Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7 2600 WSI Equivalent - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i7 2600 WSI Equivalent

Comments

• I think I may have threw up, in my pants, out of my ass.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

WSS said: any more arrogance and ignorance

The ignorance is entirely on your part. The arrogance is now going both ways I suppose, but you were the one who started out spewing bullshit and calling people dickheads.

If Jarland or whoever does close this thread, I'd appreciate if in the closing message, they weigh in on whether they've ever seen someone get banned from a dedi host for maxing the cpu 24/7 unless there were special conditions stated up front. I find the concept to be simply insane.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited January 2018

@willie said:

WSS said: any more arrogance and ignorance

The ignorance is entirely on your part. The arrogance is now going both ways I suppose, but you were the one who started out spewing bullshit and calling people dickheads.

If Jarland or whoever does close this thread, I'd appreciate if in the closing message, they weigh in on whether they've ever seen someone get banned from a dedi host for maxing the cpu 24/7 unless there were special conditions stated up front. I find the concept to be simply insane.

Jesus fuck, just shut up @Maounique.

E: Kid Gloves Added.

I see you are having what we consider an "emotional crisis" right now, and I understand that your world view has been shattered. I'll be happy to help transport you to a safe space if that is your choice.

• nullnothere said: I don't quite understand why this is not permitted. Why on earth is it unreasonable to expect to put my own dedicated idle cores to some good use? As long as I'm within TDP and the system is performing within the rated specs why should I bat an eyelid on running a long/expensive job (even if that is mining which in some ways is no different than other CPU intensive jobs like machine learning, transcoding etc.).

Nullnotthere, it's a little bit complicated and I'm sympathetic to the problem. The car analogy isn't that driving uphill 24/7 will damage the car, but rather, that gas is included in the rental price. The observed history of the business is that some renters do drive the cars 24/7 (taxi companies, say), while others drive hardly at all. That lets them predict their average fuel costs, so they use the prediction to set a single rental price for everyone regardless of their driving.

Now some idiot comes along and offers on TV to pay people 5 cents an hour to drive their cars around in circles uselessly (mining). So of course everyone with idle rental cars starts doing that 24/7, ruining the rental company's earlier estimates of their gas expenditures. They end up having to eat losses for a while, and maybe raise everyone's prices, or else complicate their business by charging separately for gas.

I know that even some hosting companies are mining on their unsold inventory, so they get some revenue even when the machine isn't being rented by a customer.

I'm not currently doing what you mention (using idle cycles for mining) but I've been a bit tempted, since it recoups some of the rental costs. I figure I already rationalize wasting money on idle servers by the amount being piddly in the scheme of things, so recouping some of it won't make much difference. Obviously the math would be different if the amounts were larger.

WSS said: Jesus fuck, just shut up @Maounique.

He hasn't posted here. Or are you being clever. Sheesh.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • WSSWSS Member

Talking to yourself in a roundabout way using large words doesn't directly help your case when nobody fucking cares.

• It's NOT fucking yours just because you're renting it.

You're out of your mind. You don't know jack shit about this stuff. Show me one TOS anywhere about banning people for maxing cpu on a dedicated server. Show me one example of anyone ever getting banned for it.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

It's NOT fucking yours just because you're renting it.

You're out of your mind. You don't know jack shit about this stuff. Show me one TOS anywhere about banning people for maxing cpu on a dedicated server. Show me one example of anyone ever getting banned for it.

If I find you on anything I manage, I will ban you. Good enough? No? Still, fuck off.

• WSSWSS Member

Now I will no longer respond to you. Have a great life in whatever world you inhabit.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

I'm glad you are finally realizing how full of shit you are and shutting up. Or anyway, we'll see.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    I'm glad you are finally realizing how full of shit you are and shutting up. Or anyway, we'll see.

Goddamn, if you aren't @Maounique, you are his alter ego.

Yes.. because I refused to be a party to your hugfest of "ITS MINE I PAID FOR IT (rented)" doesn't fit your definition of happiness, I will always be in the wrong.

Pay heed, however- I will find you, and I will ban you, and put you on fraudrecord for abuse of services. Have a nice day.

• WSS said:

If I find you on anything I manage, I will ban you. Good enough?

I'm quaking in my boots. Oh I'm so scared. Your technical ignorance in this thread is enough to peg you as completely incompetent at managing anything. Tell me the name of your company so I can stay away from it. I like services managed by competent people.

Thanked by 1MrEd
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said:

If I find you on anything I manage, I will ban you. Good enough?

I'm quaking in my boots. Oh I'm so scared.

Fuck off, @Maounique. I am done chatting with you.

• WSS said: Fuck off, @Maounique. I am done chatting with you.

Promises promises.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

WSS said:

Pay heed, however- I will find you, and I will ban you, and put you on fraudrecord for abuse of services. Have a nice day.

Great, now you are saying right out that you are willing to put false reports on fraudrecord (abusing fraudrecord's services, ironically). What does that make you? What are people supposed to think of you for that? Please do post the name of your company. Maybe I should report YOU to fraudrecord.

Thanked by 2MrEd Rob92
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said:

Great, now you are saying right out that you are willing to put false reports on fraudrecord (abusing fraudrecord's services, ironically). What does that make you? What are people supposed to think of you for that? Please do post the name of your company. Maybe I should report YOU to fraudrecord.

I'm doing this just to document your behavior. Now, if you want validation that you are not in check, please just enter your credit card here..

• WSSWSS Member

But honestly, I don't like you, and I don't want your business. Goodnight.

• WSS said:

I'm doing this just to document your behavior.

MY behavior? You're the one saying you're going to report abuse to Fraudrecord when no abuse actually takes place. I'm sure Fraudrecord will be interested to hear about that practice of yours.

Thanked by 1MrEd
  • WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said:

I'm doing this just to document your behavior.

MY behavior? You're the one saying you're going to report abuse to Fraudrecord when no abuse actually takes place. I'm sure Fraudrecord will be interested to hear about that practice of yours.

Keep skewing things against the latest bait, Maofollower. You're not intelligent enough to be him. Also, I tire of you. Goodnight, slave.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

I'm just finding this idea of yours to be totally out of touch with reality. If I post a request thread saying "Hi I'm a researcher and I'd like to rent a dedicated server to simulate quantum chemistry (or train a chess engine or whatever), I need very low network bandwidth and you're free to firewall every abusable port, but I'm going to run the CPU 24/7/365" I guarantee I'd get plenty of offers. Similarly for the stuff I do (database reductions), or the stuff HalfEatenPie does (computational fluid dynamics), or the stuff I used to do at work (I ran a search engine cluster, and we also had dozens of machines transcoding 24/7), etc.

It's completely legitimate to use a dedicated machine that way. It's not like turning a $5/year "unlimited" shared hosting plan into a multi-terabyte Plex server. It's what you're supposed to do if you have high cpu requirements. If that throws the economics of someone's cheap dedi offer out of whack, then ok, it's fine and desirable to make accomodations. But it's just a business discussion. It's no different from getting a server with an ultra-high bandwidth allowance. It's a commodity that hosts are here to sell. You agree on a price and make the deal. I just don't understand where the moral outrage is coming from.

There are plenty of applications for 100% cpu. If you're not supposed to get it from dedicated servers, where are you supposed to get it?

Thanked by 2uptime Rob92
  • WSSWSS Member

Nah. You're not allowed to go from insulting to constructing ideal possibilities. Fuck off.

• WSSWSS Member

Seriously, I don't care about your ideals. Just go away.

• @willie said: There are plenty of applications for 100% cpu

Yes - I agree and come from a similar background where there are very complex multi dimensional problems that are running over very large quantities of data (both structured and unstructured). They require complex computations that are constantly refined and so it is very likely and expected that these jobs run on a more or less continuous basis.

I have always assumed that these type of work loads are exactly what one looks to run when going for dedis and I've always expected that this is normal and not an unreasonable expectation.

I'm not going to invest in a dedi to idle most of the time (I would have gone with an hourly cloud option if that were the case as it would be cheaper on a monthly basis). And just to add, Digital Ocean even has a "High CPU" option for cpu intensive workloads - so I assume even they think that is a perfectly legit use case.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • WSSWSS Member

Find another supporting role. Only having two is really pathetic for someone who presses their own medals.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

nullnothere said:

I have always assumed that these type of work loads are exactly what one looks to run when going for dedis and I've always expected that this is normal and not an unreasonable expectation.

Yeah, I've decided to post more calmly but at the core, WSS is just being whack about this.

I'm now feeling a bit bad for antagonizing WSS, who I now remember has been banned from LET multiple times (correction: once) for similar incidents. Now I'm sympathetic to him because we all have our hot buttons. I have my own though this isn't it.

Anyway I hope we can all chill out some. If there's really an unresolved question about legitimate usage of LET dedi offers, I can post a question in the offer rules sticky thread and I might do that. Hopefully the resulting discussion can avoid getting too personal. I'll try to uphold that in my own posts there.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • When CPU mining you don't use all available cores/threads so never runs at true 100% anyway.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    I'm now feeling a bit bad for antagonizing WSS, who I now remember has been banned from LET multiple times for similar incidents. Now I'm sympathetic to him because we all have our hot buttons. I have my own though this isn't it.

I'm sorry, and this is false.

I declare a timeout/ban for Maofollower. I was banned once, and as long as he professes false statements, he should not be allowed to continue to talk shit.

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2018

WSS said: I was banned once,

Fixed, thanks.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: I was banned once,

Fixed, thanks.

Your turn yet again, @Maounique.

• WSSWSS Member

Seriously, @willie, I'm done cleaning the mess on my carpet, and you won't be the next. You are a worthless pile of shit. Have a great life.

• lurch said:

When CPU mining you don't use all available cores/threads so never runs at true 100% anyway.

What do you mean by that? I haven't done it so don't know, but thought it was straightforwardly computing a hash function repeatedly, plus doing some table lookups (the memory intensive stuff). If you just mean memory latency from the lookups, then hyperthreading probably does help.

This discussion has been closed.