Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi Flash sale: KS-3C (BHS): 14.99$ CAD - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi Flash sale: KS-3C (BHS): 14.99$ CAD

13»

Comments

• @sin,

I'm tempted by this current offer because it would let me consolidate a bunch of VPSs and there's enough disk space for me to have some off-site backup of other stuff.

The cost of one of these is only a little more per month than what I'm currently paying for 2-3 other VPSs and given I'd be the only user on this machine it would certainly have enough power to handle what I'm doing.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@JustAMacUser said:
    @sin,

I'm tempted by this current offer because it would let me consolidate a bunch of VPSs and there's enough disk space for me to have some off-site backup of other stuff.

The cost of one of these is only a little more per month than what I'm currently paying for 2-3 other VPSs and given I'd be the only user on this machine it would certainly have enough power to handle what I'm doing.

Probably a better deal then. Speed problems they had before with Kimsufi seems to not be an issue anymore.

• sinsin Member
    edited January 2018

JustAMacUser said: The cost of one of these is only a little more per month than what I'm currently paying for 2-3 other VPSs and given I'd be the only user on this machine it would certainly have enough power to handle what I'm doing.

If you have the money you could always pickup one of these Kimsufi's and then play around with it for a month or two and make sure you like it before you move a bunch of stuff over, that's what I usually do. The KS-3C are definitely powerful for their price, I ended up with an i3-3240 and so with the hyperthreading and the nice 3.4ghz clockspeed the cpu is great.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2018

Yeah those CPUs are pretty nice and can handle quite some real world use! Depending on what you do with your VPSes and where they are hosted, it can be faster. Remember that there's no RAID though, that's the huge drawback with their KS line in my opinion. Still pretty good value for the money.

• Anybody tried mining stuff with these i3 things? :D

• WSSWSS Member

@Shot2 said:
    Anybody tried mining stuff with these i3 things? :D

Drink bleach in a fire. Or, set fire to bleach you're drinking. Both are OK.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2018

WSS said: Drink bleach in a fire. Or, set fire to bleach you're drinking. Both are OK.

Come on, "making public your wish for people here to die" is explicitly banned in LET rules, we have to keep stuff like this to ourselves. (I know it can be hard!)

Shot2 said: Anybody tried mining stuff with these i3 things? :D

IIRC the i3 doesn't have the AES-NI instructions, it will be more than 2x slower than a comparable i5, and will not mine to pay for itself like those can. So you can get back only about half of the montly fee or less. Which is still good, since assuming you know how to use nice or snice, you can set it to mine in the background without affecting your actual usage of the server in any way.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@rm_ said:

WSS said: Drink bleach in a fire. Or, set fire to bleach you're drinking. Both are OK.

Come on, "making public your wish for people here to die" is explicitly banned in LET rules, we have to keep stuff like this to ourselves. (I know it can be hard!)

That has nothing to do with wishing people to die. I was making a "serving suggestion" for the next buttcoin to hop on. This will cause less pain for himself, friends, family, and his parents' electricity bill. When a playful statement of "Well if you're this dumb" is taken as scripture- well, if this place has become so SJ that this is now a crime, I don't want to be a party, and neither should you. You're smarter than this, 2/5.

E: i3, even at the cheapest prices, is nearly impossible to mine for anything, even to pay for itself. @Neoon actually did a decent writeup on this, but I refuse to withhold my disdain for shoeminers just to pretend that I wish them well with their task, which drives up affordable machines for those of use who might actually do something useful with them.

The "Flag" button is to the right of my avatar.

• @rm_ said:

Shot2 said: Anybody tried mining stuff with these i3 things? :D

IIRC the i3 doesn't have the AES-NI instructions, it will be more than 2x slower than a comparable i5, and will not mine to pay for itself like those can. So you can get back only about half of the montly fee or less. Which is still good, since assuming you know how to use nice or snice, you can set it to mine in the background without affecting your actual usage of the server in any way.

Thanks for the insight. I use one of these sweet babies as a remote backup and not much else - now considering how not to waste so many stillborn CPU cycles.

@WSS > is "eat shit and die" against the rules too? Ot just a proper -if trivial- way to describe the gastronomic habits of 'Muricans?

• @Vova1234 said:
    OVH make a surprise on the i5-2400 / i5-3570s servers.
    They are very good under many different things.

Like last year: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/106785/kimsufi-ks-3c-is-in-stock-again/p1

Everyone bought and everyone received i5.
    I bet that most of them did not even abandon the servers.

It was a really cool gift.

Yeah, and with doubled memory (16GB). Even adding $1 for ddos protection, I am still keeping it.

• Do they not believe in raid or do just not advertise it? 2tb is vague i much prefer 2x 2tb or the like so you know what your dealing with

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

@sureiam said:
    Do they not believe in raid or do just not advertise it? 2tb is vague i much prefer 2x 2tb or the like so you know what your dealing with

Yeah, 100% of their servers on OVH/SYS have RAID. Kimsufi is cheap as heck, ofc not.

There are a lot of server providers that still sell $60-$100+ servers with modern hardware and only a single SSD.