Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password management tools for fucking idiots - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password management tools for fucking idiots

1235»

Comments

• @Nekki

It might sound strange coming from a guy who's obsessed with security but, frankly, just take the one that is really easy to use, supports all relevant systems, phones, etc, and hasn't an abysmal track record. Do not look for "really, really and proven secure"!

Reason: a) They all aren't (can't really be) secure anyway (secure as in "withstands a major player attack). b) in the scenario you describe "easy to use" is much more important than "highly secure". A mediocre solution that is actually used is by far better than a high end one that isn't used due to "that's so difficult!". c) Assuming your friends and family are plus or minus Tom, Dick, Mary normal folks high-end security simply isn't needed.

In other words: Your problem isn't "A major chinese crime gang is trying to hack my sister". Your problem is "Yuck! Everybody and their dog is so fucking careless and yesteryear and I really want them to have at least some basic security" (in a way easy enough to not need my help every other week) - Target for a system that all of them (incl. grandma Elsi) can and will and feel well to actually use.

Probably the most important feature of whatever you choose? A button that automagically creates reasonably long and complex random passwords and fills them into whatever new entry is created.

@Harzem said:
    SallaPass (tm) - Created by Harzem (R)

I only ever need to remember [a very short "password" part]. Then I can attach a website name, account name, password version (1,2,3 etc) and it produces a unique [arbitrarily long and complex] password.

[slightly edited for generality by bsdguy]

Bravo! Excellent approach. Gives you good quality and unique per site pass phrases. Plus a not changing easy to remember short "base" (effectively a key) password for the user. Such that approach solves pretty much the whole problem set incl. the human one. Well thought out.

Thanked by 1Harzem
  • @bsdguy said:
    @Nekki

It might sound strange coming from a guy who's obsessed with security but, frankly, just take the one that is really easy to use, supports all relevant systems, phones, etc, and hasn't an abysmal track record. Do not look for "really, really and proven secure"!

That’s all I’m going for. The folks using this do not have anything super-secret to protect, and anything they do I’m taking care of for them. This is just for capturing your average website login.

• For $200 a month, I'll remind you what your passwords are.

... or you can go with LastPass, it's quite good.

• Wow, did we just witness @bsdguy praising someone (@Harzem)? Or did I miss something?

Thanked by 3Yura Harzem agonyzt
  • I can beat @Aidan's price: for only $100/month, I'll send you as a reminder an encrypted text file with all of your passwords on the last day of every month. +$1 if you want the file sent via mxroute.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @angstrom said:
    Wow, did we just witness @bsdguy praising someone (@Harzem)? Or did I miss something?

Where's the problem? When someone says something utterly false or talks BS I say it clearly. And when someone designs or does something really well, I also say it clearly. In this case @Harzem found a very good solution for a not that easy problem set (which he also understood and analyzed properly to start with).

Thanked by 1Harzem
  • @bsdguy said:

@angstrom said:
    Wow, did we just witness @bsdguy praising someone (@Harzem)? Or did I miss something?

Where's the problem? When someone says something utterly false or talks BS I say it clearly. And when someone designs or does something really well, I also say it clearly. In this case @Harzem found a very good solution for a not that easy problem set (which he also understood and analyzed properly to start with).

No problem! Just asked whether we had witnessed something. Einen guten Rutsch to you! :-)

• @angstrom, mass hallucination

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Using LastPass here, runs really well. Just remember to disable auto filling in websites like whmcs admin, you will set your admin password for client passwords etc. I just disabled it for all websites.

Other than that, its awesome.

• LastPass is the only alternative. More important it is supported and maintained by the best Remote Access in the business, LogMeIn. Proven security track.

@MikePT said:
    Using LastPass here, runs really well. Just remember to disable auto filling in websites like whmcs admin, you will set your admin password for client passwords etc. I just disabled it for all websites.

Other than that, its awesome.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Lastpass works for me well. Browser extensions and app fill in android. I don't have any iOS or Mac so can't tell about them. Seems a better option than others.