Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mailchimp less-expansive alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mailchimp less-expansive alternative

intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep
edited January 2018 in General

Hello,

I'm looking for a less-expensive email marketing service.
Can you suggest Mailchimp alternatives?

I just need basic features like:

• a decent newsletter editor
  • basic stats: like open rate, bounce rate, click rate

Mailchimp is nice and easy to use, but paying $75 per month for 6000 subscribers is really insane.
Not expecting to be free but, expecting to pay low amount for less than 10000 subscribers.

Up to now I've found Mailjet and Maigun, though Mailgun seems to rather be for transactional emails, not email marketing (so it may lack basic marketing features).

Comments

• abytecuriousabytecurious Member
    edited January 2018

I recently worked on Amazon SES. It is pretty cheap. The setup takes a bit of effort, but once you do it it is a breeze. The cost is $0.10 per 1000 emails, so for 6000 subscribers, you will spend less than a dollar. Combine it with Sendy (https://sendy.co/) which is a self-hosted service with a one time payment of $59, you can send newsletters pretty easily.

Edit: If you need any help, let me know.

Thanked by 3intovps pbgben arda
  • Or ask @mikept or @jarland about mxroute.io

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Sendy is a good option. Otherwise, if you don’t want to bother and want to go the lazy way, https://mailpeak.com and we can sort out a custom pricing.

• Sendgrid is quite a bit cheaper - should be $20 a month for 6,000 contacts & weekly sends.

• Mautic + SMTP relay

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Sendy + Amazon SES as mentioned above. Its liberating. I've tried a lot of other stuff.

• There is also Mail for good (simple). https://github.com/freeCodeCamp/mail-for-good

Thanked by 1intovps
  • intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@Yura said:
    Mautic + SMTP relay

Installed Mautic. I find it unintuitive. Haven't been able to send a test email yet, even after googling a few times and reading stuff in the manual. I see it does more than email marketing and that "more" (and which I don't need) seem to require me to read the manual in detail, just to send one test message.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • jadenjaden Member
    edited January 2018

I switched from Mailchimp to Email Octopus (they use Amazon SES for delivery) once I was paying almost $150/month. My bill is now $25/month and I get the stats you mentioned. Also has a decent editor. I'm happy with them (been using them just over a year).

My only complaint is my open rates have gone down a bit. Right after switching the open rate went way up, so it wasn't caused by the switch, at least right away. But over time it's gotten a bit lower. I don't know if it's due to deliverability of SES or subscribers losing interest.

Thanked by 2intovps kyawhtun2012
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@teamacc said:
    Or ask @mikept or @jarland about mxroute.io

Thank you for the recommendation!

@Yura said:
    Mautic + SMTP relay

Definitely our recommendation. Combine it with mxroute.io and call it a day :)

• @MikePT said:

@Yura said:
    Mautic + SMTP relay

While mailchannels is great for shared hosting cause it hives you the hability to spot spammers, what other features it has over Amazon SES?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@vovler said:

@MikePT said:

@Yura said:
    Mautic + SMTP relay

While mailchannels is great for shared hosting cause it hives you the hability to spot spammers, what other features it has over Amazon SES?

You may check their website directly at www.mailchannels.com
    Most customers that purchase a plan from us already know the product and advantages. Definitely much better deliverability than SES, as well as support, webhooks, etc.

• You can try sparkpost aswell, but you have to combine it with some other platform to store email data.

some people already recommonded sendy, so you can try that or you can use mailwizz or mailster from codecanyon.

• You can setup SES with some subscriber management application. Otherwise, sendgrid is pretty cheap.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I found out about some interesting services.

Can you also recommend some open source email marketing software that uses SMTP?
    I find Mautic not very intuitive. phpList and OpenEMM are bit outdated I think.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

moonmail.io is ok but requires an amazon (SES) account

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

@intovps said:
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I found out about some interesting services.

Can you also recommend some open source email marketing software that uses SMTP?
    I find Mautic not very intuitive. phpList and OpenEMM are bit outdated I think.

Sendy once again. You won’t be desapointed with it.

Thanked by 1intovps
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Only sendy and ses combo , very cheap and very effective

Thanked by 1intovps
  • Sendy and SES user here too. It's great.

Quite some Sendy fans here. :) Does it also work with a SMTP server or only with Amazon SES?

• elasticemail.com

150,000 emails free/month

Thanked by 2akhfa arda
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

intovps said: Quite some Sendy fans here. :) Does it also work with a SMTP server or only with Amazon SES?

I use amazon ses for both and works just fine and very cheap .

I use separate regions for marketing and transactions emails .

• @mgilang said:
    elasticemail.com

How does the deliverable level? Is it good?

• @intovps said:
    Quite some Sendy fans here. :) Does it also work with a SMTP server or only with Amazon SES?

In it;s feature page, it mentions working with others SMTP servers too

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited January 2018

I love MXRoute (in NY). I have mixed feelings about the .io sister company that is located at Portugal. I'm a USA fan.

How is the smtp relay service provided by the .io part?
    But knowing @jarland is probably an A++ service.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • mgilangmgilang Member
    edited January 2018

@akhfa said:

@mgilang said:
    elasticemail.com

How does the deliverable level? Is it good?

never tried, my friend does. he said good, about 80-90% mail get to inbox rate

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • Hxxx said: How is the smtp relay service provided by the .io part?

It is just reselling MailChannels at smaller amounts than you can get normally. You get a direct MailChannels account and route your emails directly to the MainChannels relay.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Sendy is a good option. Otherwise, if you don’t want to bother and want to go the lazy way, https://mailpeak.com and we can sort out a custom pricing.

Might as well as name it Mailbucks :)

• Sendy does work with other SMTP servers, but you don't get the same level of insight

Thanked by 1intovps
  • @intovps

What was your decision?