Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get $1000 free in Google Compute Engine credits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get $1000 free in Google Compute Engine credits

awsonawson Member
edited September 2013 in Providers

Check this out, Google are giving away free credit for GCE here:

https://cloud.google.com/resources/starterpack/

I just received mine earlier. It's an easy process: just fill in their form, once you get an email saying you've been selected, add a project to your account and enable billing (on both GAE and GCE), fill in another form, and you'll get the credits.

$1000 is enough to run a standard instance 24/7 for 6 months, but you can do whatever with it. Pricing is here: https://cloud.google.com/pricing/compute-engine

For the promo code in the application, you can use swsoc-org (found it on a company's Facebook page).

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

How long did you have to wait before you got a response?

• @matthewvz said:
    How long did you have to wait before you got a response?

About a day after the initial form, and another after the second.

• Thanks for the post. I've just submitted it and waiting :D

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

$1000 is enough to run a standard instance 24/7 for 6 months, but you can do whatever with it. Pricing is here: https://cloud.google.com/pricing/compute-engine

Couldn't you run the f1-micro or g1-small instances instead?
    Should be 6 full years with the 1st one.

As always, check the (not very)small print: These credits expire in 6 months.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    These credits expire in 6 months.

So what :) They have 6 months of free service. Google can afford it. I wonder how they put up with abuse.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Maounique Personally I don't want to bother signing up for anything from Google, fill in numerous forms, leave my personal details (all of this to be kept by them forever), for just 6 months of service. I'd think about it for 6 years, though. :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

On the other hand you can make a fake account with data you will write down and reuse. If I will have the time i will test how well are they able to cope with fake sign-ups.

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013

@Maounique said:
    On the other hand you can make a fake account with data you will write down and reuse. If I will have the time i will test how well are they able to cope with fake sign-ups.

I can say myself that they don't look into the "company" you submit in the form, since I just put in fake info and it got approved.

Though you will, of course, have to use your real info when enabling billing for the GAE and GCE projects, which they require in the second form.

They might be more strict later once they realize what's going on.

• Gave it a shot.

We'll await details.

• Just submitted my application. Wish I can get it.

• I did too. Need to add CC info too. lets see when I will get credits.

• Thanks.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I got it, feedback will follow.

• Got mine too. Continue with 2nd form now.

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Got mine also. Thanks!

• now its 2000 dollars.
    :D

Applied.

• @cloromorpho said:
    now its 2000 dollars.
    :D

Applied.

It's only $1000 for Compute Engine, the other $1000 can only be used for App Engine.

• i see, ty @awson

• Got one today! :D

• after the promo expiration , can i cancel the billing? Its just for trial anyway. so i will not be charge after it. Thanks.

• @ravenchad said:
    after the promo expiration , can i cancel the billing? Its just for trial anyway. so i will not be charge after it. Thanks.

You should be able to cancel billing before the 6 months are up, yes.

• ravenchadravenchad Member
    edited September 2013

i'm confused about the compute engine billing. how much will i actually pay if i chose 1 instance for example n1-standard-1-d and running 24/7 for 6 months. including Network Pricing/Persistent Disk Pricing/IP Address Pricing. are they billing it separately? i think $1000 is not enough?

• @ravenchad said:
    i'm confused about the compute engine billing. how much will i actually pay if i chose 1 instance for example n1-standard-1-d and running 24/7 for 6 months. including Network Pricing/Persistent Disk Pricing/IP Address Pricing. i think $1000 is not enough?

It would cost $96/mo to run a n1-standard-1-d 24/7, so you have plenty left for persistent storage and traffic. Ephemeral IPs are free, and static IPs are free so long as they are assigned to a running instance.

edited September 2013

@awson said:
    It would cost $96/mo to run a n1-standard-1-d 24/7, so you have plenty left for persistent storage and traffic. Ephemeral IPs are free, and static IPs are free so long as they are assigned to a running instance.

Nice!, But quite expensive if your internet destination is mostly in APAC. Freaking $900 already for 6 months :D

Internet Egress (APAC destination)
    0-1TB 0.21x24=5.04x30=151.2x6=$907.2

Instance n1-standard-1-d
    0.132x4=3.168x30=95.04x 6 = $570.24

908+571 = $1476 for 6 months?

Or my computation is wrong? :p

• It's expensive because you're using 1GB bandwidth per hour.

• So what is it for?

• @Abdussamad said:
    So what is it for?

Uh, for Google Compute Engine?

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2013

@awson said:

Ooh they are like VMs! I thought it was some proprietory BS like that app engine of theirs. Mind you they don't provide any details except that these are Linux VMs. Do we get root access? how much does it cost?

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013

@Abdussamad said:
    Ooh they are like VMs! I thought it was some proprietory BS like that app engine of theirs. Mind you they don't provide any details except that these are Linux VMs. Do we get root access? how much does it cost?

Yes, you get root access, they are KVM VMs. Pricing is at https://cloud.google.com/pricing/compute-engine

You'll find a lot of information at Google Developers: https://developers.google.com/compute/

edited September 2013

@awson said:
    It's expensive because you're using 1GB bandwidth per hour.

ah damn your right! im wrong :D