Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you guys would be willing to confirm their street address? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many of you guys would be willing to confirm their street address?

Comments

• edited January 2018

I wouldn't want a host to send me anything. Seriously, I don't like getting mail, and I'm an adult. I can buy my own junk.

Save the money and tip the support staff rather then send junk to people who aren't going to appreciate it.

Thanked by 1PatrickPetre
  • Lol my parents then I have had the same address for 30 years the USPS tool claims it's invalid

• @hammer said:
    @Nekki
    Happens in at least some places in Canada also.
    If you aren't present mail man takes the package to nearest post office (which just so happens to be in the drug store).
    That is reason number two of why I settled on going to the nearest Apple store and getting a Mac.
    I did not know of any nearby professional laptop store and I was scared of ordering $2000+ laptop and having it lost in mail.

Lost in mail? Pft, only happens once per two parcels. There are rumors going around that beavers are using our parcels on their dams...

Thanked by 1WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    Lost in mail? Pft, only happens once per two parcels. There are rumors going around that beavers are using our parcels on their dams...

My second favorite Apple story (first is when some fucker at Radio Shack took an imprint of my debit card and used it to commit fraud and bought several iPhones to a local address) is the one where my iPod was stolen, before I even got it.

The UPS guy said it was signed for by "F. Rontdoor". I had to go to third tier support on Apple to get someone who realized that UPS broke their agreement and left it, and someone walked with it.

I had a great mix on it, and it was zapped by the Phoenix airport. I miss that mix- it took me forever to compile. Maybe I'll have to try to transcode it together all over again.

So, yeah, any provider I do business with beyond PayPal, I trust with my credit card, so they tend to get my address, too.

• @FlamesRunner
    So what do you do if you get a 2000 dollar laptop shipped to you and it get's lost? Do you cry to mana?

• @hammer

Anything expensive, I'll have it shipped with insurance or pick it up.

But usually the latter, since I don't want the local wildlife robbing my precious shit.

• Bah my mail person knows that if my shit gets lost I knock on his door. His house door with my truck.

I give my real address btw, send me junk I send the Yeti hit squad.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @AuroraZ
    I'm glad I'm not your mail man. :)

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • AuroraZ said: send me junk I send the Yeti hit squad.

In that case it would be worth knowing what kind of chocolate you don't like.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd be willing to buy the chocolates instead... Wanna ship those? :D

• @Ole_Juul said:

AuroraZ said: send me junk I send the Yeti hit squad.

In that case it would be worth knowing what kind of chocolate you don't like.

Diabetic so I stay away from them. I don't need anything really I use a service because I like it not for gifts. I do think this is a nice gesture though.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2018

my mommy told me not to take candy from strangers ... and you're one of the strangest monkeyfighters on this monday-to-friday plane!

Reminds me a bit of the "candy for your password" experiment:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639679.stm

[....] As well as people simply telling the questioners their passwords or saying they would hand them over in exchange for some confectionery, a further 34% revealed the word or phrase they used when asked if it had anything to do with a pet or child's name.

(All that notwithstanding, if I get service with a provider, they get accurate contact info.)

Thanked by 2pinc flatland_spider
  • WSSWSS Member

@uptime I'll throw you an extra meg of RAM for a pic of your mom naked.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2018

@WSS whatever floats your boat ...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • WSSWSS Member

@uptime omghawt

• @uptime said: @WSS whatever floats your boat ...

Hey, no nudity permitted on LET!

• angstrom said: Hey, no nudity permitted on LET!

Is that actually a rule?

• Sorry the studio was all out of fig leafs!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Nekki said:

angstrom said: Hey, no nudity permitted on LET!

Is that actually a rule?

I'd have to check, but I strongly suspect that if someone posted a nude photo, it would be deleted. Perhaps a mod could confirm or disconfirm.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime: Try to up the resolution next time to at least 8 megapixels! The image is a bit too grainy as given.

• @angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

Is that actually a rule?

I'd have to check, but I strongly suspect that if someone posted a nude photo, it would be deleted. Perhaps a mod could confirm or disconfirm.

There was a guy who used to post images of all-male anal intercourse every once in a while and they always got removed promptly, but that’s an extreme case.

• @uptime said:
    Sorry the studio was all out of fig leafs!

But why did she have to remove her gown (which she's partly sitting on)?

• @Nekki said:

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

Is that actually a rule?

There was a guy who used to post images of all-male anal intercourse every once in a while and they always got removed promptly, but that’s an extreme case.

Pretty extreme that, yes.

But I suspect that even a photo of a woman with exposed breasts would get deleted.

• angstrom said: But I suspect that even a photo of a woman with exposed breasts would get deleted.

Context is probably important in any decision.

• @armstrong - best I can do is about 5 megapixels

Drapery was removed to accentuate negative space. Mum says she was young and needed the money. Also, art ...

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @uptime said:
    @armstrong - best I can do is about 5 megapixels

Drapery was removed to accentuate negative space. Mum says she was young and needed the money. Also, art ...

Not sure who @armstrong is, but I accept your argumentation.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

Regardless of the verification factor, I'd ask directly if the gift is well accepted before sending anything. Even if it's a present not everyone may like to receive three-dimensional spam. I know, it's not spam, but it may be unwarranted for whatever reason (small inbox, no inbox, client is on a diet, client is allergic to chocolate, whatever)
    Or, at least, ask upon registration "are you ok if we send you three-dimensional non-promotional stuff?"
    Even banks ask if you really want them to send slowmail

angstrom said: Not sure who @armstrong is

he's @volver buddy IIRC

• I would make the address fields optional on registration.
    That way you won't have to deal with so many fake ones.
    People who need an invoice from you for the IRS will have to give you a correct address anyway.
    I'd see no point in wasting hours manually checking addresses on google maps just because you want to be nice to people ...

• @mfs said:
    Regardless of the verification factor, I'd ask directly if the gift is well accepted before sending anything. Even if it's a present not everyone may like to receive three-dimensional spam. I know, it's not spam, but it may be unwarranted for whatever reason (small inbox, no inbox, client is on a diet, client is allergic to chocolate, whatever)
    Or, at least, ask upon registration "are you ok if we send you three-dimensional non-promotional stuff?"
    Even banks ask if you really want them to send slowmail

angstrom said: Not sure who @armstrong is

he's @volver buddy IIRC

Agreed but,who doesnt love free chocolates! You can email all your clients to verify their addresses if they want free surprise... but beware if you have clients in INDIA, they wont be getting any coz customs here suck..... agreed @jetchirag ?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

@Nekki said:

angstrom said: But I suspect that even a photo of a woman with exposed breasts would get deleted.

Context is probably important in any decision.

Exactly this, context is everything. For example I'll leave that one there because I'd be fine to put it up public in real life or for someone to see over your shoulder and not think you're a perverted freak.

Thanked by 1uptime