Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tor node on low end boxes - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tor node on low end boxes

1234568»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2012

http://metrics.torproject.org/exonerator.html
    There, just one of the excellent tools.
    What does this prove ? Only ppl that judge the project by hearsay and propaganda cant believe that it is a lower risk stuff than the other services run by VPS providers.
    Those that can be bothered to read the facts (statistics, for once), know the truth. Informed ppl are usually invulnerable to fear-mongering and propaganda. It is so easy to get the facts out of Internet today, there is no excuse for not doing so, especially for the ppl in the business. So sad...
    BTW, if there is any provider willing to try, i will offer to operate a node for testing in your VPS space and we will see if that is generating so many complaints as the ppl say... Exit node, of course, since non-exit will never generate complaints.
    Who is raising the hand ?
    M
    P.S. KuJoe, my apologies, I was convinced you know all that and you just pretend not to understand. It looks like i was mistaken. Sorry again and to all others in the same situation...

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • @Maounique said: There, just one of the excellent tools.

What does this prove ? Only ppl that judge the project by hearsay and propaganda cant understand that it is a lower risk stuff than the other services run by VPS providers.
    Those that can be bothered to read the facts (statistics, for once), know the truth.
    M

If I didn't already ban Tor in my terms of service, I'd edit it right now and add it to the list of things that are banned. Just because you annoy me.

edited February 2012

Bah, not worth it.
    M

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • @Maounique said: Bah, not worth it.

Finally!

You really should not be trying to earn the rank of poster child for Tor, your delivery sucks, and has only made the list longer of those who do not allow Tor. You really need a tall cool glass of STFU, as your words only inflame providers that allowed Tor to ban it, and instead alert someone like @Aaron who seems to have the skills to communicate in a proper manner.

edited February 2012

I am not trying to earn any rank, my posts were based on facts and logic which seems to be lacking here. In the end, as you could see, Tor can be run covertly under the hood of righteous uninformed scare-mongers, as well as perhaps CP and phishing sites. I just saw how much ppl know about the business they are in, and no, this is not about Tor or TOR, that was just a telling sign of how much was read about the subject.
    There will be more failures and arrests+equipment seizing in the business, and, as incredible as it may sound, Tor will continue NOT to be the reason for those.
    End of the day, I dont care if providers allow or not Tor on LEBs, I just came to show the facts and nobody is continuing here on the line of "95%" CP and the like. Mission accomplished, the informed, open minded ppl will still allow Tor, nobody needs the others, since they will go down for some other reason(s) anyway. As I said before, if they fear Tor, they are in the wrong business, and not only because they are uninformed.
    M

• Is this http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/ list for exit nodes only?

edited February 2012

No, lists all. There are little pictures that explain stuff, such as a door for exit nodes, a circle for stable, picture of a penguin for linux, a devil for bsd, etc. On the right side. The details show also which ports are allowed in case of exit nodes, but even those that allow everything have port 25 blocked by default.
    M

• Ah, i'd take it with a grain of salt them, cause there's relay nodes running on our IP space, that aren't listed on that list.

• @Damian said: Ah, i'd take it with a grain of salt them, cause there's relay nodes running on our IP space, that aren't listed on that list.

You can configure the nodes so that they don't appear in the public list, thereby making it difficult for censoring governments to block them.

• @DotVPS: ?????

@gsrdgrdghd: Ah, that's probably what's going on. Not sure why you'd want nodes in the public list anyway, then...

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited February 2012

He means that Hetzner and OVH host a lot of Tor nodes.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
    edited February 2012

I had hetzner nodes, quite a few.
    It takes some time to apear in that list. About half a day.
    M

• Why are we still talking about this? From what I can see, none of the low end providers that would be worth using would allow this, and the other companies are not dependable enough to really give this a try.

Everyone has different opinions of Tor, and I don't think that any amount of discussion is going to make providers who do not allow it change their mind. They have no reason to take on the risk, and it is as simple as that.

Can we please let this die? We have beat it to death with about 7 sticks at this point.

edited February 2012

The purpose was never to determine anyone to change anything. It is about replying acusations against Tor and it's volunteers. In my view those were made to mask the inability of providers to offer the BW they advertise as well as because they didnt know **** about Tor.
    Those things have been already done, ignorance of the providers has been proved, facts provided that other services are more risky for providers than Tor, they admitted they massively oversell, Tor is supported by US Navy and a lot of civil rights movements, there were no trials in which Tor has been deemed as guilty in any infringement (this is similar to general data carriers of encrypted streams), as such not illegal and not nocive for the society in general, it is indeed the time to let the acusations die.
    M

• @Maounique said: Tor is supported by US Navy

Thats actually a point against Tor, not for it.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
    edited February 2012

It is a point proving it is extremely far from being illegal for US government of which most LEB providers are afraid of to the point of self-censorship.
    M

• @Maounique said: It is a point proving it is extremely far from being illegal for US government of which most LEB providers are afraid of to the point of self-censorship.

And what about illegal activities that trace back to an exit node hosted by an LEB provider? Will that not create (unneeded) problems for the node operator?

edited February 2012

@Kairus said: And what about illegal activities that trace back to an exit node hosted by an LEB provider? Will that not create (unneeded) problems for the node operator?

It will create, as long as they fear so much that they reply every bot or dont forward the complaints to the operator.
    Good operators put up a page stating that is an exit node with links and pictures about what that means, they detail which ports are allowed and where to send the complaints. Bots will automatically contact the provider, humans that have brains and can read, will not.
    Some DCs are hosting Tor for many years, some others are hosting high debit exit nodes with 0 problems (of course, if we dont count the automatic DMCA notices and the admins that have no idea what they are dealing with, and even those have 0 consequences since the operators and DCs are shielded by the law). If Tor would be in any way illegal, that would have not been possible, there would have been nodes seized, court cases to be answered, etc.
    Besides, a non-exit node will never generate any problems, if we consider complaints a problem, so, nobody should have any problem with them, at least not justified by the fear of consequences. If they are worried about the BW, tho, of course, they would want to sell 5 VPSes that use 1/10 of the advertised BW instead of a Tor non-exit node that will use 2 times more than what they have in reality. If they would have shut up and didnt make up acusations against us to justify that, I wouldnt even get an account here. Found this thread by chance while looking for VPS providers, the lies were so gross that I had to expose them. Now they try to end it some how, out of boredom or whatever, but it wont happen as long as the lies and attacks continue.
    M

• @miTgiB said: What a freaky waste of bandwidth, how many are using up this amount? I mean really, I have a small service, but it is still over 20 nodes and I burn 100mbit between LA and Charlotte combined.

Why not?
    I have the money for it, i pay for the BW, i run my own /24's of PI at each location (so no Abuse issues) and the ISPs are informed about it.
    I gladly help some users in other countries to have the freedom we enjoy here, and i also gladly pay for it and take the abuse for it.

Some ISPs may not like/want it, we don't like it much either, that is the ISPs decision.

edited February 2012

@William said: Some ISPs may not like/want it, we don't like it much either, that is the ISPs decision.

Yep, but when the ISP feels compelled to make up lies to justify that position (even if nobody asked for a justification and they dont have to, even if asked) and insult "95%" of the users and volunteers, then we have a problem.
    Not everyone has the BW for it, and it is that more true in the LEB market. This will solve itself as the net grows and BW is aplenty and cheaper all the time.
    Even now, Tor is fast enough for all legit uses (maybe less so for watching blocked TV live, but there is sopcast for that, everyone can watch BBC, CNN, RAI, EuroNews, Al-Jazeera etc, without the need of Tor).
    M

Thanked by 1torsurfer