Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WP Alternative, Surely something a CMS that's more secure could be made by now? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WP Alternative, Surely something a CMS that's more secure could be made by now?

Comments

• @ricardo said:

bsdguy said: Sure, better software can be written. I happen to know because I'm doing it

Which language are you writing it in?

Diverse. When only a reasonable level of safety/security is required (like the current system) I like salted F#.

For HRSS (high reliability, safety, security) projects I usually use different languages, typically Ada/Spark plus an impure functional language but this gets esoteric and I don't want to bore you, so I'll leave it at one more and important remark: It's not just the language(s) but the process, beginning with proper specification and modelling (e.g. using B).

@WSS said:
    Although I enjoy @bsdguy's rhetoric, he still likes to go after C (probably because he prefers the garbage collection in Node).

Well, for a reason. C is a fucking mess and it's pretty much impossible to produce safe code with it, even when going through the pain of ACSL/Frama-C. But that doesn't mean I don't like it; I do (after all, I used it for20 or so years and even teached it). Moreover I still consider it useful for a few niches (mostly as meta assembler).

Maybe you find it a little easier with me when I mention that I HATE Go. It's seducing as almost the only language with a good CSP implementation and it's so easy - but from a RSS viewpoint it's a useless clusterfuck (and they don't even care; it's all about "fun") and even C is better.(People with a strong urge to hate me now, please get in line. There are many who come before you!)

And I have an excuse: tens of millions of peoples private (and often sensitive) data hacked => we fucking need safer software and systems. That's what drives me and not the "fun" of pissing off people.

• @bsdguy We need less shit on the internet which has no reason to be on the internet. However, "Social Media" has taught at least two generations now, that it's perfectly fine putting your personal information on a random internet place, which may or may not use your metrics for whatever reason- IT'S FREE!

Thanked by 2mksh aglodek
  • @Harzem said:

@ricardo said:

Harzem said: novice developers

Essentially the problem though, right?

The problem, and the source of popularity. You either have novice developers' support or a great CMS with 0.05% market share.

Well, yes and no. I mean, that's not a law written in stone; it's merely a consequence of the industry and the market.

Btw I think it's also a problem of mindset. Meaning: the marketing people are usually technically clueless. People like myself, on the other hand, who actually could create a much safer (and still reasonably flexible) system like wp, are typically appalled by them marketing assholes (who know how to create large fan crowds). From what I see that's the problematic point (plus, of course, that marketing guy don't care a rats ass; they'll happily sell canned poop).

• bsdguy said: Diverse. When only a reasonable level of safety/security is required (like the current system) I like salted F#.

For HRSS (high reliability, safety, security) projects I usually use different languages, typically Ada/Spark plus an impure functional language but this gets esoteric and I don't want to bore you, so I'll leave it at one more and important remark: It's not just the language(s) but the process, beginning with proper specification and modelling (e.g. using B).

I'm sure you realise as much as you may be on the money with your choice of machine bytes, to other people this is going to sound like voodoo. Are you intending to release your CMS for general use?

bsdguy said: C is a fucking mess

C is a great language, just depends on who types it :) But then, you can include all the safety condoms to prevent bad code but does that make it better than PHP, or any other language that you don't approve of?

Anyways, the language seems a moot point, as long as the core and fundamentals describe what can and can't be done.

• ----8<---- Insert PHP derail below ---8<-----

• Right now WordPress is the only one that supported by Blog Post of Microsoft Word. I am not aware of anything else. And I did try to find anything else.

• PHP probably helps from the extensibility POV, or even nodeJS/JS given what the cool kids do....

Doesn't really matter in the end from the mathematical POV, but PHP/nodejs for popularity's sake would probably help.

• @WSS said:
    @bsdguy We need less shit on the internet which has no reason to be on the internet. However, "Social Media" has taught at least two generations now, that it's perfectly fine putting your personal information on a random internet place, which may or may not use your metrics for whatever reason- IT'S FREE!

Absolutely. But that (sociologically lobotomized millenials) are not even a group that exists in my considerations. As far as I'm concerned they might as well live 3000 light years away on another planet.

I'm talking about adults and even many companies.

@ricardo said:
    ... Are you intending to release your CMS for general use?

No. I intend to use it (that's why I develop it) to conveniently and cost-effectively create custom web sites (minus the web 2.0 and design shit which is done elsewhere) for companies who need that. Plus it's fucking fast. Easily in the top quarter of techempower. What I do not know yet is whether I'll host it myself; there are points that attract me to hosting but also some that keep me away.

• @yokowasis said:
    Right now WordPress is the only one that supported by Blog Post of Microsoft Word. I am not aware of anything else. And I did try to find anything else.

word? Isn't that somewhat hardcore? Aren't web sites created with powerpoint?

• @bsdguy said:

@yokowasis said:
    Right now WordPress is the only one that supported by Blog Post of Microsoft Word. I am not aware of anything else. And I did try to find anything else.

word? Isn't that somewhat hardcore? Aren't web sites created with powerpoint?

..it's also inaccurate. I've changed my mind that yoko isn't painfully stupid- he's intentionally acting so.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

bsdguy said: No. I intend to use it (that's why I develop it) to conveniently and cost-effectively create custom web sites (minus the web 2.0 and design shit which is done elsewhere) for companies who need that. Plus it's fucking fast. Easily in the top quarter of techempower. What I do not know yet is whether I'll host it myself; there are points that attract me to hosting but also some that keep me away.

Alright then, what's the difference between your setup and a simple proxy pass with NGINX or something as performant as haywire?

I mean, the web server part is pretty much taken care of, the scripting language of the expert or idiot is their choice.... where does your CMS fit in?

• @ricardo said:
    Alright then, what's the difference between your setup and a simple proxy pass with NGINX or something as performant as haywire?

I mean, the web server part is pretty much taken care of, the scripting language of the expert or idiot is their choice.... where does your CMS fit in?

I'm afraid you've made more than one premise error. (Hint: So, putting, say, wp behind nginx somehow magically makes it safe and secure? I don't think so and I have reality on my side).

And btw, I'm neither trying to sell anything here nor am I'm trying to convince anyone of the truth(tm). If you feel that wp behind nginx is a great solution, by all means go for it. I have, to put it that way, enough desperate potential (and actually asking) customers needing real safety.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

/cgi-bin/bsdguy/stupidposterthing.cgi

• bsdguy said:

I'm afraid you've made more than one premise error. (Hint: So, putting, say, wp behind nginx somehow magically makes it safe and secure? I don't think so and I have reality on my side).

Maybe you have. It's generally considered that NGINX performs better than Apache. That was my perfromance premise about preference of web server.

bsdguy said: And btw, I'm neither trying to sell anything here nor am I'm trying to convince anyone of the truth(tm). If you feel that wp behind nginx is a great solution, by all means go for it. I have, to put it that way, enough desperate potential (and actually asking) customers needing real safety.

I'm genuinely intrugued. I was just intending to isolate the CMS element, aside from the web server or language of choice because TBH, all languages can produce something sensible.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2018

@ricardo said:
    I'm genuinely intrugued. I was just intending to isolate the CMS element, aside from the web server or language of choice because TBH, all languages can produce something sensible.

I'm really trying to be polite but you make it hard, sorry. Let me try it in a funny way: If your premise "what I think I understand and know is not considerably less than what I do understand and know" were less false then quite a bunch of assumptions wouldn't have been made.

OK, OK, I know, humor isn't one of my strong points. But you really might want to be less adventurous in your assumptions.

So let me close with a hopefully helpful hint "is turing complete" != "can produce something sensible". I chose this example because it seems to be one of the major pillars in your belief system. Let me assure you that I didn't spend years examining and studying often quite exotic languages and other tools just because I'm a pervert weirdo. Very major players like microsoft seem to agree, btw; they sink millions and millions of $ into such research at some of the finest institutes and have sunk even more millions into refining the tools they developed based on that research.

• @bsdguy Let me close you down in whatever words come to me first.

I've 20+ years of web development experience behind me, so let's drop this pretense that you're coming from some higher echelon that I don't know about.

I've examined your posts over time and you seem to entertain ideas 'to a point' and then drop down to this idea that no one else understands what you're talking about.

I simply asked about a CMS you were coding, why you chose that language and how's it going.

Don't patronise me with 'belief system' patter.

Start talking about this alternative to Wordpress that you've coded, how it compares.

Otherwise, you're being a blowhard, projecting knowledge.

• @ricardo said:

dergelbe said: WP is secure if you don't leave it open by neglect.

Those kind of non-answers are best left to tell your grandparents.

Yes? Why so? I had a Joomla site that was idle for a few years and suddenly had some pages that were mimicking a bank site. If I had use updates this would not have happened.

My personal WP guide that works for me is:

•Keep you WP up to date (make auto-updates if possible)

•Remove all plugins, themes that are not in use

•Don't use root/admin or any name that appears on your WP site as login ID

•Rename /wp-content/ to something else

•Rename /wp-login.php to something else

With the renaming of folders you are at least invisible to bots, that are the ones that look for potential targets.

There are a number potential plugins that help with safety too, to name 2, Wordfence and Sucuri are quite informative in their free versions.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • HarzemHarzem Member
    edited February 2018

Come on guys, we've come 45 posts in this thread without namecalling and confrontation. I was kinda proud that we were all in agreement, mostly. Even with WSS and bsguy in the thread :P

• What's the problem? I found @ricardo 's last post awfully funny.

• stop fighting about language :)

I'd love if some CMS able to use the power of unit.nginx.org (still in beta though)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

bsdguy said: What's the problem? I found @ricardo 's last post awfully funny.

Cop out. You are a million miles from being a web developer, my gut instinct says you're a million miles from a developer of anything at all, theory man :)

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

@bsdguy before you spout some lengthy nonsense, talk about a WP alternative, otherwise your posts are worthless jobby, unrelated to the thread.

• @ricardo

How cute you are when you try to play someone whose "commands" carry any weight.

More of that! I'd even be willing to feed you some carrots, funny-bunny ;)

• bsdguy said: How cute you are when you try to play someone whose "commands" carry any weight.

More of that! I'd even be willing to feed you some carrots, funny-bunny ;)

Such an ego-centric individual. see the thread is about wordpress alternatives, not "how bsdguy feels about things"

man up and do the thread or feck off to your attentive little corner son. :)

• Try harder. You can do a way better imitation of authority! Believe in yourself!

• bsdguy said: Try harder. You can do a way better imitation of authority! Believe in yourself!

Look at you devoid of facts. Couldn't give a toss about your frame of mind and superiority complex. You've explained nothing other than your're coding something up in a language no one else gives a toss about and you're convinced of your own world settings. Hurrah for you, go find some people to believe in your shite.

You're in the wrong thread. I'm someone that takes people on face value and you're talking dog shite. shoo.

• And your'e derailing my thread with your vagueness. clear up or feck off.

• @ricardo said:
    [angry bla bla] Hurrah for you, go find some people to believe in your shite.

Funny-bunny, it was you who asked and even talked about being "intrigued". I didn't look for or ask anyone here to believe in what I do.

But I'll honour your angry little attempt with half a point anyway because you are so cutsy-cute in your attempts and you even used "shite" twice; get some rest, you must be quite exhausted from all that hard thinking.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

bsdguy said: But I'll honour your angry little attempt with half a point anyway because you are so cutsy-cute in your attempts and you even used "shite" twice; get some rest, you must be quite exhausted from all that hard thinking.

Again you're derailing the thread and offering nothing. As much as you think it's an ego thing it isn't, spit out your knowledge or swan off.

I made this thread in honesty and you're derailing it with your pseudo-knowledge of an alternative. IMO you've nothing new to provide so take it easy and find somewhere else to sooth your nerves. Bad enough as it is. Go.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2018

You've already spoiled this thread mate. half of it is replying to your neediness.

Close the thread, god admins. I'll go ask in another forum where it doesn't have large fore-headed mongoloids that think they dictate the future of the web :) I just asked in the name of inspiration

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
This discussion has been closed.