Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Low Use and Specs KVM (no OVZ), I require 3 for 20$ per year - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very Low Use and Specs KVM (no OVZ), I require 3 for 20$ per year

2»

Comments

• @WSS said:
    vme is better than vmx. You just need to thin down everything you run under X, and setup your KVMs properly. 64MB is more than enough for BSDs.. well, kind of. OpenBSD 6 will still run in it, but many tools will be unhappy. Pretty sure you need at least 192MB for NetBSD with X these days. FreeBSD? 256, most likely. Void Linux? 96MB. (Not a shill. Much.)

why X?

also I could go down the lfs route, that's another learning tool I'll get around to, eventually.

what got me interested in *BSD is this article, from what I was told linux users are gonna miss the gnu coreutils, thats another route I want to explore, eventually it would make sense to use it for the public facing webserver.

article on theo de raadt
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/07/1097089476287.html

• @vimalware said:
    Suggestion: order one of Wishosting's KVM packages
    then create multiple 'private' KVMs with fractions of your RAM, cpu, disk allocation, via their OpenNebula control panel.

One of the KVMa can be configured with the bundled Public IP and setup to do Source NAT in order to provide Internet connectivity to the other 'private' KVMs.

this too, I didn't knew one could split fractions of resources with the OpenNebula cp, very good sir! thank you!

I think it's quite a good deal for $6 4/m. Quit when you're done , if you're a fast learner.

challenge accepted!

Else get a cheap dedi for $12 upwards

where? raspberry pis?

• WSSWSS Member

@dada216 said:

@WSS said:
    vme is better than vmx. You just need to thin down everything you run under X, and setup your KVMs properly. 64MB is more than enough for BSDs.. well, kind of. OpenBSD 6 will still run in it, but many tools will be unhappy. Pretty sure you need at least 192MB for NetBSD with X these days. FreeBSD? 256, most likely. Void Linux? 96MB. (Not a shill. Much.)

why X?

Some folks aren't good at management without a GUI.

• @dada216 said:

@vimalware said:
    Else get a cheap dedi for $12 upwards

where? raspberry pis?

10Eur KS-2E or look in this $20 thread

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Depending on your location you can get some old Dell or HP workstations that are out of warranty for close to your budget, assuming you have a TV that can be used as a monitor.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe You completely typo'd "Packard Bell".

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

You completely tripped over your time machine.

• WSSWSS Member

@KuJoe said:

@WSS said:

You completely tripped over your time machine.

That is likely because I had to login to Wervyn again to restart my instance.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2018

Step 1. Find a part time job.
    Step 2. Earn enough to pay current prices.
    Step 3. Order what you need.

Just because this is for a hobby/learning doesn't mean it decreases the cost for providers, especially if you need a public IP for each instance.

Nested virt is not recommended and possibly disallowed in some providers ToS because it can be resource intensive.

The only other option already suggested is to run your own server but then you're going to pay electricity costs for the whole year if you power it 24/7.

@Aidan said: Running a VPN on Amazon will be a great learning experience. The EC2 instance is free, so what's the worst that can happen.

The worst that can happen is you use more than 15GB of bandwidth and they will start charging your card.

• Even if you go the nested route where are going to find a 1GB RAM KVM with 100GB HDD for $20/year? I haven't seen anything like that.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

You are best off with hourly instances, I think. So you'd keep them running only while you are actively doing stuff with them.

• WSSWSS Member

Interestingly timed bump from two nicknames active in another thread.

• @dada216 How was that derailing? It was merely a suggestion.

Having said that, you can technically install Docker on a VZ server.

• DanSummerDanSummer Member
    edited January 2018

why X?

also I could go down the lfs route, that's another learning tool I'll get around to, eventually.

what got me interested in *BSD is this article, from what I was told linux users are gonna miss the gnu coreutils, thats another route I want to explore, eventually it would make sense to use it for the public facing webserver.

article on theo de raadt
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/10/07/1097089476287.html

Perhaps, the responsible (sensible?) thing for you would be to save $.50 cents a day( since this's a hobby and not a life or death situation). You should have extra $30 to spend in two months(bringing your total to $50).

Alternatively, skip coffee, meat, beer or whatever 3 days a week and you should be able to save $30 a month no matter how poor you think you are.