Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Low Use and Specs KVM (no OVZ), I require 3 for 20$ per year
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very Low Use and Specs KVM (no OVZ), I require 3 for 20$ per year

this is a hobbyist and learning project, hence the low use and specs and very tight budget.
I'm studying server deployment and I'm testing/experimenting with different configs and software stacks / OS.

required specs as following:

• 1G RAM / 20G HDD
  • 128MB RAM / 100 GB HDD
  • 256MB RAM / 5 GB HDD

being able to load a custom ISO (*BSD) would be highly desirable too but I get that is an option few offer.

CPU wise I don't require incredible speed, if the blog was to require some more cpu due to increased use when it goes public I'll buy a bigger VM (Webserver is 1G/20G), an HDD is perfectly fine.

they all need to be KVM because of config requirements and I want three different VPS with three IP for this (even NAT-IPv4 is good enough, at least one public IP for the 1G/20G machine would be very desirable)

I also host a very low personal use wiki and one public blog (which I plan to launch within 6 months). I require KVM because I exhausted my learning curve on what an OVZ vps could allow me to do, I now mainly require to configure my own firewall, install and learn how to use docker, etc.
I also require this to be run on three different machines.

can this be done for 20$ per year?

preferred location would be in Europe but I don't mind USA, no Asia since connection is too bad from my own location.

Thanked by 1huangyuyu

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

You're kind of pushing it, since the host may be paying up to $36/yr for your IPs. Maybe a France reseller can do this for you.

• @WSS said:
    You're kind of pushing it, since the host may be paying up to $36/yr for your IPs.

Maybe a France reseller can do this for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I might go with no public IP, only NAT, for 6 months and then I could pay for one public IP when I actually require it if this makes the deal feasible.

• WSSWSS Member

..but you still want 2 public IPs, and half-a-NAT for $20/yr with 1G/20, 128MB/100G, and 256M/5G? Not so sure that's viable.

1. Find some POS box that someone is throwing away and connect it to your home network.
    2. Install Linux.
    3. Vagrant up some VirtualBox instances.
    4. Learn.
    Thanked by 3WSS ariq01 DanSummer
  • WSSWSS Member

Alt: Get a cheapish KVM with VMX/VME passthrough for ~$20/yr (it's possible), setup KVM under that, bridge it, NAT forward to parasitesclient installs..

Thanked by 1dada216
  • teamaccteamacc Member
    edited January 2018

Is that 20 usd per box, or for the grand total? If it's per box, your first spec thingy can be matched by arubacloud.com (1 euro per month)

Second can probably be done by @cam (16 usd/year, https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/135019/gullo-s-hosting-2-year-vps-hosting-is-back-storage-deals-inside#latest), third by wishosting.com (3 usd/year). Total just under 35 usd/year.

Edit: just saw the kvm requirement. Probably not happening then.

Thanked by 1Cam
  • @szarka said:
    1. Find some POS box that someone is throwing away and connect it to your home network.
    2. Install Linux.
    3. Vagrant up some VirtualBox instances.
    4. Learn.

that is the option if I can't update from current OVZ setup (14$ per year).

@WSS said:
    ..but you still want 2 public IPs, and half-a-NAT for $20/yr with 1G/20, 128MB/100G, and 256M/5G? Not so sure that's viable.

maybe I can push it up to 25, or 30, but would it make a difference? how far do you think I am considering the very low usage?

what If I drop the 256MB/5G box, it is only a network drone (VPN and such) and I could get a free amazon ec2.micro for a year to do that.

• WSSWSS Member

@dada216 said:
    what If I drop the 256MB/5G box, it is only a network drone (VPN and such) and I could get a free amazon ec2.micro for a year to do that.

You've obviously already done your research on options- so.. why are you here, again, unless you just want to dine-n-dash on a loss leader?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @WSS said:

@dada216 said:

You've obviously already done your research on options-

kinda, I did know about amazon free tier stuff but just didn't considered it since I'm already on OVZ vps (I also didn't truly understood OVZ limitations until I hit them) and it just came to my mind now as an option to lower my ip requirements, which as you pointed out would not make it feasible

so.. why are you here, again, unless you just want to dine-n-dash on a loss leader?

no thats not my intention, I'm just very poor at the moment but I enjoy playing with IT stuff and I'm looking for options within an incredibly tight budget.

@WSS said:
    Alt: Get a cheapish KVM with VMX/VME passthrough for ~$20/yr (it's possible), setup KVM under that, bridge it, NAT forward to parasitesclient installs..

this.

sounds interesting and is the kind of option I dind't knew about or realized was feasible, thanks!

@teamacc said:
    Edit: just saw the kvm requirement. Probably not happening then.

yep, thats the hard part, I'm already on OVZ and I've hit its limitations, so either I go for a small server in my room or for nested virtualization as WSS suggested.

• @WSS said:

@dada216 said:

You've obviously already done your research on options- so.. why are you here, again, unless you just want to dine-n-dash on a loss leader?

I could never understand these I'm broke and can only afford enough for a few coffees amount to learn networking for a year. Don't need a vps for that.

• dada216 said: (VPN and such) and I could get a free amazon ec2.micro for a year to do that.

Running a VPN on Amazon will be a great learning experience. The EC2 instance is free, so what's the worst that can happen.

• WSSWSS Member

@needavps said:
    I could never understand these I'm broke and can only afford enough for a few coffees amount to learn networking for a year. Don't need a vps for that.

I've been there, but if you can't afford a weekend bender towards your craft- well, what's the bloody point!?

@dada216 said:

@WSS said:

this.

sounds interesting and is the kind of option I dind't knew about or realized was feasible, thanks!

It is. If you can possibly get a little more cash, and wait for the next NetCup special, you can setup your own private Idahonetwork.

• @WSS said:

@needavps said:

I've been there, but if you can't afford a weekend bender towards your craft- well, what's the bloody point!?

aren't you a fan of DO. weekend bender don't need a yearly vps and obviously you have a sensible budget. I'm also not buying this exhausting learning of vz. kvm just require linux.

I'm just trying to figure out how his brokeness translate his expenses for the year to connect to this vps. Free internet must be great.

Thanked by 2Aidan WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

Obamaphone.

• @WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly. Just wish the OP would just say I wanna spend this amount for VPS without all the extra basic. I'm a fan of free stuff and cheap reliable services but... it's ok to admit you are dirt cheap. It would make alot more sense.

Thanked by 1dada216
  • WSSWSS Member

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly.

Because the last administration gave out smartphones for free? Triggered much?

• @WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly.

must be a fan of fake news. That's just a bunch of publicity from the alt right.

• WSSWSS Member

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly.

must be a fan of fake news. That's just a bunch of publicity from the alt right.

How's life going for you, @Maounique?

• @WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly.

that's what she said.

• WSSWSS Member

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:

@needavps said:

@WSS said:
    Obamaphone.

pretty racist allegedly.

that's what she said.

Sorry, we've already got one pointless shitposter, and that job isn't open.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @WSS said:

@needavps said:

it's not my craft, and If I was pushing it a little but I'm sorry if I offended anybody actually working in the field.

I'm a cargo surveyor by trade, nothing to do with IT besides typing at a keyboard, if somebody needs a cargo survey in Europe PM me, I'll give you LET prices, relative to the cargo survey world! :)

I play with IT stuff just as a hobby, some people collect butterflies, I configure servers to let the steam off.

Years ago I had my own xen server at home that I used to play with, I've moved since and life got in the way of servers and now I only have a laptop, 9 months ago I bought some VPS to play with and thanks to that I've learned ssh and ansible, I've "learned wordpress", meaning I now understand how to use the inspector to read html/css/php and map that back to the theme in wordpress, this might sound like nothing to you but it took me days to actually start to sort it out and modify the wordpress theme the way I wanted, I received no formal training and I read documentations and books as I go and it so happens to years ago when I was playing with xen I had no interest in web hosting, I now do.

recently I hit the limitations of an OVZ so I'm now looking for ways to further the project, which means either KVM vps or setting up new hardware at home to run a xen server in my room and play with that.

@dada216 said:

@WSS said:

this.

It is. If you can possibly get a little more cash, and wait for the next NetCup special, you can setup your own private Idahonetwork.

Hopefully in a while I'll be able to spare more for what is really truly superfluous in my case.

• WSSWSS Member

You have a laptop. Setup KVM or Hyper-V.

• @WSS said:

it's an hp mini, atom board with 1GB ram, it's running lubuntu, I also have an Ipad 1 which I use to actually watch videos I download with the laptop.
    I'm a pretty broke cargo surveyor atm :)

either I'll go for KVM nested virt with 20bucks now and apply and keep playing with my ansible playbook inside there or I'll get my hands on a piece of hardware where I'll install Xen and do it there.

eventually, when there's cash to spare, I'll go for the smallest KVM vps at market price, probably in another six months time and I might start hosting the blog I'm developing.

• WSSWSS Member

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If there's vmx/vme, you have no excuse. 1G isn't complete shit. Most of my boxes fit in that.

Thanked by 1dada216
  • @dada216 said:

@WSS said:

it's an hp mini, atom board with 1GB ram, it's running lubuntu, I also have an Ipad 1 which I use to actually watch videos I download with the laptop.

either I'll go for KVM nested virt with 20bucks now and apply and keep playing with my ansible playbook inside there or I'll get my hands on a piece of hardware where I'll install Xen and do it there.

eventually, when there's cash to spare, I'll go for the smallest KVM vps at market price, probably in another six months time and I might start hosting the blog I'm developing.

You a seriously need to worry about other things rather than burning your tiny budget on a crappy KVM.

If you’re desperate/want a free server, you can try to register on FreeVPS.us. Post something decent every few days and you’ll get a VPS free!

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @WSS said:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo

If there's vmx/vme, you have no excuse. 1G isn't complete shit. Most of my boxes fit in that.

I actually have vme but no vmx, will look into this too.

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm dtherm arat

• also never buy an atom n2600 to be used with linux, its one of the few intel boards where the graphic chip has closed source drivers and no good linux implementation, performance sucks!

• WSSWSS Member

vme is better than vmx. You just need to thin down everything you run under X, and setup your KVMs properly. 64MB is more than enough for BSDs.. well, kind of. OpenBSD 6 will still run in it, but many tools will be unhappy. Pretty sure you need at least 192MB for NetBSD with X these days. FreeBSD? 256, most likely. Void Linux? 96MB. (Not a shill. Much.)

Thanked by 1dada216
  • @doghouch said:

@dada216 said:

@WSS said:

You a seriously need to worry about other things rather than burning your tiny budget on a crappy KVM.

If you’re desperate/want a free server, you can try to register on FreeVPS.us. Post something decent every few days and you’ll get a VPS free!

I very much like the way the thread is derailing, lol.

ease off ppl, I've got 20bucks to burn on my IT hobby, not more, the reason I have only this crappy laptop even tho I have a job are numerous and weird, life can be very strange at times.

I already have three vps that I play with, pretty content with them, they served the purpose, I've hit the limit of what I can do with them and I wanted to find a way to keep going using only the 20 (for now), and thanks to WSS I actually have it (nested virt).

also if ppl on the board here are in the business of selling hosting it sure seems you're trying to send off a possible customer :) :)

loving this thread.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2018

Suggestion: order one of Wishosting's KVM packages
    then create multiple 'private' KVMs with fractions of your RAM, cpu, disk allocation, via their OpenNebula control panel.

One of the KVMa can be configured with the bundled Public IP and setup to do Source NAT in order to provide Internet connectivity to the other 'private' KVMs.

I think it's quite a good deal for $6 4/m. Quit when you're done , if you're a fast learner.

Else get a cheap dedi for $12 upwards

Thanked by 1dada216