Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for making use of raspberry pi 3 that is going to waste? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ideas for making use of raspberry pi 3 that is going to waste?

Comments

• Give of to me and I will make a code reader/programmer for cars.

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:
    Give of to me and I will make a code reader/programmer for cars.

You want an ELM327 for that.

• @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:
    Give of to me and I will make a code reader/programmer for cars.

You want an ELM327 for that

Got one or two someplace they work OK.

• warbird023warbird023 Member
    edited January 2018

openvpn server,

printer server,

Litecoin and Altcoin wallet,

Mining of some Exotic/Early coins

• RetroPie. I got tired of trying to buy a NES mini so, I built one. It only took about 30 minutes or so.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

One thing I like is sort of a catch all cron job server. Usually doubles as a testing ground for new scripts. Could be monitoring and alerting, synchronizing data, performing home automation tasks. Headless with SSH, shove it somewhere out of sight.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    Headless with SSH, shove it somewhere out of sight.

Well, I'm getting hard now.

Thanked by 2jar MasonR
  • I am considering getting one on or if somebody gifts me cash so that I can test adding functionality on my website on the local environment before taking it global.
    Because I see that in future, I could have added a bugged feature to my website and effect viewers or customers in a negative way.
    But if I had a pi or real cheap computer I could test it on that environment before putting it online.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@hammer said:
    I am considering getting one on or if somebody gifts me cash so that I can test adding functionality on my website on the local environment before taking it global.
    Because I see that in future, I could have added a bugged feature to my website and effect viewers or customers in a negative way.
    But if I had a pi or real cheap computer I could test it on that environment before putting it online.

Protip: You're using a computer now. If you want the true feel, but may be difficult to do with a virutalized Linux install, try WAMP:

• @Wss
    But but Doing all that causes my computer to start making a lot of loud noises.
    And also on a more serious note it clutters my windows because I will have many open processes when I am testing.
    I will have vs code open (only accessible programming edditor recently made by Microsoft).
    On another tab I will have apache process open, and another tab shows sql, and I like to test a feature as soon as I add it so their might be the browser ontop of that.
    So I will have like all these things open at once it isn't pretty. That is why I am currently testing things as I add it to the server.

• WSSWSS Member

So, create a subdomain on your external host called 'testing'..

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Build an LED cube.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Wow I'm sometimes a dumb dude.

I believe it would be done the same way the www subdomain was added with an AA record in the dns and than connect it with a virtual host in apache very easy thanks bro.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

Single A record for IPv4; AAAA (A 4 times) for IPv6. Yep, that's how it goes.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited January 2018

Some great ideas here guys and a lol from wss.

I will have to have a few rereads and think what direction I wanna take.

So far a password and crypto offline storage device is seeming appealing. Good thing is it can double/triple/x as a few things can't it with the swap of an sdcard.

Need to learn what an IPMI is but from a screenshot it looks useful and something which would be relevant to my interests.

If using for a password storage device can those 3.5" waveshare brand/clone touch screens also have a keyboard from command prompt? I don't want an extra keyboard. Somehow it would be good to just be able to type rudimentary stuff to open/cat files right onto the device. Basically a replacement for my e-reader which broke unexpectedly with all passwords on it :P which I couldnt even access. but thankfully nothing really important on it.

• pikepike Veteran

Send to edis, they host it for free.

• @dergelbe said:
    I use mine as a VPN server, I installed PiVPN, Shadowsocks and Softether. Very useful when I visit China.
    @dergelbe said:
    I use mine as a VPN server, I installed PiVPN, Shadowsocks and Softether. Very useful when I visit China.

@lowendguy7 said:
    Now this could be something useful to me. Do you use it without it interfering with your main connection?

No idea. My router has a free LAN port and USB out, perfect for wired LAN connection and for Pi power.

It's connected to the net all the time. PiVPN, Softether and Shadowsocks run parallel on the same Pi (1) with no problem. I tried V2Ray, but it seems that that has a higher hardware requirement. Starting it really slowed down the Pi (1), and never worked anyway.

In terms of network resources it has no effect at all on it. I have a M1000 line, that should have plenty of space.

• @pike said:

Do they still offering that?

• As you know, a web server is easy to set up, but you likely won't want to run that from home. However, you can run an onion site from home and no one will know the location. https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-onion-service.html.en

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Litecoin and Altcoin wallet

Because what could be a better idea than storing your wallet on an SD card that's also being constantly rewritten 24x7 (which is what those wallets will do to keep themselves synced to the network).

brian777 said: Do they still offering that?

Coincidentally no, since 3-5 years, but it seems that LET never forgets.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • rm_ said: it seems that LET never forgets.

Damn right.

• rm_ said: it seems that LET never forgets.

Forgets what?

• @Ole_Juul said:

rm_ said: it seems that LET never forgets.

Forgets what?

Who?

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

@Ole_Juul said:

rm_ said: it seems that LET never forgets.

Forgets what?

Who?

DAMN KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!

• @MasonR said:
    I too didn't know what to do with my Raspberry Pi's (have 4 currently). Not sure what led me to it, but I found some tutorials for how to set up a Sonos-like system with only Raspberry Pi's. If you don't know what Sonos is, it is essentially a wireless audio system that can play your music in any/all rooms of your house.

Using this guide here:
    http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

I set up the four Pi's as squeezelite players with random speakers I already had and placed them around the house (bedroom, living room, kitchen, & den). Installed the logitech squeezebox server on a box in the basement. And now I'm able to play music throughout the whole house without needing to run any wires.

The sound quality when using the 3.5mm jack on the Pi board is pretty crap. But if you pick up a cheap USB audio card, then the quality increases exponentially. I picked up a few of this one here.

Besides that I know a lot of people here run Pi-hole as a local DNS server / ad blocker.

I don't think it's a good choice to use Pi as a musical device.

Because it output a poor sound quality

I have a PI model B and a PI 3 model B

They are now covered with dust lol

• WSSWSS Member

@shirakun4 said:

That's what happens when you don't take care of your instruments.

• @shirakun4 said:

@MasonR said:
    I too didn't know what to do with my Raspberry Pi's (have 4 currently). Not sure what led me to it, but I found some tutorials for how to set up a Sonos-like system with only Raspberry Pi's. If you don't know what Sonos is, it is essentially a wireless audio system that can play your music in any/all rooms of your house.

Using this guide here:
    http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordpress/tutorial-installing-squeezelite-player-on-raspbian/

I set up the four Pi's as squeezelite players with random speakers I already had and placed them around the house (bedroom, living room, kitchen, & den). Installed the logitech squeezebox server on a box in the basement. And now I'm able to play music throughout the whole house without needing to run any wires.

The sound quality when using the 3.5mm jack on the Pi board is pretty crap. But if you pick up a cheap USB audio card, then the quality increases exponentially. I picked up a few of this one here.

Besides that I know a lot of people here run Pi-hole as a local DNS server / ad blocker.

Send them to me.

• @pike said:

RasPi 1 models A and B only. Nothing else. Not really relevant anymore

• I don't think it's a good choice to use Pi as a musical device.

Send them to me.

From my country to the United States

The required transport costs may be able to buy two PI3

• @shirakun4 said:

Send them to me.

From my country to the United States

The required transport costs may be able to buy two PI3

I never mentioned me paying anything.