12345" sit at the top. If you ever want to watch it, this is super fun to do:

https://github.com/desaster/kippo
    https://bruteforcelab.com/kippo-graph

Thanked by 1willie
  • It's too sad because it's easy to use keys or at the absolute least real strong passwords.