Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WP Alternative, Surely something a CMS that's more secure could be made by now? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WP Alternative, Surely something a CMS that's more secure could be made by now?

13»

Comments

• Just as a follow up to

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/136915/wp-alternative-surely-something-a-cms-that-s-more-secure-could-be-made-by-now

I gestured the question about there being a WP alternative, but ideally we could do without the ADHD fluff that adds nothings to the conversation :)

• ricardo said: being an old school coder. It's not hard for me to maintain a site without the needyness of WP, and I'd prefer to avoid the headache of maintaining it.

And you have a fully featured comment system on such a site? Or even any practical comment system at all? I thought not. :)

I'm completely with you in regard to just maintaining a site and not using WP. In fact it's a no-brainer to add a daily section with date at the top, or some such similar. But the thing that really distinguishes WP is the commenting system. People want that. I sometimes do too.

In terms of ubiquity, the only simple solution I've seen is Disqus. Regardless of what you think about it (yes there are issues), I think the reason it's being used all over now is that it can be plugged into any kind of site. Just like WP, any beginner can make it work.

I've asked before, and I've looked around everywhere, and people say it's easy to code and even claim there's lots of code out there already to solve the comment problem. Well show me that code. Give me a snippet I can paste into an html file, or whatever. People simply brag, but they don't code and actually come up with the stuff. Wordpress and Disqus actually have the code. Until someone else gets off their ass and puts some code on the table, we're going to be stuck with those.

PS: There is of course Drupal, but I'm assuming that's not the big kind of system that's wanted here.

• Well I tried to bring that last thread back on track. Not sure if anybody's interested.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm not entirely convinced that the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence, if something replaced it with the same extendability and popularity (which I propose to be dependent on said extendability). I'd sure love to be wrong.

That said, most that I witness who set out to take their position in the market seem to continually lose steam too early on. They set their hopes too high and burn out.

They can't stay in top forever, especially as long as they continue to make no apparent effort to hold their developer community to higher standards. I know that's a lot of work, but they're not a charity, they have an expensive and popular product.

The thing I wonder is: will they be replaced by someone who has been waiting to fall into that slot or someone new? Ghost is a great example of an app just waiting to reach critical mass. Joomla is an easy bet, just not a better one.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

Ole_Juul said: a fully featured comment system

Nowadays, as you alluded to that's simply a disqus/FB include, TBH prettty much the situation for any "enhancement" beyond a simple template, not exactly rocket science is it, couple of JS or backend includes.... nothing revolutionary.

Ole_Juul said: Until someone else gets off their ass

The gist of the question...

maybe there's been 10000 attempts at half assed, but let's sort it once and for all :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited February 2018

jarland said: I'm not entirely convinced that the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence, if something replaced it with the same extendability and popularity (which I propose to be dependent on said extendability). I'd sure love to be wrong.

That said, most that I witness who set out to take their position in the market seem to continually lose steam too early on. They set their hopes too high and burn out.

They can't stay in top forever, especially as long as they continue to make no apparent effort to hold their developer community to higher standards. I know that's a lot of work, but they're not a charity, they have an expensive and popular product.

The thing I wonder is: will they be replaced by someone who has been waiting to fall into that slot or someone new? Ghost is a great example of an app just waiting to reach critical mass. Joomla is an easy bet, just not a better one.

I don't see how Ghost will replace wordpress. I remember their Kickstarter or whatever 5(?) years ago, and when I tried it out then (and later about a year ago) it just didn't have anywhere near the extensibility of WordPress, which is the entire reason people use WP anyways.

• I replied. It's hard sometimes, trying to post meaningful shit while dealing with the rest :)

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • Wordpress is pretty secure, it's the plugins that are the issue - same can be said for nearly every modern'ish piece of software.

Once you allow someone to modify your software, you're allowing potential vulnerabilities. Once people start installing nulled plugins, well...

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2018

Funny, how angry the small dumb guy is.

Actually I fulfilled his wish and stopped posting in what he calls "his" thread quite a while ago.

Meanwhile the idiot sends me multiple PMs to vent his frustration. I offered him to simply consider me an arrogant asshole but he just can't stop.

And now, just when his thread which he himself screwed up (granted, with some help from me), was cooling down and some friendly users played constructively along ... the idiot opens a new thread with his frustration in the title.

Hahaha, while I'm writing this he wrote me yet 2 more PMs (!), hahaha, what a choleric dumbfuck.

But don't you worry, funny-bunny @ricardo, I'll leave this thread now ... unless you give me a reason to come back ...

Edit: Plenty more PMs. A case of total loss of dignity and self-control.

• @bsdguy, such an egocentric clown. Did you discuss anything related to the thread in your comment. No, you didn't. You discussed yourself because you're a clown.

If there's a decent admin here there'll top slice the part where you "code a superior CMS in a language of your anonymous choice" to .... here, basically.

No value added.

• I think static site generators are the current hotness. There are some alternative outboard comment systems to disqus though I don't remember names. WP still seems to be all about the plug-ins. I don't know of anyone who uses base WP.

• willie said: There are some alternative outboard comment systems to disqus though I don't remember names.

Yes, there's a list. Just try to use them and you'll see that there's something wrong with all of them in terms of usability. Been there, done that. :)

I'm not sure that people all use a lot of plugins. Perhaps I'm wrong. WP is simply an easy way to get a site up, regardless of plugins.

• ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
    edited February 2018

If you're WP is getting hacked you're using it wrong, (installing nulled script, installing non-official plugin, not updating the plugins you installed, keeping old official plugins that has ceased its author support).

Though in my experience, the best CMS out there is Drupal 8. I know learning curve is steep, but as of the moment there's no other CMS that can beat the feature and security of the framework US government sites are using and legally declared as the framework to use. (i don't know what happened to these sites)

But Wordpress is just simply design as blogging platform, we just keep hacking it to be a fully CMS.

Goodluck :)

P.S. Since the plugins you installed becomes a liability in a sense of security, if you can code and you know your goal, just code it yourself.

• Drupal 8.

• ZiriusPH said:

P.S. Since the plugins you installed becomes a liability in a sense of security, if you can code and you know your goal, just code it yourself.

I don't think OP was looking for a WP alternative to use himself. It was more a question of whether there was hope of something displacing WP among "the masses". My take is nah, stuff is getting worse not better. Browsers are now insecure app containers, the Internet of Shit is building up to destroy the world, etc. WP is chickenfeed in the scheme of things.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I use bolt CMS, unless I specificially need/a client requests wordpress, bolt is fine alternative CMS.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I've got quite a bit of experience with Silverstripe. It's incredibly adaptable and has a strong community albeit not as big as Wordpress'.

• I remember when Wordpress was just for blogs. If you want a blog that isn't based off a database and all that fluff, then have a look at HTMLy, I use it on my blog and it's actually really neat. All flat HTML.

If you need a CMS to replace Wordpress... hmm... there's plenty out there just not with the market share and themes/extensions in abundance like WP has.

That's my BTC 0.000001983 worth.

• seems the subject is not understood here either (sigh)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Closed at request of OP

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Closed as original one referenced was requested to be closed by the OP because of the trolling only for me to find a new one posted that could not have made more effort to attract more of the same if it tried.

This discussion has been closed.