Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VirMach is hiring! Los Angeles, Oklahoma City & Remote
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VirMach is hiring! Los Angeles, Oklahoma City & Remote

VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

As we move into 2018, VirMach will be focusing on restructuring & improving our in-house support. Several part-time positions need to be filled, some of which can be combined for full-time work. We are interested in employing people locally in Los Angeles, CA and Oklahoma City, OK – however, remote & contract work will still be considered.

Positions

System Administrator

• Setting up, upgrading, and maintaining system efficiency & stock levels
  • Make recommendations for infrastructure changes
  • Evaluate system performance, maintain & prevent abuse
  • Provide tier 3 technical support via ticket system & phone
  • Identify/resolve issues with & improve our platforms; communicate with developers
  • Handle abuse complaints such as ToS & copyright infringements, subpoenas
  • Become familiar with our product offers, policies, & procedures
  • Setting up servers, applications, and initial configuration
  • Communicating with outsourced support
  • Basic day-to-day miscellaneous tasks such as correcting automatic orders
  • Some on-call work for emergency downtime maintenance

L3 Technical Support

• Provide tier 3 technical support via ticket system & phone
  • Setting up applications, and initial configuration
  • Some daily tasks
  • Handle some abuse complaints
  • Monitor servers & usage levels

L2 Technical Support

• Provide general/technical support via ticket & phone
  • Some daily tasks

Developer

• Improve our current automated systems & code additional modules
  • Work with existing API
  • PHP, Python, Smarty

Apply

Please private message us on LET. Include the name of the position(s) you're interested in, whether you would be interested with remote or local work, and CV/Resume. You may also apply on LinkedIn.

Feel free to include any additional information.

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK MikePT

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Very nice! Quick question though, is it common in America to not include the potential pay range in the job ad?

Thanked by 2WHT Junkless
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@trewq said:
    is it common in America to not include the potential pay range in the job ad?

Unfortunately. Which is why I love using Glassdoor to see if a job is worth applying for or not after checking comparable positions at the same or different company.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@trewq said:
    Very nice! Quick question though, is it common in America to not include the potential pay range in the job ad?

Extremely common. It's not without reason, it's just that some people don't like it. One candidate may never be told what they were willing to pay at the top end of the scale, and they could be screwing themselves on negotiation by setting limits. Set it too low, good applicants skip. Set it too high, lose chance to offer someone lower because of their resume and current cost of living (as indicated by current/previous salary elsewhere).

Not everyone hires like that, but plenty do. It's valid, whether or not people like it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2018

A wise man once said, if they do not tell you how much you will get paid, you get a shitty salary.

So not even worth to apply, waste of time.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

If you wish to provide remote contract work, you can send us a quote in your message. Otherwise, at least in the United States, we really do need to first review your resume to properly negotiate an appropriate rate.

As @jarland stated, we (and other companies) don't want to lose good applicants by setting the number too low, or lose the chance to offer a lower rate to hire someone else that may not be able to work as efficiently based on their experience. We are open to giving anyone a fair chance and since the salaries in the industry might vary by as much as +/- 40% from the average, it's not very wise to lock in a price (for both parties involved) without comparing all applicants, taking into account all factors, and negotiating salaries fitted to each party's specific aptitude & requirements. We encourage everyone interested to apply, as we are open to reasonable negotiations. However, if you believe it's not worth your time to apply, you are most likely not the type of candidate that we're interested in hiring.

I recommend using Glassdoor as @MasonR suggested. The negotiated rate will be within the range of each specific position/area.

• WSSWSS Member

I'll be damned if I'd move to LA. I want MORE remote than all of the shit being rapidly being built around me.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @WSS said:
    I'll be damned if I'd move to LA. I want MORE remote than all of the shit being rapidly being built around me.

Move to OKC. US's largest city when measured by square feet.

@virmach What are you doing in OKC? :) You should post this at jobs.techlahoma.org, and there is the Techlahoma #jobs Slack channel. There are some cats in OKC and Tulsa who would like to hear about this.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2018

Having worked for @VirMach for about a year, I absolutely vouch for this job offer. I was a L3 / System Administrator there, cannot disclose much due to our NDA, which I obviously respect.

I can say that payment always arrived accordingly, Golestani is a great guy to do business with. He's calm, wise, but you'll need to be good on what you do. He will spend some of his time training you so you can learn the ropes (this doesn't mean he will teach you how to manage a server), so take that chance and learn. Spend some further personal time checking all policies, servers, and everything else.
    I am pretty sure that the ideal candidate(s) will have a job for a long time.

Other than that, this is a company that is always willing to improve, expand and invest wherever is needed. It's a company that was built on the concept to provide the best support and service possible, and they are with this thread, looking to hire additional support techs/sysadmins to improve even further. This is not the traditional VPS hosting company we see in every thread in LET, at all. It's much more exciting and challenging than most companies around. You'll have an opportunity to grow in your career. So in case you're a geek looking for a decent job, definitely take the chance and apply.

• Neoon said:

A wise man once said, if they do not tell you how much you will get paid, you get a shitty salary.

No that isn't true at all. It's all a matter of discussion and what you can bring to the company. Sure, some companies are unrealistic but most have a sense of market conditions and will make good offers to people they want to hire.

• WSS said: I'll be damned if I'd move to LA. I want MORE remote than all of the shit being rapidly being built around me.

Goddamn right. I got offered an enormous pile of money to work at a social media network with offices in West Hollywood, but had a choice of paying $3000 a month for a closet with no kitchen, or spending an hour and a half in the car, twice a day, every day. Neither was appealing.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Damian said: $3000 a month for a closet with no kitchen

FFS :o

• Fuck the dollar, VirMach T-Shirt's essential.

Thanked by 1Dustlab
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Bitmap said:
    Fuck the dollar, VirMach T-Shirt's essential.

• @trewq said:

It allows them to find the right candidates while not discouraging by pay amount. You would be surprised how many people learn they will get a good bump up, or take a bump down for better culture/benefits they would not have explored if they saw the pay up front.

Thanked by 2caracal jar
  • @cheapwebdev said:

@trewq said:

It allows them to find the right candidates while not discouraging by pay amount. You would be surprised how many people learn they will get a good bump up, or take a bump down for better culture/benefits they would not have explored if they saw the pay up front.

I always thought it was just to allow the Employers to hold all the cards (knowledge gap of compensation). Thanks for that perspective.

• @caracal said:

@cheapwebdev said:

@trewq said:

I always thought it was just to allow the Employers to hold all the cards (knowledge gap of compensation). Thanks for that perspective.

Oh well it does give you negotiating power as well. If they like you enough, need you enough.. and have a budget to work with, they will give into your demands (even for more pay). More often than not, no matter how it plays out, there is always an estimated budget for a person when they post a listing. Many cheap employers may even ask for paystubs from current job to see how much you make and try to lowball you if you don't make enough currently.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

cheapwebdev said: Many cheap employers may even ask for paystubs from current job to see how much you make and try to lowball you if you don't make enough currently.

Haha, the bank here doesnt even need to do that, they have access to the tax authority database and read there how much your employer declared, with your written permission only, of course....

• Foodstamps included?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Dropped pm, looking forward to this.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2018

In my experience you have to tell how much you want to earn. Otherwise you will get a super shitty offer.

But then again I'm assuming you are a reasonable person. Also it depends if you have an stable salary already... I guess that if you are in the ropes ... you might accept anything...

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

I'd work in LA if someone would pay for my housing and provide private transportation to and from work. :P

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@Xei said:
    I'd work in LA if someone would pay for my housing and provide private transportation to and from work. :P

• To take any day off i wish without a word, then im in too.

Regards, Armand

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@armandorg said:

@Xei said:

• To take any day off i wish without a word, then im in too. Regards, Armand

The only way we could legit take any day off is running our own businesses. I need an AI that can create and manage countless summer hosts selling annual plans and just be gone with the wind come Fall like the majority of companies that we'll see soon pop up.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Xei said:

@armandorg said:

@Xei said:

• To take any day off i wish without a word, then im in too. Regards, Armand

The only way we could legit take any day off is running our own businesses. I need an AI that can create and manage countless summer hosts selling annual plans and just be gone with the wind come Fall like the majority of companies that we'll see soon pop up.

Seems like a plan, i could provide the attractive hosting templates for these hosts, when do we start? lmao.

Regards, Armand

• XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

Unfortunately I'm not a shady person and highly ethical. But I know you knew I was kidding. :-D

However, having a company run and managed by an AI does sound cool. I wouldn't know where to begin!

• Hxxx said:

In my experience you have to tell how much you want to earn. Otherwise you will get a super shitty offer.

I don't find that at all. If you're in a competitive hiring market then they know it, and you know it, and they know that you know. I've found the strategy of acting somewhat unconcerned and saying you like the company but need a competitive offer, results in high offers. Both times I've done this, I got higher offers than I would have asked for myself.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Thank you everyone for the overwhelming response. We will begin responding to messages today & over the weekend to schedule a call for next week after reviewing your resume.

• Cool.

@willie said:

Hxxx said:

I don't find that at all. If you're in a competitive hiring market then they know it, and you know it, and they know that you know. I've found the strategy of acting somewhat unconcerned and saying you like the company but need a competitive offer, results in high offers. Both times I've done this, I got higher offers than I would have asked for myself.

• XeiXei Member

Is working for a company here the same as working for a local company as a system admin? I'm not sure why... but I always believed the pay would be significantly less than IT work you can find locally.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited January 2018

@Damian said:

WSS said: I'll be damned if I'd move to LA. I want MORE remote than all of the shit being rapidly being built around me.

Goddamn right. I got offered an enormous pile of money to work at a social media network with offices in West Hollywood, but had a choice of paying $3000 a month for a closet with no kitchen, or spending an hour and a half in the car, twice a day, every day. Neither was appealing.

I got several college friends working at big-time companies (Google and Facebook) in California, they are getting paid six figure salaries and still have roommates to afford the rent, or share the rent with their spouses to keep living there.

Another option for them was keep living in Turkey, so it was appealing for them to move there. But I wouldn't (and didn't, I had the same chance).

On a side note, about 17 years ago, I taught a friend how to program, from scratch. I mean, "what are variables" and "what a = a+1 means" level scratch. He turned out to be a genius, now he is working at Google's Android core development team.

Thanked by 2Junkless WSS