Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you run on your 512MB VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you run on your 512MB VPS?

2»

Comments

• ckissi said: RAM load (400MB)?

Yes

• @jvnadr I've noticed some RAM issues during backups. A lot of buffered ram and it won't get free until I restart the VPS. Did you experience this? I assume you're on nginx there.

• @serverfood said:

@dergelbe said:
    I ran a webserver for as few years on a 512Mb VPS. It had a few domains. One was Drupal, one ZenCart and the other DIY. VPS had Webmin running and mail and all the stuff that related to websites. All on CentOS with Apache. And it worked.

One point so, the SPAM/Virus checker had a high memory demand and from time to time and sometimes brought the whole VPS down. With out server side SPAM/Virus check it could run for a long time.

If you are thinking of 512Mb and some websites think slim server and go for Centminmod or some other slim nginx based servers. They get probably more out of your RAM than Apache.

what?! you can run drupal with 512mb VPS? is it old one? v5 below?

I don't recall that, it was few years ago. V.5.* or even earlier is quite possible. BTW, It was ClamAV that made the VPS stall and that I disabled eventually.

• It's funny how far LET has come, from "what can you run on a 32/64/128 MB VPS" all the way up to 512 MB ;)

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • SOFTETHER!!!

• with the available deals I wont go below 1GB now..

• lbft said: It's funny how far LET has come, from "what can you run on a 32/64/128 MB VPS" all the way up to 512 MB ;)

It's because the updated OS and software. While you could run several WP blogs in a 64MB RAM, the LEB tutorial for that was written based on Debian 5, IIRC. Now, with Debian 9 as the current edition, it is impossible even to run OS alone (the installer needs at least 128MB)...

• @jvnadr said:

lbft said: It's funny how far LET has come, from "what can you run on a 32/64/128 MB VPS" all the way up to 512 MB ;)

It's because the updated OS and software. While you could run several WP blogs in a 64MB RAM, the LEB tutorial for that was written based on Debian 5, IIRC. Now, with Debian 9 as the current edition, it is impossible even to run OS alone (the installer needs at least 128MB)...

LIES! ALL LIES!

• Librenms
    UniFi controller
    OpenVPN

• I actually have Debian 9 running in 64MB, but I don't suggest it.

• cheapwebdev said: LIES! ALL LIES!

????

WSS said: I actually have Debian 9 running in 64MB, but I don't suggest it.

I once tried to install Debian 9 minimal on 64MB memory and I didn't get it. How did you manage it? Copying ready installation with dd or by using swap?
    In any case, I suppose that even if installed it, it is barely responsible to even the simplest tasks, or not?

• @jvnadr said:
    I once tried to install Debian 9 minimal on 64MB memory and I didn't get it. How did you manage it? Copying ready installation with dd or by using swap?
    In any case, I suppose that even if installed it, it is barely responsible to even the simplest tasks, or not?

It's an OVZ. It barely does VPN, but it's running. For now. It may go back to Wheezy, because otherwise it's fairly useless.

• @WSS I'm gonna try it again with LXC in terminal. Last time I tried in a proxmox server, I failed. BTW, on a 128MB LXC, it is working fine as a low traffic vpn server and an icecast server in the same box.

• @jvnadr said:
    @WSS I'm gonna try it again with LXC in terminal. Last time I tried in a proxmox server, I failed. BTW, on a 128MB LXC, it is working fine as a low traffic vpn server and an icecast server in the same box.

Why?

I mean, I have a 32MB KVM running-barely, but there's not a hell of a lot you can do with it these days. Throwing an old 2.0 kernel on emulated ancient hardware might work for something, but then with the Linux TCP stack, you've got plenty of gremlins to deal with.

• WSS said: Why?

Oh, just for fun, learning to tweak and testing. Not in real environment and not active anymore!

• Systemd fucked yall.

• @jvnadr said:

WSS said: Why?

Oh, just for fun, learning to tweak and testing. Not in real environment and not active anymore!

KVM. 16MB. NE2K. DO IT.

• Dynamic sites will run like a champ no problem. Only if you bump up the caching on php and mysql will you run into an issue. However with swap abilities in kvm it's a non issue as long as you run a nightly script to move data from swap into ram assuming it's available.

• I remember running 1.2.x with X11 in 24MB on a 486SX, but "fast" meant that a reboot took less than a day, and compiling, less than a week. Of course, having a 40MB HD with half being swap and the root over a SLiRP'd NFS

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

@WSS And I thought I was old! I started working at 1989-1990 (in media sector - tv and radio) and a colleague of mine rendered a TV ident (an earth that turns with the station logo using... AutoShade no, 3dStudio from Autocad!!!) in a 486SX loaded with Win3 and a tv out. A 12 second ident took ~3 days to complete! The same period, we used a lot of amiga (500, 500+, 2000 and the incredible 4000) for graphics. Much much faster! What an era!

• My small website.

• On a 512 MB VPS I hold FEMP with 5 websites.

• I've installed Debian 9 on a 64MB KVM; I think I installed wheezy, pinned the kernel, and dist-upgraded to stretch. The modern stock kernels are too big to boot, I think, even before getting to initramfs, so I don't think swap will help. A custom kernel might do it.

• @jvnadr said:
    @WSS And I thought I was old!

This was 1996 or so. Poboys ain't got moneys for computators. I never did get an Amiga until like '99.

• Asterisk server. There's also an NX server and LXDE desktop that I use sometimes.