Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for making use of raspberry pi 3 that is going to waste? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ideas for making use of raspberry pi 3 that is going to waste?

13»

Comments

• @AuroraZ said:

@shirakun4 said:

I don't think it's a good choice to use Pi as a musical device.

Because it output a poor sound quality

I have a PI model B and a PI 3 model B

They are now covered with dust lol

Send them to me.

From my country to the United States

The required transport costs may be able to buy two PI3

I never mentioned me paying anything.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@shirakun4 said:

@MasonR said:
    I too didn't know what to do with my Raspberry Pi's (have 4 currently). Not sure what led me to it, but I found some tutorials for how to set up a Sonos-like system with only Raspberry Pi's. If you don't know what Sonos is, it is essentially a wireless audio system that can play your music in any/all rooms of your house.

Using this guide here:
    http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

I set up the four Pi's as squeezelite players with random speakers I already had and placed them around the house (bedroom, living room, kitchen, & den). Installed the logitech squeezebox server on a box in the basement. And now I'm able to play music throughout the whole house without needing to run any wires.

The sound quality when using the 3.5mm jack on the Pi board is pretty crap. But if you pick up a cheap USB audio card, then the quality increases exponentially. I picked up a few of this one here.

Besides that I know a lot of people here run Pi-hole as a local DNS server / ad blocker.

I don't think it's a good choice to use Pi as a musical device.

Because it output a poor sound quality

I have a PI model B and a PI 3 model B

They are now covered with dust lol

Please reread the bolded paragraph.

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:
    Please reread the bolded paragraph.

Because a garbage i2c codec on a pile of trash is much better?

• pikepike Veteran

@thagoat said:
    RasPi 1 models A and B only. Nothing else. Not really relevant anymore

True. Thanks for the mention. I didn't even know there are so many RPi models now, last time I checked it were two...

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • I've also done a retropi using a nespi Nintendo case for extra retro. Used 2x snes type usb controllers.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited January 2018

Not interested in games. There are loads of rpgs I'd play on pc but spending 12 hours+ on the computer a day already I think I need pursuits away from the screen.

But work related is still fine for the pi :P

Thanked by 1WSS
  • bapbap Member
    edited February 2018

I use my pi as a Squid server, running some cronjob and Kodi for watching films. My sister also often runs some math software for her schoolwork. Fun to see many things can be done on the tiny device. :D

• I have a couple of RPi running at the mo: one is running Pi-hole and the other is a low end CCTV setup using MotionEyeOS for the "brain" and one camera and then a couple of old android phones with a webcam app installed that MotionEye connects to for extra cameras.

Next up is a auto watering system for the veggie patch, not that its probably needed in the UK!!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Fatboy said: with a webcam app installed that MotionEye connects to for extra cameras.

What app do you use on the phones?